Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Classified etiquette

Thanks

Default Re: Classified etiquette

As I originally stated I think the vast majority here are not making a lot of cash with this hobby. "I" just like to try new things - as tastes move along - some look for pens - others nibs - inks. That's why I do appreciate honest peeople on this forum.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Personally, if you want to haggle, do it privately. If there is an outright problem with the post, bring it up on the thread. My biggest pet peeve are sellers not closing there sold threads. Once an item is sold and the thread is done, please mark your thread as sold, don't just add a comment to the thread saying its sold. This keeps it from coming back to the top of the new threads and wasting people's time browsing no longer relevant threads. It's in the thread tools menu at the top of your original post.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Hawk (December 3rd, 2016), kevmid (December 4th, 2016), Marsilius (December 15th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (December 4th, 2016), stub (December 14th, 2016), TSherbs (December 3rd, 2016), Woody (December 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Maybe if you want all haggling done in private add it to your advertisement. After all we are all from different cultures and backgrounds, so what some feel should be done in private others like to do openly.
    I will use it as an example in office environments it's frowned upon to discuss how much people earn, where as on a building site it's standard practice, just to make sure no one's being ripped off.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (December 4th, 2016)

FrozenPen

I think it's incumbent upon members of a hobbyist forum such as this to comment upon / raise questions about anything offered for sale. That's how we all learn. That's how we generate integrity in the hobby.
    Price - well, that's whatever the market will bear. The only time I'd comment on price/value is if something is misrepresented (intentionally or not). Otherwise, I'd keep my comments focused on the attributes of the item for sale.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Imagine selling your house, and when the agent brings interested buyers to see inside, your neighbors come over and follow them in. They start pointing out what they see as shortcomings, commenting on the high price, warning about rumors of water problems and termite infestation and title problems, even if they have no idea what they're talking about. You'd have the police telling them to get off your property.

The internet enables people to do things like that. Self restraint is a good thing. It's called netiquette.

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; December 4th, 2016 at 07:17 PM.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 28th, 2018), Dreck (December 14th, 2016), fountainpenkid (December 15th, 2016), jar (December 4th, 2016), KrazyIvan (December 4th, 2016), Playtime (December 4th, 2016), VegHead (December 4th, 2016), Woody (December 20th, 2016)

FrozenPen

Fred,
    I'm thinking about a very specific case. For example, (and I'm a relative newbie so feel free to correct my assumptions) say there's a pen being offered for sale that is described as a "1960 Special Edition". But, in reality, it's not. It's really a standard edition with a 1960 Special Edition cap on it. A Frankenpen if you will.
    I would never know. The buyer may not know. And the seller may very well not know either. Actually, I'd presume the seller was acting in good faith and they were unaware of the issue too. But if a forum member noticed the problem - shouldn't he say something so we can all learn?
    It's this kind of issues I think should be commented on in a hobbyist forum. I agree that comments on condition, price, etc. would violate netiquette.
    Jim.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenPen View Post
    Fred,
    I'm thinking about a very specific case. For example, (and I'm a relative newbie so feel free to correct my assumptions) say there's a pen being offered for sale that is described as a "1960 Special Edition". But, in reality, it's not. It's really a standard edition with a 1960 Special Edition cap on it. A Frankenpen if you will.
    I would never know. The buyer may not know. And the seller may very well not know either. Actually, I'd presume the seller was acting in good faith and they were unaware of the issue too. But if a forum member noticed the problem - shouldn't he say something so we can all learn?
    It's this kind of issues I think should be commented on in a hobbyist forum. I agree that comments on condition, price, etc. would violate netiquette.
    Jim.
    In such cases, not just here but even at eBay, the procedure I follow is to assume first an honest mistake. I contact the seller back channel and politely (I know you value your high rating so just FYI ...) and in most cases I find the item gets removed or the description revised and I get a thank you response. If I do that and then get a "You don't know what you are talking about" or "Shove it" response I take the next step and report the issue to those who can remove the item.

It's only when those two issues fail that I might post something publicly.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 28th, 2018), carlos.q (December 5th, 2016), Hawk (December 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenPen View Post
    Fred, I'm thinking about a very specific case.
    I agree, though my practice is to bring (what I perceive is) an error to the seller's attention by PM, suggesting an edit. If the listing isn't edited and I am confident I am right, then I post in the seller's thread. I wouldn't want a dispute dragging on in the seller's thread that turns out to be unwarranted, or damages the seller's rep over a mistake. Still, I can think of another specific case where a man in Edinburgh sold poorly restored Frankenblancs where PMs were batted back and forth, all the while sales of the monstrosities could take place until the issue was sorted. He was eventually banned from FPN.

I try to give sellers the benefit of the doubt and treat them with respect until the doubt runs out. I'd want to be treated that way.

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; December 5th, 2016 at 11:25 AM.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (December 5th, 2016), Hawk (December 14th, 2016), Jon Szanto (December 5th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (December 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Well, for those who've felt that commentary in classified threads is fine, here's a good example that they aren't:
    http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....-Pens-For-Sale

Fred

P.S. The offender advised he is deleting his unfortunate posts, so you might not see them by the time you read this.
    Last edited by FredRydr; December 11th, 2016 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks

I could only see one part of the comments, where someone was pointing out you could buy a new one cheaper! To someone who hasn't been around the hobby so long I think that was a good thing. And they were talking about 3 dollar. People need to chill it's a forum not ebay.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    I could only see one part of the comments, where someone was pointing out you could buy a new one cheaper! To someone who hasn't been around the hobby so long I think that was a good thing. And they were talking about 3 dollar. People need to chill it's a forum not ebay.
    Part A: you couldn't see the other stuff because a bit of back-channel discussion took place, posts were deleted by the authors in good faith (as opposed to moderators censoring and deleting things without warning), and in general the issue was resolved amicably.

Part B: you are more than welcome to your opinion, but telling people to chill who have contributed a lot of material, over many years, to this site comes real close to a STFU response. Doesn't get all the way there, mind you, but in the unmoderated world we're living in here at FPG, I give cred and cede a certain power to the people who have built this place up. And that's my opinion, which I'm equally entitled to.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (December 12th, 2016)

Thanks

I did point out I could only see part of the post!!! Also that's a bit of an aggressive response! I would just say if you don't want comments don't post a thread, or add to your post please pm any questions or comments. It's not a lot to add is it!? You should visit the grand bazaar in Istanbul, all haggling is done in the street would really open your eyes to how the rest of the world goes about their business.
    This is obviously just my opinion, which I am also entitled to.
    Also sorry I haven't been here for years contributing but as I don't have a time machine that's just the way it is.

Thanks

Just as a side note, I treat all people equally, regardless of time spent. I'm afraid my respect needs to be earned.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

A Smug Dill (November 29th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

I did point out I could only see part of the post!!! Also that's a bit of an aggressive response!
    Indeed. However, I did say "real close."

Just as a side note, I treat all people equally, regardless of time spent.
    As do I. I'd say no less to you had you been a founding member. And I respect anyone who cares enough to enter their opinion in matters such as this.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I meant your response, but don't worry about it. Have a lovely day.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

When I see a pen I'd like, I try to research the price online elsewhere. This works since I rarely buy vintage. If Goulet has it new for $100 and the seller is asking $175, I just don't buy it. If I want to haggle a bit, I do it via PM.

I do, however, appreciate it if a knowledgeable member publicly points out a fake Lamy (just an example) that I might have bought thinking it was rare.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (December 15th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (December 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Everyone is weighing in. I will, too. I kinda agree with Jar and some others on both sides. I think a PM shows more class. However, that does not mean posting in the comments section is "wrong." It is a forum. As soon as we start moderating ALL behavior (like when to use caps ) then it ceases to be a true forum! Worts and all...
    If you're going to make annoyingly low offers publicly, I think that's your right...and the seller has the right to ignore you or even respond with an auction style of comments. But I vote PM in most cases. Comments, too, can be done tastefully. Just be good to one another.
    Last edited by Ebonite And Ivory; December 15th, 2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typo

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Ebonite And Ivory For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (December 15th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I don't see any problem with merited and civilized discussion of someone's prices--if someone lists something for too much money, it only helps to tell them to be told about it (though as others have noted, private contact is usually preferable). In fact I was recently guilty of this (listing a beaten up and broken Lamy 2000 stainless steel for $115), and someone kindly brought me to my senses, stressing its flaws. My general rule has been to charge the minumum amount a similar pen has sold for on eBay, where prices are the most 'real'. It seems others do this as well.
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; December 15th, 2016 at 05:39 PM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 14th, 2018), TSherbs (December 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

I saw that thread and decided to stay out of it. I don't see it as trolling to merely ask someone if something is priced as it is for a particular reason, i.e. the replating. I felt quite sorry for the person who asked and got his head bitten off for doing so. Seller certainly lost me as a buyer.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 14th, 2018 at 03:29 PM.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (March 25th, 2018), Jon Szanto (March 15th, 2018), NibsForScript (March 14th, 2018), RocketRyan (March 14th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (March 14th, 2018), sgtstretch (March 14th, 2018), welch (February 19th, 2020)