Thread: When Sailor bottles make you give up !!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Default When Sailor bottles make you give up !!!

So after a long time dealing with the ever annoying Sailor bottles i finally gathered enough empty Akkerman bottles to do the deed.

Ohhhhh Happy Day
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

amk (November 7th, 2016), Bogon07 (November 8th, 2016), Chrissy (November 6th, 2016), datainadequate (November 7th, 2016), gylyf (January 2nd, 2017), jodylud (November 9th, 2016), Jon Szanto (November 6th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (November 6th, 2016), laurielindly (November 9th, 2016), naimitsu (November 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: When Sailor bottles make you give up !!!

Love this! Those flat Sailor bottles are the absolute worst. I won't buy their ink anymore because of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Nice job with the labels! The Sailor containers don't bum me out as much as they seem to others, but the bottle implementation isn't up there with the ink itself.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

bill.davis (November 7th, 2016), Bogon07 (November 8th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Nice job with the labels! The Sailor containers don't bum me out as much as they seem to others, but the bottle implementation isn't up there with the ink itself.
    +1

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
    JFT96 - YNWA

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyYNWA For This Useful Post:

bill.davis (November 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Question for the OP:

I only own one of these bottles, which held #5 Shocking Blue. I recently decanted what was left so I could put Aurora Blue in it. I cleaned everything thoroughly, including the glass marble. As much as I cleaned it, the marble still remains a pale blue. Looks lovely when all the ink is drained to the bottom.

So... do the marbles have tint, or are they all clear and get stained by the inks? I have a hard time believing this is stain, it looks like blue glass.

Just curious.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

jodylud (November 9th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Question for the OP:

I only own one of these bottles, which held #5 Shocking Blue. I recently decanted what was left so I could put Aurora Blue in it. I cleaned everything thoroughly, including the glass marble. As much as I cleaned it, the marble still remains a pale blue. Looks lovely when all the ink is drained to the bottom.

So... do the marbles have tint, or are they all clear and get stained by the inks? I have a hard time believing this is stain, it looks like blue glass.

Just curious.
    Some are clear, some are tinted and some are a solid color.

Short story.... as I cleaned them all out at once and took everything apart, meaning the cap and its liner as well as the marble, put those in a small dish and took as I needed.

Guess what.... all bottle necks are not uniformly the same size. I think the marbles are colors or tints to know the size. Why do I think this? Because I filled one of the bottles and put the marble in and it went right to the bottom! I had to pour the ink back into the sailor bottle to get the marble out and then realized they were different. Lesson learned and I checked the rest to make sure BEFORE filling any more that the marbles were correct for the bottle.

The Sailor labels are a nice thick vinyl so removing and then placing on the Akkerman bottles was actually the easy part. It was really nice to see they mounted cleanly. One gave me a small sticking issue so I used a hair dryer on the label for a few seconds and it got sticky again and stuck like it was meant to be there.

PS ~ You can see the marbles are different colors in the picture. Those are not ink stained they are the color you see.
    Last edited by earthdawn; November 6th, 2016 at 10:39 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 7th, 2016), jodylud (November 9th, 2016), Jon Szanto (November 6th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,479 Times in 4,007 Posts

Did you buy all of those bottles as full bottles and use the ink? Or did you find them as empty bottles?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

As the French say, à chacun son goût.

I've said before that I'd buy Sailor ink if it was sold in old milk bottles :-) For me it's the best ink available today by a long way.

Let's face it, very few ink bottles are ideal for all pen shapes & sizes. The Sailor bottles are fine for my use, in the way that I use them. Not to buy an ink because of the bottle..... well, that old adage about cutting off nose to spite your face comes to mind. But it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things ;-)

I only have original large 150ml version Akkerman bottles. I can't see myself emptying one of them any day soon! The bottle design (Gimborn langhalsfles) I think was originally used for ink by Waterman & others. Examples of older versions, with & without marbles, are still relatively easy to find in junk shops. Marble colours do vary, and the bottles are known for idiosyncratic sizing. I have a few stored in boxes somewhere.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

AndyYNWA (November 7th, 2016), Bogon07 (November 8th, 2016), VegHead (November 6th, 2016)

Thanks

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 7th, 2016), laurielindly (November 9th, 2016), VegHead (November 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Also of note is this FPN thread about the history of the bottle (design).

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 7th, 2016), laurielindly (November 9th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,479 Times in 4,007 Posts

Also of note is this FPN thread about the history of the bottle (design).
    Thanks Jon. That is an interesting read.

Now, all I need to do is find some of these bottles....

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 7th, 2016)