Thread: InCo Pen Pals for the rest of the year

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Re: InCo Pen Pals for the rest of the year

Quote Originally Posted by PenPal View Post
    Maybe this is a silly question but how does one go about getting a pen pal? Despite my username, I do not have any I would have NO idea what to write about or where to start but would like to give it a go. Not sure this is the thread for my question but it seems the most fitting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    You've come to the right thread! As for what to write - that plagues some penpals - some write what they call intro letters (and what I call akin to a CV) and I think these have been some of the most boring letters I've ever received (all about them). In response to a comment elsewhere, I wrote:

The first letter can be quite daunting. I used to write something akin to a CV mentioning some hobbies (all about me)- but now have changed what I first write. Perhaps I have always wanted to visit the area you live in or have already been. Perhaps the name of your street evokes some memory or connection. Perhaps I have a relative or friend shares your first name and then there is a little anecdote to tell (how they had posters of Tom Jones, Sean Connery and/or other music/film stars, etc – your reply could be, “It wasn’t Tom Jones on my wall but David Bowie..”).. The old fail-safe – the weather (have you been affected by the storm/tornado…?). I even imagine we are friends already.

If you have a few moments, you could have a look through http://www.lettersofnote.com/ or follow that site on Twitter – pictures of letters are regularly shown. The accompanying books (I have volume 1 in softback) are worth reading.

(link no longer valid, edit Jan/2019)

If you are quick or not, you could join my snailmail forum - link in the signature - you should be able to recognise a few names from here over there!
    Last edited by Morgaine; January 18th, 2019 at 03:23 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

melcom (March 15th, 2017)