Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: InCoWriMo 2017

Thanks

Default Re: InCoWriMo 2017

Quote Originally Posted by frmamede View Post
    2017 will be my first InCoWriMo! I'm reading about it now, to get the hang of it, and look forward to participating, especially because I just started the FP thing, and don't have any Pen Pals just yet...
    But I think I won't be able to write one letter a day. Classes start on February, and things get pretty busy in the University. Still, gonna try and do as many as I can!
    They don't have to be long. On busy days, I sent a postcard. It's really a lot of fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. The Following User Says Thank You to distracted_mom For This Useful Post:

frmamede (December 27th, 2016)

Thanks

InCoWriMo is so much fun and it is great to add more regular pen pals,

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distracted_mom View Post
    2017 will be my first InCoWriMo! I'm reading about it now, to get the hang of it, and look forward to participating, especially because I just started the FP thing, and don't have any Pen Pals just yet...
    But I think I won't be able to write one letter a day. Classes start on February, and things get pretty busy in the University. Still, gonna try and do as many as I can!
    They don't have to be long. On busy days, I sent a postcard. It's really a lot of fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Postcards do sound like a fun option to start! Got to stack up on some!
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    Speaking of INCOWRIMO... I've participated since 2013 and I am wavering for this year. I'll decided closer to the date. But, today I bit the bullet and discarded hundreds of letters. I've kept every letter I've received since this all began and as some of you know my correspondence has been prodigious. So many people with who I've corresponded who at some point stopped writing back without a word. I answer every letter (there has been but one exception for which I'm sorry.) One or two correspondences ended by mutual decision, we just didn't have much in common, but for scores of others over these three years letters just stopped. I suggest that if you do not want to continue a correspondence you politely beg off, no hard feelings, no reason needed. Meanwhile, the recycling bin ate well tonight.
    That must have been quite a pile! I found letters from my 1995/6 writing session, and I have also kept all the letters received since 2007/8. They are in boxes, as are the Postcrossing postcards I have received via the main site and their forum.

For those who do discard (shred for recycling) letters, I do hope the stamps don't go with them - there are plenty of charities around the world raising money through sale of stamps (kiloware) to dealers.

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    Speaking of INCOWRIMO... I've participated since 2013 and I am wavering for this year. I'll decided closer to the date. But, today I bit the bullet and discarded hundreds of letters. I've kept every letter I've received since this all began and as some of you know my correspondence has been prodigious. So many people with who I've corresponded who at some point stopped writing back without a word. I answer every letter (there has been but one exception for which I'm sorry.) One or two correspondences ended by mutual decision, we just didn't have much in common, but for scores of others over these three years letters just stopped. I suggest that if you do not want to continue a correspondence you politely beg off, no hard feelings, no reason needed. Meanwhile, the recycling bin ate well tonight.
    That must have been quite a pile! I found letters from my 1995/6 writing session, and I have also kept all the letters received since 2007/8. They are in boxes, as are the Postcrossing postcards I have received via the main site and their forum.

For those who do discard (shred for recycling) letters, I do hope the stamps don't go with them - there are plenty of charities around the world raising money through sale of stamps (kiloware) to dealers.
    How would we contribute to this?
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

...For those who do discard (shred for recycling) letters, I do hope the stamps don't go with them - there are plenty of charities around the world raising money through sale of stamps (kiloware) to dealers.
    Will you share a link to more information about this?

Fred

Thanks

New thread started for charities wanting stamps.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (January 3rd, 2017), kandm25 (February 1st, 2017)

Thanks

Here is my tactic. If you are near a flea market, antiques market, jumble or car boot sale, look for boxes of unsorted postcards and make a low offer to the vendor before he/she begins to go through them. One they are categorized or put into plastic sleeves, it's too late and prices are set high (in the US, invariably $1+ each). If you buy them unsorted, you can reduce cost for each card to a pittance. When I cull the unusable cards (used or too weak to mail), I always find someone who wants them, even putting them in a 'Free' box on a pen show vendor table.

PM me if you want to do postcard swaps. Also see https://www.postcrossing.com

Fred

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Here is my tactic. If you are near a flea market, antiques market, jumble or car boot sale, look for boxes of unsorted postcards and make a low offer to the vendor before he/she begins to go through them. One they are categorized or put into plastic sleeves, it's too late and prices are set high (in the US, invariably $1+ each). If you buy them unsorted, you can reduce cost for each card to a pittance. When I cull the unusable cards (used or too weak to mail), I always find someone who wants them, even putting them in a 'Free' box on a pen show vendor table.

PM me if you want to do postcard swaps. Also see https://www.postcrossing.com

Fred
    That looks like a good tactic! Gonna try it next chance I get! Lol...
    I've seen this post crossing site mentioned in another thread. Even visited the site. It looks fun! Is it trustworthy? I would definetly like to exchange some postcards!

Enviado de meu XT1580 usando Tapatalk
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Thanks

...I've seen this post crossing site mentioned in another thread. Even visited the site. It looks fun! Is it trustworthy?....
    Postcrossing is a very-well run and easy to use site, and members remain anonymous until they are randomly selected, and even then the real name and address is only known to the member assigned to send a postcard. Postcards are not exchanged (i.e., swapped) between two members unless two agree to direct swaps. You will see more information in that regard when you sign in. You can send as few postcards as you want, and will receive as many as you send. I've had postcard swaps develop into letters as pen friends.

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; January 6th, 2017 at 06:35 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

frmamede (January 4th, 2017)

Thanks

Postcrossing is great. The lovely Paolo, Ana, Mundoo and the others do a great job keeping the main site and the forum all wonderful. Never had any problems with them. Your address is safe with the main site. The forum is a separate login. Postcrossing has been celebrated on stamps from some countries - Belarus is the latest one to have a stamp. The Dutch are greedy and have had 2 issues of Postcrossing stamps!

A lot of postcards would probably be sent to Russia (doesn't have the most wonderful postal system in the world) so it may seem like ages for a postcard to arrive there. Once a postcard you have sent has arrived and is registered, your address goes in the pool to be drawn out by another postcrosser, anywhere in the world.

I was also very active on the forum, running an RR (group swaps for postcards).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

frmamede (January 4th, 2017)

Thanks

It looks so far like I'll be spending InCoWriMo 2017 catching up with correspondents from 2016 after a long absence. Send me a PM if you're overdue for a letter from me. I'm recovering from yesterday's surgery and can manage an inked grovel/apology or three this week.
    Reactivated penthusiast
    I write letters year-round: http://postable.com/christinao

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristyOTwisty For This Useful Post:

mgmmaze (January 10th, 2017)

Thanks

Something has appeared on the main site, with the 2017 list "Coming Soon!"

Bruce, however, has done wonders with his site though.
    Last edited by Morgaine; January 6th, 2017 at 06:02 AM.

Thanks

Something has appeared on the main site, with the 2017 list "Coming Soon!"

Bruce, however, has done wonders with his site though.
    Yes the site looks terrific.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks

Just added my address to the InCoWriMo.org address book :-)

Gonna be my 2nd year going, hopefully it goes as well as last year.
    "Writing is its own reward" - Henry Miller

Get a letter from me

Thanks

There's quite a few names I recognise signed up, also a few new ones! I have been promoting Bruce's site.

I'm getting excited...
    Last edited by Morgaine; January 6th, 2017 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks

Is there going to be a spreadsheet like last year. That was awesome and so easy to make a list from and keep track of people

Thanks

I don't know about a spreadsheet this year, but Bruce has an address book on his site to be visible later next week.

Thanks

*spares at letters postmarked for 2016 that I didn't reply to.*

... Maybe I'll just reply to those this year instead of putting my name up on the list.

Thanks

I will be participating. I usually get all 28 out, but not necessarily one a day.
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin_Ute For This Useful Post:

distracted_mom (January 16th, 2017)