Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Classified etiquette

Thanks

Default Netiquette

I originally had to rethink my post. With the increase of sales in that section should a member call out a seller in public, or send a private message to the seller. I prefer the latter.
    I'm not in the business of pens. And many of us simply buy and sell to try different pens. That's the essence of our hobby.
    Last edited by Woody; November 27th, 2016 at 07:40 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post:

DavidtheGnome (November 26th, 2016), gwgtaylor (November 26th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Classified etiquette

I'm totally ok with commenting on price. This is a forum after all and it should be fair game. If you're the seller and you believe the price is justified, say so. If you don't like comments then you should post somewhere where commenting on price is forbidden--say eBay for example. Also I'm commenting both as a buyer and seller. This is a community and we should protect each other from overpaying. I wouldn't want to rip anyone off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gwgtaylor For This Useful Post:

Old Man (October 14th, 2018)

Thanks

I would very much like to see sellers combine their listings.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

It is against accepted netiquette to denigrate price and other aspects of another's classified advertisement. If the price is unreasonably high, reasonable people won't buy it, but some people will cast reason to the wind and buy anyway. There is a vintage Waterman currently in the classified that would fit my collection, but the condition of the pen in no way warrants the posted price. But someone else may be willing to buy despite my opinion. Who am I to interfere in others' deal-making? It's the classic "none of my business."

If there is fraud involved, that's a different story. For example, if someone is selling a well-used 1990's black resin 149 for $1,000, just don't buy it and move on. But if the 149 is counterfeit without a doubt, a comment would be appropriate. Of course, a neophyte had better not jump in on such things, since he'll know too little with a risk of erroneously sullying a legitimate sale, even if the price is not what he'd pay.

Finally, if you just cannot keep an opinion to yourself about price or other aspect, then send to the seller a private message listing your concerns, but don't expect a seller to act just because you say so.

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; November 26th, 2016 at 03:18 PM.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (November 18th, 2020), Chrissy (July 15th, 2021), Dr.Danger (November 27th, 2016), Sammyo (November 27th, 2016), stub (November 27th, 2016), TSherbs (November 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

My etiquette is completely classified, and therefore Mr. Trump is more than likely unaware of it's attributes.

As to the particular topic under discussion, I'm on the fence about the whole thing. Since no hard opinion, I tend to not comment.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

lsmith42 (November 26th, 2016), Woody (November 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

I also normally ignore the sales threads.
    But In case I see one by accident and something really wrong hit my eyes, like statements which are obvious not true and somebody want to make the big buck based on these not true statements, then I will most likely comment it.
    The "Non of my business" argument does not count for me in such cases as I consider us as a community and which good community would allow that another member would be ripped off.

But as said in general for sure the price is up to the seller (unless it is obviously not several times above the usual price).

As I said in another thread personally I would restrict the sells to active member with several months membership and a good amount of active posts. Additionally I would appreciate that selling posts would be monitored to prevent harm from our members in case of rip off, not respectable offers,....
    Not all of our members are experts and if they make bad experiences with sells here the whole forum reputation will be damaged.
    This is primarily not a selling platform, at least in my opinion.

Thanks

I think if you advertise on a forum where you can comment, expect comments. Obviously you should be respectful.
    If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

Aurora (March 16th, 2018), gwgtaylor (November 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    It is against accepted netiquette to denigrate price and other aspects of another's classified advertisement. If the price is unreasonably high, reasonable people won't buy it, but some people will cast reason to the wind and buy anyway. There is a vintage Waterman currently in the classified that would fit my collection, but the condition of the pen in no way warrants the posted price. But someone else may be willing to buy despite my opinion. Who am I to interfere in others' deal-making? It's the classic "none of my business."

If there is fraud involved, that's a different story. For example, if someone is selling a well-used 1990's black resin 149 for $1,000, just don't buy it and move on. But if the 149 is counterfeit without a doubt, a comment would be appropriate. Of course, a neophyte had better not jump in on such things, since he'll know too little with a risk of erroneously sullying a legitimate sale, even if the price is not what he'd pay.

Finally, if you just cannot keep an opinion to yourself about price or other aspect, then send to the seller a private message listing your concerns, but don't expect a seller to act just because you say so.

Fred
    I have politely told a few sellers, via PM, that their prices were easily beat (lower) elsewhere. In each case he/she appreciated the info and was not attempting to scam amyone, but I saw no reason to post my remarks in the more public thread. To me, doing so in public is like telling someone that their pants are down in a loud voice so that others can hear. This is not how I would wish to be treated.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Aurora (March 16th, 2018), carlos.q (November 26th, 2016), Chrissy (July 15th, 2021), dneal (December 2nd, 2016), Dreck (December 12th, 2016), Sammyo (November 27th, 2016), Woody (November 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

If I am interested in a pen being offered but feel the price is unreasonable I would send a PM to the seller making what I consider a reasonable offer. It never hurts to handle things with class.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

amk (November 27th, 2016), carlos.q (November 26th, 2016), Chrissy (July 15th, 2021), Jon Szanto (November 26th, 2016), Sammyo (November 27th, 2016), VertOlive (December 14th, 2016)

Thanks

If I was selling something I would generally research it's value first.... But then I also would be OK with commenting on my sales thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post

Fred
    There was an instance where a pen for sale was, in my opinion, counterfit. This was based on a similar pen in my possession with similar attributes. I chose to PM the seller instead of replying to their post. Needless to say, we didn't agree on the issue and I didn't follow up further.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    I would prefer to agree, but the sheer number of posts in the classifieds compared to the other subforms pretty much says it all. Click on "New Posts" and you'll see. Since this is an unmoderated forum, it's up to us to respect netiquette. If we don't don't, we screw it up for everyone.

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; November 26th, 2016 at 05:16 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    That used to be the case. I'm not so certain any more. Besides, I don't think our opinions matter a jot in the way FPG is run.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    ...Personally I am more entertained by the 'tales' some of the sellers spin on their sales, but there's only so many "I'm culling the herd" variations I can read before I start losing the will the live. Actually, I'm not sure which is more amusing; the amateurish tales or that the sellers think anyone takes them seriously.
    Pen collectors are always buying and selling, improving their collections, shifting their interests, and in the process usually losing money. "Culling the herd" is just a tongue-in-cheek phrase that fellow pen collectors recognize with a smile. That's all; nothing more is meant by it, and nothing more should be (cynically) attributed to it. From your post, I sense you are not enjoying pen collecting as a hobby. If you are envious that all the other collectors are profiting while you are not, you've got it very wrong.

Fred

Thanks

I would certainly agree that prices are higher here.

Thanks

Default Re: deleted post

Certainly, in the case of fraud or profiteering, comments in a sales thread are appropriate. If you think that the price is too high, or that the pictures aren't clear, a pm is preferable. If asking for clarification about the pen, and the information would be useful to others, a comment is encouraged.

Just my $0.02.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Danger For This Useful Post:

Hawk (November 27th, 2016), TSherbs (November 27th, 2016), Woody (December 14th, 2016)

Thanks

We are all entitled to our $0.02 worth, it's what makes forums fun.

Thanks

Whatever. I will of course exercise my right to my own interpretation of what I see as disingenuous behaviour. I believe it is rife among the regular FPGeeks sellers.
    Quite sad. I hope you find a pen that brings you some joy at a reasonable price.

Fred

28. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

jar (November 27th, 2016)

Thanks

I think the joy of the chase is half the fun, and who doesn't want to haggle and save a few quid.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (November 27th, 2016)

Thanks

Somewhat non sequitur in my opinion. Please explain the link in case I have missed it.
    They've been trying to claim that since you have a negative view of that sort of statement that it means that you are "not enjoying pen collecting as a hobby" and "are envious that all the other collectors are profiting while you are not," which is pretty much 1 + 3 = 7 in my book. None of it follows.