Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 147 traveller

Thanks

Default 147 traveller

Picked up a used 147 traveller this week in a pretty good deal but in a bit of a neglected state. With a good clean (was surprised how easy it was to remove the nib and feed) it's now writing beautifully - and has managed to achieve two unthinkable things;

1. Having only pens with Extra Fine and Fine Italic nibs, I am now thoroughly back in love with a good fat, wet medium line. Currently practicing my handwriting at a slightly increased size. I didn't think I'd ever go near anything broader than a Fine ever again.

2. Having abandoned cartridges about 7 or 8 years ago for converters and piston fillers, I've realised that cartridges are actually extremely convenient - and I've now ordered an assortment of Diamine colours to try out. (May get a syringe kit so I can fill some up from my bottled inks).

Has anyone else here picked up a 147 on a whim, and found them self enjoying it far more than they had expected?

I'd planned to have it locked in my office drawer for convenience at work - so I didn't have to worry about bottled ink. Unexpectedly I've found it so satisfying to write with, I've barely put it down for 3 days, and there is no way it'll be staying at the office overnight!

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stewpot For This Useful Post:

da vinci (November 28th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,512 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: 147 traveller

I'm surprised you found it easy to remove the nib and feed. I've never managed that with any Montblanc pen. I agree that the 147 is a very handy pen though. I like mine.

Thanks

My 147 Traveller is called a Sailor 1911L but I can totally understand the allure! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I'm surprised you found it easy to remove the nib and feed. I've never managed that with any Montblanc pen. I agree that the 147 is a very handy pen though. I like mine.
    The newer 147 has the new user swappable nibs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 28th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Ahhh, right. I didn't know that. That's almost like cheating.

Thanks

Default 147 traveller

It's a fairly forgiving pressure fit. I'm always over cautious about the first twist just in case, but it seems to fit just snug enough to function perfectly, without requiring too much force or effort to remove it.

Finding it extremely handy so far. It's unseated my Platinum President for the time being!

Tempted to have the nib ground to an Italic but feel like that might be very naughty!

Last edited by stewpot; November 28th, 2016 at 05:09 AM.

Thanks

It's your nib to do whatever you like with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stewpot View Post
    It's a fairly forgiving pressure fit. I'm always over cautious about the first twist just in case, but it seems to fit just snug enough to function perfectly, without requiring too much force or effort to remove it.

Finding it extremely handy so far. It's unseated my Platinum President for the time being!

Tempted to have the nib ground to an Italic but feel like that might be very naughty!

I'm not one to take nibs out unless there is absolutely no other possibilities but I still think my Platinum President is overall a better pen than my 147.

Thanks

They look very similar from this angle, but I have never seen a Platinum President.

Thanks

They look very similar from this angle, but I have never seen a Platinum President.
    They are very similar in many ways.

The Montblanc 147 though is cartridge only but has a very sophisticated carrier system and Standard International Cartridges.

The Platinum President is cartridge/converter and uses the Platinum cartridge/converter but also has a $1.00 adapter that allows you to use the Standard International cartridges.

The standard nib for the 147 is 14K while the President is 18K. Both are super smooth and super reliable and seem happy with any ink I've tried in them. The President is slightly lighter (the MB carrier most likely).

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 28th, 2016), datainadequate (November 28th, 2016), Mister5 (November 28th, 2016), pajaro (November 28th, 2016)

Thanks

Thank you for those pictures, JAR. I had no idea what the 147 was like.

Thanks

Those are excellent photos!

I'd agree that the President and 147 (to my experience so far) are both extremely consistent, well made, and excellent writers.

I feel like the MB writes a little wetter than the Platinum, which is neither good nor bad, just different. Both start perfectly and don't ever seem to skip.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Thank you for those pictures, JAR. I had no idea what the 147 was like.
    Thank you for those pictures jar, I had no idea what a Platinum President was like.

Thanks

My brother in law gave me a 147 Traveler back in the 1990's. It's a nice pen and writes extremely well, however I never travel with it because I'm afraid of breaking or losing it. I prefer to travel with more durable metal pens....usually rollerballs when flying.

It is a good document signing pen but I find it a bit too fatiguing to write with in long stretches...my preference is for slightly thinner pens. It did come with a very nice but impractical leather storage and travel case which takes up a lot of space for just one pen.

I only use mine for special signing occasions at work...or for meetings with customers that would prefer to deal with people who use big fat Montblanc pens (usually Europeans). I usually use mine with the Monteverde miniconverter since I generally don't write enough with it to justify trashing a perfectly good cartridge. The miniconverter allows me to load it up with just a little bit of ink.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dadbar View Post
    My brother in law gave me a 147 Traveler back in the 1990's. It's a nice pen and writes extremely well, however I never travel with it because I'm afraid of breaking or losing it. I prefer to travel with more durable metal pens....usually rollerballs when flying.

It is a good document signing pen but I find it a bit too fatiguing to write with in long stretches...my preference is for slightly thinner pens. It did come with a very nice but impractical leather storage and travel case which takes up a lot of space for just one pen.

I only use mine for special signing occasions at work...or for meetings with customers that would prefer to deal with people who use big fat Montblanc pens (usually Europeans). I usually use mine with the Monteverde miniconverter since I generally don't write enough with it to justify trashing a perfectly good cartridge. The miniconverter allows me to load it up with just a little bit of ink.
    How do you use a converter in it? Thought it was only for cartridges...
    I love my 147! It is super wet and super smooth. So wet, that it feathers a lot in cheap paper (which I have to use all the time) and so smooth that I think it has baby's bottom...

Enviado de meu XT1580 usando Tapatalk
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frmamede View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dadbar View Post

How do you use a converter in it? Thought it was only for cartridges...
    I love my 147! It is super wet and super smooth. So wet, that it feathers a lot in cheap paper (which I have to use all the time) and so smooth that I think it has baby's bottom...

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...-traveler-147/

Thanks

Literally gave my Kaweco mini converter away with a FC P66 last month! Might have to pick up another.

One thing I have noticed, is that because it's such a wet writer - a cartridge lasts me around 2 days.

(That said, I work in research and spend a lot of my day writing)

Thanks

That's cool! Thanks for sharing, dadbar. Will try it out soon.

As to Stewpot, only 2 days??? What do you research? Lol. Mine lasts about two weeks...

"The pen is mightier than the sword"
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frmamede View Post
    That's cool! Thanks for sharing, dadbar. Will try it out soon.

As to Stewpot, only 2 days??? What do you research? Lol. Mine lasts about two weeks...

I work in a government policy related role - so absolutely everything from public health, crime and community safety through to economics and education and skills.

In honesty, I probably take excessive notes and put far more on paper than necessary, purely because I love using my fountain pens!

Thanks

Out of curiosity, which ink is in those cartridges? It looks like something I'd very much enjoy!