Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midori travellers notebook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Toffer View Post
    Ordered a Davis leather works pocket notebook today, looking forward to seeing what its like, the photos aren't great on the website.
    Gourmet Pens did a great review.... nice pics to... Makes me want one !

http://www.gourmetpens.com/2012/08/r...l#.UUKpnqXns20

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    What type and colour did you select ?
    I went for the burgundy pocket notebook, looks nice looking forward to it, will have a look at that review Earth dawn, thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

For what Davis Leather charges, you really can't go wrong. It is very reasonable, even with the recent price increase.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Default Re: Midori travellers notebook

Thanks to everyone on this thread, I received a Davis Leatherworks notebook cover this week! (gift from houseguests/cousins who hijacked my computer while visiting

Out of respect to Toffer, I'll not post pictures until the OP's package arrives. But I really like mine, it's the gold one, with a stamped floral design. As soon as the zipbag Midori insert is available, I plan to add that, and this little guy will be certified road-ready. Perfect for weekend conferences, workshops, too. Very handsome, very useful!

Thanks

My Midori look-a-like. I have been using it a lot more. Added a Banditapple calendar, My work notebook (Field Notes size) slides into it easily. I have a blank notebook in it also. I don't have any pockets to speak of so I use a binder clip to clip scrap pieces of paper to the inside back cover.

Using my Brain Pocket more and more. I think it's all those pictures of cool looking TN's that have me going. by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Nice looking!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carole View Post
    Thanks to everyone on this thread, I received a Davis Leatherworks notebook cover this week! (gift from houseguests/cousins who hijacked my computer while visiting

Out of respect to Toffer, I'll not post pictures until the OP's package arrives. But I really like mine, it's the gold one, with a stamped floral design. As soon as the zipbag Midori insert is available, I plan to add that, and this little guy will be certified road-ready. Perfect for weekend conferences, workshops, too. Very handsome, very useful!
    Go for it Carole!! It will get me even more excited about getting mine!! What do you think of the notebook it comes with? I have seen reviews of the Field Notes notebook's that say they don't like fountain pens! Have you looked at any alternatives yet?
    And the Midori inserts are smaller are they not?
    KI yours looks great, is it a passport size or larger?

Thanks

It is the same size an the larger TN.

I just got my small Midori pen holder a few minutes ago. It is perfect for my needs. You clip the holder to your notebook and your pen clips to it. I figured that was a better for fountain pens. I read that the the large pen holder is a bit small for fountain pens unless you use smaller diameter pens.

Midori small pen holder came in by IvanRomero, on Flickr
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; March 25th, 2013 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks

Go for it Carole!! It will get me even more excited about getting mine!! What do you think of the notebook it comes with? I have seen reviews of the Field Notes notebook's that say they don't like fountain pens! Have you looked at any alternatives yet?
    And the Midori inserts are smaller are they not?
    Toffer, I was SOOOO hoping you'd say that! I'll be back to post pix later on.

It came with a blank Field Notes, which fits this passport size very well. I really like the notebook! I'll do some ink tests on my FN and show you the results in the pix.

I also tried a few other small notebooks I had, and will show you those results too. So far the FN fits best. I think the Midori zip envelope thing will also work well but I don't have that yet.

As for other alternatives, I did find a source for papers from Japan, including Life, and am getting a sample pack of their stuff. The source is: www.nanamipaper.com The owner is Dave, a very nice guy: we had a great email talk about the utter coolness of Itoya in Tokyo and other Japanese stationery stores. I think he's potentially "one of us." lol I'll report back when I get the samples.

Of course, Azizah's review of Eric's paper gifted originally by Steve, started that particular Geek train rolling.

Back later with more info and pix.

Thanks

I contacted "Dave" ~ I meant CHRIS lol, through his site... no reply in 3 days.

Did you contact him through direct email or his site?

I decided i am going to get one from him in a custom size... just need to hear back from him.
    Last edited by earthdawn; March 26th, 2013 at 02:41 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by earthdawn View Post
    I contacted Dave through his site... no reply in 3 days.
    Did you contact him through direct email or his site?
    Earthdawn: Dave at Nanami Paper, you mean? I emailed him, at about 1am Pacific, and he wrote back right away. Or did you mean Chris, at Davis Leatherworks? My notebook is just off the shelf, so didn't have to contact Chris.

Ok, apologizing for the pix/handwriting, et. al.--this is the gold embossed passport size Davis Leatherworks notebook cover. Next to my iPhone BookBook for reference. I just put a key charm on there quickly because it's easier to get hold of the band that way.

1. The Field Notes notebook fits great, I think you could get 3 laced up with no problem. The paper did ok with fp's, but show/bleedthrough for sure. One side use only. Feathering, yes, with the vintage pens, I guess the feed is overly enthusiastic or something.

2. This is called the 'Petite Notebook', I found it at my local bookstore (Vromans Pasadena). About the same as the FN, ref. feathers and show-through. Nice paper. This style doesn't work as well cuz it's not staple-bound for glory, but it's ok.

3. This is a Metropolitan Museum 3-pack of notebooks, I'd gotten cuz it's purty. Didn't fit within the parameters, tho I don't mind this look. These are heavy cardstock covers, and two of them fit mighty fine.

I'll use this a lot, I'm sure. A 4x6 would be nice too. The fun factor is at about a million with these things, isn't it? Why, yes. Yes it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg FN.jpg (313.3 KB, 121 views)

Thanks

Yes I meant to say Chris....

The cover looks really nice. Certainly can't go wrong for the price.

My thing is that i would really like it to be as versatile as the Midori. I was thinking I wanted one in the A5 size while I was having one made. Thing is notebooks like Clairefontaines A5 are a little wider lol. I found out they dont all follow the exact A5 widths.

Thanks

I tried contacting Chris through his website as well but didn't receive a reply so perhaps you need to contact him direct. As for refills I have found one Rhodia pad that fits and I thought I had seen a Clairfontaine one as well but will have to check that. I have seen some others I would like to try such as Apica but they are a bit expensive to ship from the States.

Thanks

I tried contacting Chris through his website as well but didn't receive a reply so perhaps you need to contact him direct. As for refills I have found one Rhodia pad that fits and I thought I had seen a Clairfontaine one as well but will have to check that. I have seen some others I would like to try such as Apica but they are a bit expensive to ship from the States.
    The Clairefontaine staplebound is the one I'll probably be using most, but I thought those odd notebooks (pictured above) adapted pretty well. Or would the over/under drive you crazy? There's also Doane, the Midori passport refill, and the one from Jetpens. Along with FN. That's quite a few!

Thanks

I would rather they didn't stick out of the leather, anyone know of a good suppliers for the UK. Jetpens seems good, but its about 12 dollars shipping over here!

Thanks

Davis Leather offers virtually the same thing for a fraction of the price.

Davis Leather
    --------------------------------
    I am but a simple caveman.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thagbert View Post
    Davis Leather offers virtually the same thing for a fraction of the price.

Davis Leather
    We know that's where this thread has got 2.
    And.......
    Mine has arrived, photos to follow shortly, it looks sweeeeet though!!

Thanks

My thing is that A5 paper is listed online as being 14.8cm by 21cm for A5 size

Here is the problem. I took some Tomoe River paper and folder it in half thinking that was the true A4 size. Thats the cream color in the middle. it is 14.8cm x 21cm
    Now my Clairefontaine notebook is still a little wider, the blue. and is 16.5cm x 21cm
    The Banditapple Carnet Handy Notebook, on top in green is a little less wide. It is listed as 11cm x 21cm

So .... are the Banditapple and Clairefontaine just not real A5 size? And if not why would they make them just a little off size?

Having someone like Chris make a custom one I can make it wider so the wider notebooks dont stick out. It just leaves me more options when choosing what notebook I put in my cover.

Last edited by earthdawn; March 27th, 2013 at 01:15 AM.

Thanks

Toffer: congratulations! Can't wait to see the pix! How's the FN paper doing with your pens and inks so far?

Earthdawn: I am so not a numbers person, those measurements made my head spin around Exorcist-style. Your custom notebook sounds like a good idea now! Maybe we need a special "PULP AFFLICTION" support group for Notebookers. ;-)

Thanks

Earthdawn: I am so not a numbers person, those measurements made my head spin around Exorcist-style. Your custom notebook sounds like a good idea now! Maybe we need a special "PULP AFFLICTION" support group for Notebookers. ;-)
    LOL... I am not a numbers person either... I had to google what was what.

My thought was that since Chris knows how to make what I/we need as a notebook cover then getting him to do a different size, which he offers, would be ideal.
    My current quest is to decide what the best size will be. At this point I am thinking, if he ever gets back to me, that a size for the Clairefontaine will be best. It will allow for most any size. While it will be a little large or wide for some at least the notebooks wont be sticking out.