Thread: Choices

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (November 9th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 806 Posts

Default Re: Choices

Great cartoon! In our case (Puerto Rico) we have the same problem but for different reasons. Washington just appointed a 7 person Fiscal Control Board that will effectively govern our island for the next ten or so years. So now the choice is between 6 candidates for governor one of which will become, quite literally, a colonial puppet.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Interesting Times. May we live through them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (November 13th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I have a lot of nice pens. I can't find a single one that brings me any joy this morning. No delight. I can't find any music to lift my spirits either.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 9th, 2016), fountainpenkid (November 9th, 2016), gbryal (November 10th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (November 9th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I have a lot of nice pens. I can't find a single one that brings me any joy this morning. No delight. I can't find any music to lift my spirits either.
    I'm struggling to push past the consuming effect of this terrifying news as well. My whole campus is somber today.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 9th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (November 9th, 2016)

Thanks

November 5th is Guy Fawkes Day...

Thanks

I'm with you. I played a game for about an hour, that was a little distraction. Watched a favorite show with dinner. But the rest of the day has been just... I can't even comprehend this.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monkey For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 9th, 2016), Jon Szanto (November 9th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

Do what I did 8 years ago when I didn't like what I got. Keep an open mind. Do your life. Make things better where and for whom you can. It will be OK.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

CaptainRon (November 10th, 2016), Dreck (February 8th, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 9th, 2016), KKay (November 23rd, 2016), SIG9 (November 12th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Do what I did 8 years ago when I didn't like what I got. Keep an open mind. Do your life. Make things better where and for whom you can. It will be OK.
    I may make that attempt. A bigger issue is that I have many friends who will potentially be impacted to a far greater extent than anyone in the past. I live 10 miles from the border with Baja California. I have a few Muslim friends. There are a number of people that are terrified, justifiably, and I simply haven't been able to process this. Not to mention the potential for far-reaching and long-lasting effects.

If it was only about *me*, I'd either deal with it, act out, or off myself. I worry about others, I worry about the next generations.

Not since Bobby Kennedy was assassinated while running for the office (nomination) have I come close to feeling as I do today.

All that aside, thank you for offering advice - I know it is heartfelt.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

HughC (November 9th, 2016)

Thanks

A $20 trillion debt ensures a degree of fiscal responsibility will be in play. This means reducing govt. expenditure, increasing govt. income and stimulating the economy in a balanced way and it means at some point there will be pain for a lot of people, and a lot that voted Trump, if the future is to look better. Hopefully cool heads will prevail and such nonsensical policies like a trade war with China don't eventuate as it affects everyone negatively. Whacking a tariff on Chinese products ( the US is Chinas biggest export market) means Americans pay more for a lot of things that won't be made in the US again anyway and hitting the poorest hardest. A wall won't be built because the Mexicans won't pay and it's a useless piece of infrastructure for the US to waste money on that could be better spent elsewhere. We all better hope Trump does at least a half decent job and appoints quality advisors.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HughC For This Useful Post:

dneal (November 9th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,319 Posts

Neither candidate was anywhere near a good choice to me, but it's hardly the apocalyptic choice portrayed by the professional and social media.

I'm simply enjoying the opportunity to wrap myself in a big comfy blanket of Schadenfreude.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (November 11th, 2016), Dreck (February 8th, 2017), HughC (November 9th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post
    We all better hope Trump does at least a half decent job and appoints quality advisors.
    Yeah, right. Get real: In Donald Trump’s cabinet from hell, corporatism and cronyism run rampant — and Sarah Palin may be there, too

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    I'm struggling to push past the consuming effect of this terrifying news as well. My whole campus is somber today.
    Mine, too. And then we had this happen: http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/n...mpus/93572808/
    Last edited by Lady Onogaro; November 9th, 2016 at 11:58 PM.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 10th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Mine, too. And then we had this happen: http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/n...mpus/93572808/
    Believe it or not, I heard about that incident. Discouraging yet unsurprising.

In the last weeks running up to the election, I felt I needed to revisit a place in our past, so I went to the local library and checked out the series "The Civil War" by Ken Burns. I did so to remind myself what it was like to have a nation so divided against itself that... well, you know what happened. I'm not certain we're there yet, but if the hateful things continue, who knows? And it's all been given the A-Ok! by the President-elect.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Someone also tagged the front of the library with Trump's name and "no more safe spaces" ( l don't even know what you that is supposed to mean.) The staff went out and chalked a nicer message over it and the other stuff was cleaned up as best they could. But University Police is pretty lame here.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y336-A1 using Tapatalk
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 10th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post
    We all better hope Trump does at least a half decent job and appoints quality advisors.
    Yeah, right. Get real: In Donald Trump’s cabinet from hell, corporatism and cronyism run rampant — and Sarah Palin may be there, too
    We don't know yet, we will in time. At the end of they day they have to be judged on their actual performance in the job not what people think before the fact. I would prefer them to do a good job than a poor job.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to HughC For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (November 11th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Remember Ike and Warren

Ike appointed a conservative Supreme Court Justice (by the way it was a recess appointment) by the name of Warren. He also appointed Conservative Justices notably a guy named Harlan that ended up supporting Civil Rights and Equal Protection and Due Process and the prohibition of Religious Tests by States and opposing censoring free speech and ...

And then he went on to appoint that thorn in Reagan's side Brennan as well as Potter Stewart. (but Whitaker turned out to be a dud).

People often turn out to be far different than expected.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (November 11th, 2016), HughC (November 10th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Remember Ike and Warren

I have a friend whose wife was born in E. Germany. She became a U.S. Citizen earlier this year. Here are three FaceBook posts that are particularly poignant and relevant.

November 8th

On one hand, I have been more than frustrated with both presidential candidates and I was reluctant to support either extreme end of the spectrum. On the other hand, I was too proud to sit out my first election as a U.S. Citizen. I VOTED! Proud to be an American.

November 9th

Well, it's done. I wasn't going to be thrilled either way but no matter how we feel about it now we have to make room in our hearts and our minds that it could be good. The world is not ending. For those who want to leave the States now: go ahead, I'll help you pack. It's still a country like no other with people like no other.

November 10th

It doesn't matter what I think about Trump but one thing I can tell you is that he is not what drives us apart. You are. You are the problem. Many of you throw worse fits about the outcome of this election than my preschooler. Get over it and unite. The media paints this apocalyptic picture of Trump's presidency but fact is, the American people elected a president, not a dictator. He doesn't have any more rights than any other president in history. What are you so afraid of?
    You want to embrace diversity? Start by accepting and tolerating that not everyone thinks and feels like you do. This is a great country and anything can happen but you all need to get on board and show some respect. Stop the sarcasm and the stupid memes and be kind.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (November 11th, 2016), Dreck (February 8th, 2017), ethernautrix (November 30th, 2016), HughC (November 10th, 2016), jar (November 10th, 2016), SIG9 (November 12th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    On a more regular basis, though, they are the people they have portrayed themselves to be.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    On a more regular basis, though, they are the people they have portrayed themselves to be.
    Just don't confuse that with what others have portrayed them to be, which is more often the case.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (November 11th, 2016)