Thread: Looking for understated pen w/ steel nib to customize

Thanks

Default Looking for understated pen w/ steel nib to customize

So in my search for the perfect writing instrument I have decided to get a pen based on looks and send the nib to get customized. I would love to get a Pelikan M200 in black and send the nib to be turned into a japanese EF but I am wondering if there is another pen that people have fallen in love with under the price of a M200 that I could send off for work.

Only requirements are that it must be black (silver of highlights are fine) and it should have a steel nib (unless you know of a vintage pen with a gold nib that would be a solid choice at a good price). The M200 is appealing to be because it is piston fill but I am not picky about the filling system.

Let the suggestions begin

Thanks

When I read your subject line and before I opened the post, I immediately thought of the Pelikan m205 Classic Black Silver. Goodness it cannot get any classier than that, in my opinion, if you want a steel nib. If you are willing to go up in price & get a gold nib, the Souveran 405 in Black/Silver would be a great choice.
    But then again, I love Pelikans and am rather biased in that direction!
    Last edited by Sandy M.; February 22nd, 2013 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

Maybe a Sheaffer Balance or Parker Vacumatic if you want to go vintage...
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Balances and vacumatics can't really be called understated! Which is why I love them!
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Around here, a fountain pen is not understated. Platinum Preppy's get attention. I like my black Pelikan m200, m215 and m250.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I think a black balance is no more flashy than a m205 or something.
    Will

Thanks

Not a black one, but whyyyy???? I like to pretend they don't exist :P
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

I have gotten some pretty strong responses from co-workers and my wife so I am planning on just using this pen for longer journaling sessions at home since I mostly just jot notes while I am at work. A screw cap is quite annoying for me while I am at work. After having a smoke VAC 700 I realized that I am not into demonstrators or flashy-er pens.

Thanks

In my initial post, it did not occur to me to also suggest one of my favorite pens, the Faber-Castell basic! It was my first FP and I love it because of its comfort (rubber grip) and it's "understatedness." I have the one in black leather. It a comes in a carbon and a black flecked mother of pearl. It has a nice weight and the cap snaps on/off. I totally understand the need for being understated at work with pens. I work in an academic setting where lots of my students are struggling to pay tuition, so I try to avoid being flashy with anything there. The Faber-Castell basic looks like a regular pen. The price is $45 USD, and it's a sturdy pen you can toss in the bag and not really worry about. I have the bold nib. What I don't know is whether or not the nib can be customized. When I purchased mine, the pen shop changed the nib from a fine to bold for me...so there is some degree of flexibility.

This pen is my "go-to everywhere" pen.
    Here is the link for this Faber-Castell line of FPs: http://www.fabercastell.com/design/p...tegories/basic
    Hope this helps!
    Sandy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrClockWork View Post
    I have gotten some pretty strong responses from co-workers and my wife so I am planning on just using this pen for longer journaling sessions at home since I mostly just jot notes while I am at work. A screw cap is quite annoying for me while I am at work. After having a smoke VAC 700 I realized that I am not into demonstrators or flashy-er pens.
    Strong as in negative responses? I mean, even if the fountain pen is plain as a lamy 2000, it is still different and will always have the ability to attract attention.
    Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Strong as in negative responses? I mean, even if the fountain pen is plain as a lamy 2000, it is still different and will always have the ability to attract attention.
    With a more reserved personality like mine sometimes strong and negative can be sononomous. I don't like drawing attention to myself so a smooth writing fountain pen that flies under the radar is perfect for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrClockWork View Post
    With a more reserved personality like mine sometimes strong and negative can be synonymous. I don't like drawing attention to myself so a smooth writing fountain pen that flies under the radar is perfect for me.
    Ah. Well then I think any pen without gold trim that isn't very large will fit the bill.
    Will

Thanks

The M215s are also understated, but have a little bit of discreet flash to them which I really like.

Thanks

Really, I wouldn't not use a pen because of fear it would be too flashy...
    Will