Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Classified etiquette

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Classified etiquette

For those who believe it should be all wide open on the basis of protecting others, just remember this example of when netiquette is ignored. Experience still supports the premise: Don't crap in other's classified listings. This applies to price policing and payment method policing. Absent of fraud, the terms of the deal are between the seller and the buyer.

(Of course, if you are the buyer, by all means, then insist on a lower price, or on PayPal Goods and Services, or on fully insured shipping, or any other terms you want in your deal. But do it by PM, not in the seller's thread.)
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 18th, 2018 at 06:59 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Deb (April 7th, 2018), Wade (April 7th, 2018)

Thanks

When you contact a seller, please don't post "PM sent" in classified threads. That doesn't help communication, and can confuse other geeks as to whether you've actually agreed to buy the item, taking it off the market.

I am confident that no sellers will recognize claims of "dibs" in FPGeeks, PM sent or not.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (August 6th, 2018), carlos.q (August 4th, 2018), NibsForScript (August 4th, 2018), Zhivago (August 3rd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    For those who believe it should be all wide open on the basis of protecting others, just remember this example of when netiquette is ignored. Experience still supports the premise: Don't crap in other's classified listings. This applies to price policing and payment method policing. Absent of fraud, the terms of the deal are between the seller and the buyer.

(Of course, if you are the buyer, by all means, then insist on a lower price, or on PayPal Goods and Services, or on fully insured shipping, or any other terms you want in your deal. But do it by PM, not in the seller's thread.)
    <sigh!> https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post258042

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (February 5th, 2019), Chrissy (February 5th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

I saw this too.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Just FYI, I did contact this guy when that listing was made, to buy the pen. This was initially listed at $800+.
    So kindly do not speak when you don't know anything. It's a regular M800, that usually sells for €360/$400. And used ones should be lower.

And please put a title on whatever pm you send. I am not able to open it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dhruv View Post
    Just FYI, I did contact this guy when that listing was made, to buy the pen. This was initially listed at $800+.
    It's a regular M800, that usually sells for €360/$400. And used ones should be lower.

And please put a title on whatever pm you send. I am not able to open it.
    The point is, it's very poor netiquette to crap in another's For Sale thread because you want to police prices. Perhaps you are upset that the seller doesn't accept your offers, but that's still not a good reason to crap in his thread. And who are you to tell others what the value of the pen shall be to them? It hasn't sold for a year; the market is determining the selling price quite well.

If you really feel you must vent about it, just start a thread in the Pelikan subform for discussion of going prices for new and used Pelikan M800s without attacking your fellow Geeks' For sale listings.

As for the blank PM, that's vBulletin's doing, and it's not the first time.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (February 6th, 2019), Chrissy (February 6th, 2019), Deb (February 6th, 2019), penwash (February 6th, 2019)

Thanks

The point is, it's very poor netiquette to crap in another's For Sale thread because you want to police prices. Perhaps you are upset that the seller doesn't accept your offers, but that's still not a good reason to crap in his thread. And who are you to tell others what the value of the pen shall be to them? It hasn't sold for a year; the market is determining the selling price quite well.

If you really feel you must vent about it, just start a thread in the Pelikan subform for discussion of going prices for new and used Pelikan M800s without attacking your fellow Geeks' For sale listings.

I could say the same thing to you: what business do you have in saying this unless you are one of the transacting parties, or the forum moderator?

No issues about the pm. I converted the entire mailbox to text and was able to read it. Can't reply to it though.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Dhruv;258135
    what business do you have in saying this unless you are...the forum moderator?
    [/QUOTE]

No, because if he were (or there was indeed a participating moderator) the post would have simply been removed.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

I could say the same thing to you: what business do you have in saying this unless you are one of the transacting parties, or the forum moderator?

No issues about the pm. I converted the entire mailbox to text and was able to read it. Can't reply to it though.
    If you have been participating in this forum (not just shopping the For Sale section), then you'd notice that the owner of this forum does not assign active moderator. So the forum etiquette moderation is left for those who care enough to voluntarily step up once in a while.

Fred has been one of those members and I for one appreciate that extra effort that he wasn't required to give at all.

Your response to his prompting is confrontative, and that's also not cool. Can we not resolve an issue with reasoning instead of arguments?
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (February 6th, 2019), azkid (February 7th, 2019), Beowulf50 (February 7th, 2019), carlos.q (February 6th, 2019), Chrissy (February 6th, 2019), fountainpagan (February 7th, 2019), Jon Szanto (February 6th, 2019), NibsForScript (February 6th, 2019), TSherbs (February 12th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 794 Posts

I believe this is precisely the issue. If you had sent the seller a PM with your objections regarding the pen's price then this business would be limited to the transacting parties. But the moment you posted a public comment in this forum then it becomes everybody's business.

I also believe that no one is questioning your opinions (founded or not) as to the pen's price. You have every right to object a price, haggle and make any offer you choose. But in the future please do it privately. And let's be nice with each other...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post

I believe this is precisely the issue. If you had sent the seller a PM with your objections regarding the pen's price then this business would be limited to the transacting parties. But the moment you posted a public comment in this forum then it becomes everybody's business.

I also believe that no one is questioning your opinions (founded or not) as to the pen's price. You have every right to object a price, haggle and make any offer you choose. But in the future please do it privately. And let's be nice with each other...
    I will skip replying to 3 different members separately, hope that's fine.
    I never objected to his price, not in public, neither privately. Neither do I haggle, irrespective of where I am buying from. I either agree with the price or I disagree with it. I will only ask once what the price is, and leave it at that. I never objected to his price on pm either, I asked once is he willing to price this like a normal M800 instead of some random markup, he declined, and I left it at that saying "not interested then". And another message from him after that which I did not respond to.
    Neither did I do that on the listing. I only mentioned how much I finally got it for.

As for it being everybody's business: I politely disagree. I don't go around stopping street fights. I firmly believe in minding my own business irrespective of what anyone else thinks. As long as it doesn't pertain to me, no need for me to butt in.

I apologise if I came across as not being nice with other posters/members here. Wasn't my intention.

Thanks

I just bought the exact same one with EF nib... for less than $400...
    The post in question. That is public. That is objecting to the price, or at least making them aware that you have paid less for one.

Minding your own business is not commenting at all and just moving on.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

I also think that the post in selling thread was a bad idea in that case.
    Imo it would be different if you see an offer of something still in production ridiculously overpriced, but these pens are out of production and the market regulates the price.
    And these pens go up in price, if you like it or not is another question.
    If you were able to shoot one of them for less than 400, great but this does not allow you to spoil another ones thread.

Side note, if you need a second one you should take a look at one which is currently offered on ebay for 775$ plus about 50$ shipping.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Pelikan-FH-M...UAAOSw4jxb5~01

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Bzzer (February 6th, 2019)

Thanks

I am trying to think what could be the motive of posting a negative comment on someone's classified page. I once had a question on a classified, I thought that the seller had made a mistake or had not made a defect sufficiently clear. I asked the seller a question by PM and they gave a 100% reassurance as to the correctness of the sale, and all was good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    The post in question. That is public. That is objecting to the price, or at least making them aware that you have paid less for one.

Okay now I am slightly annoyed. Making them aware, yes, I did that. So?

And please keep your minding your own business comments to yourself. I at least contacted the seller to buy the pen, you lot weren't even in the picture. At most this is kangaroo type court justice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    I also think that the post in selling thread was a bad idea in that case.
    Imo it would be different if you see an offer of something still in production ridiculously overpriced, but these pens are out of production and the market regulates the price.
    And these pens go up in price, if you like it or not is another question.
    If you were able to shoot one of them for less than 400, great but this does not allow you to spoil another ones thread.

Side note, if you need a second one you should take a look at one which is currently offered on ebay for 775$ plus about 50$ shipping.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Pelikan-FH-M...UAAOSw4jxb5~01

This was my second one. I already have a 3B M800 red stripe. Don't like the nib though. Too broad.

Edit: which is why I was looking for a finer nib. I don't keep nib units around. Full pens only.
    Last edited by Dhruv; February 6th, 2019 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post

Okay now I am slightly annoyed. Making them aware, yes, I did that. So?

And please keep your minding your own business comments to yourself. I at least contacted the seller to buy the pen, you lot weren't even in the picture. At most this is kangaroo type court justice.
    If it is a kangaroo court then the only conclusion that a reasonable person could jump to was that your comment was meant to be malevolent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bzzer View Post

If it is a kangaroo court then the only conclusion that a reasonable person could jump to was that your comment was meant to be malevolent.
    Suppose that it was malevolent, so? It is between me and the seller. Who are you to say anything?
    Also, did I say anything to you? So what's your problem?

Mind your own business. If something does not concern you, stay out of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Mind your own business. If something does not concern you, stay out of it.
    Absent a concerned and involved administrator, it has been left up to the community to address issues such as this in an open discussion. While we may not be able to take action in any immediate way, we can attempt to contact the owner and make them aware of any problematic issues that have occured. In a very significant way, it is our business, and it does concern us, especially when someone is being a dickish lout for no reason at all.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (February 6th, 2019), Beowulf50 (February 7th, 2019), Chrissy (February 6th, 2019), fountainpagan (February 7th, 2019)

Thanks

Suppose that it was malevolent, so?....
    Well, at least that's settled. And here I naively thought it was just a lack of courtesy.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 6th, 2019), fountainpagan (February 7th, 2019)