Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What was your first fountain pen.

Thanks

Default Re: What was your first fountain pen.

The first I ever had was a Parker Vector, asked my parents for it at a bookstore visit when buying school accessories. The second "first", when the hobby started, was a Diplomat Esteem chosen on its sleek look when in University. Sadly it broke. Picture with an old phone:

Thanks

A Sheaffer school pen. An Adult Person told me this was not a real fountain pen, because it had a cartridge. But there was no way to get a "real" fountain pen.

There were several more SSP's after it, a black plastic Waterman, a slightly nicer Waterman, a very thin Sheaffer - all have disappeared, some have been replaced. And, er, a few others. They still can't beat a SSP for downright refusal to die or fail.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to scrivelry For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (October 29th, 2016)

Thanks

I have a GEHA and then a Pelikano. Still addicted to the nicer siblings of the Pelikano

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

My first FP was a blue Pelikan Pelikano end of the 70s.
    It did not survived my "beloved" treatment after several years.
    I can't really remember why it finally died, but I think I chewed the end of the barrel until it was destroyed)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,424 Posts

Sheaffer school pen

Thanks

My first fountain pen was a Pilot Metropolitan with a fine nib that I wasn't all that impressed by. I still loved the pen and used it everyday, it just wasn't the right nib for me. I got it as a christmas present and still have it, but replaced the nib with a Plumix nib mainly because I dropped the pen and destroyed the old nib! Oh man I was devastated that day haha.

Thanks

As a kid I had very briefly a Sheaffer that I bought at the local 7-11 convenience store. Less than a week later it had been confiscated by my parents. Fast forward about 30 years to 1998. Back to fountain pens. A Lamy Al Star which I still have. I have a 1.1 stub nib in it now. Originally it was a medium I think.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

Technically I guess my first was one of the fountain pen style calligraphy kit things, around 20 or so years ago. No idea what the brand was. Aside of that, I don't think I had any until a few years ago, I picked up one of those Bic Easy Clic pens (purple with a black cat!) at the grocery store. :P

Thanks

It was a Parker 45 silver with a golden ring. It was a present from my parents. I still have it. :-)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesuo For This Useful Post:

titrisol (October 31st, 2016)

Thanks

My first pen was a parker 21 that was given to my grandfather by the Commanding officer of a Naval Portuguese war vessel for service to all men under his command, this was a personal gift, not an official one, really nice gesture in my view. My grandfather passed it on to me along with a few others. The first one I used on a daily bases was a my father's Montblanc 310.

This was the vessel.

These are the pens I refer above:

These, from all my pens are the ones I will never, but never, get apart with, for sure!

After that it went out of control!!!
    Last edited by piscov; November 3rd, 2016 at 04:04 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Best regards
    Vasco

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to piscov For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (November 1st, 2016), Freddie (October 31st, 2016), Hawk (October 31st, 2016), jar (October 31st, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (October 31st, 2016)

Thanks

Hmmmm....I know it was a Parker of some sort that I had in Primary 1 ( born and raised in Scotland ) when I was 5 but when the new school was built when I was in Primary 3, we were all using pencils and ballpoints by that time.

David

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

For years, when answering this question (at FPN) (on FPN?), I believed that my first fountain pen must have been a Pilot Varsity or a Parker Vector. A couple of years ago, I remembered, OH RIGHT! In 1979 or 1980, I bought a Pelikan fountain pen - green body, black cap, gold-plated steel nib - at the art supplies store near where I lived. I'd been already deep in the habit of browsing art and office supplies stores for various ballpoints and felt-tips and markers. When I saw the Pelikan, I didn't buy it right away. I had to think about it. Also, it cost more than the pens I was used to buying.

Why did this pen slip my memory?

Probably because I ignorantly filled it with India ink and didn't use the pen for long.

But, yeah, that was my first fountain pen.

Thanks

I think it was a turquoise Scripto squeeze filler.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 600 Posts

Manuscript Calligraphy pen--a Christmas present in 4th grade. Came with a few different nib sections. Can't seem to find it in the drawer it used to be in! ;(
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Mine was a Parker Vector at school. I probably went through two or three of them, usually after the caps had cracked to death. I remember the age-old question of whether to use two small cartridges (one spare in the barrel) or one long cartridge with the "emergency tank" bit at the end you had to flick to get out. Either way, it was Quink Washable Blue which was useful for keeping clothes clean and worked with those magical eraser pens. I recently found some old school notes and they were barely legible after the infamous fade.

Towards the end of school I bought a Sheaffer 440, which I still have, and love.

Thanks

I went expensive for my first fountain pen. At the time I didn't understand them very well and didn't think I'd end up liking them so much. The plan was to purchase and own ONE pen, thinking that having one nice pen would be enough. So I bought a used MB 145. It's become a bit of an obsession very quickly.

Thanks

Hey- now don't laugh at me here...

Years ago I worked in a college bookstore. They got these plastic tipped fountain pens (Fountain Pentel they were called then). I used a couple then they disappeared and you couldn't get them anymore. I searched for more and about 25 years later I ran into a Pentel rep and they told me they were still available in Japan, and so I discovered Jet Pens and I got a few more (Now they call them Tradio). I wound up with a Pilot Metropolitan, and later a Pentel Tradio regular fountain pen (reviews trashed it, but I swear, it's one of the smoothest nibs I've got).

Anyway- the plastic tipped fountain pen turned out to be my 'gateway' pen. Now I'm broke (!) but have lots of cool pens.

dan

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dankdan63 For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (November 1st, 2016), titrisol (November 2nd, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,775 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dankdan63 View Post
    Hey- now don't laugh at me here...

Years ago I worked in a college bookstore. They got these plastic tipped fountain pens (Fountain Pentel they were called then). I used a couple then they disappeared and you couldn't get them anymore. I searched for more and about 25 years later I ran into a Pentel rep and they told me they were still available in Japan, and so I discovered Jet Pens and I got a few more (Now they call them Tradio). I wound up with a Pilot Metropolitan, and later a Pentel Tradio regular fountain pen (reviews trashed it, but I swear, it's one of the smoothest nibs I've got).

Anyway- the plastic tipped fountain pen turned out to be my 'gateway' pen. Now I'm broke (!) but have lots of cool pens.

dan

Clerk at a pen store talked me out of buying one (Fountain Pentel) and I've regretted it ever since.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Pilot plumix from a dept. Store.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks

I remember a Parker that was bought at Peoples Drugs (an old Washington DC area chain, ultimately acquired by CVS) about 1970, and a Calligraphy pen with four or five nibs, maybe a Sheaffer, a few years later. I don't have either of these anymore, so the first of the current batch is the Waterman Phileas I got in 2006 or 2007.