Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Precious Resin

Thanks

Default Re: Precious Resin

I don't really know anything about MB (except that it seems to be a polarizing brand), but I do know the guy who wrote that needs an editor. I stopped reading him a while back for that reason. He doesn't seem to have much to say that matters, and he wastes many hours of human productivity proving it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (December 6th, 2016), TSherbs (December 4th, 2016)

Thanks

Very true, but due to the volume of them China churns out thearly odd gem must slip through.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    Lol I find Chinese pens a lot of fun. But you are right most are junk.
    On a plus though I have a jinhao x450 that's wonderful, luck of the draw I suppose.

Even a blind pig finds a truffle once in a while.

Since pigs locate truffles by scent, I'd say more often than that.
    ok, blind squirrel finds an acorn, million monkeys...etc, you get the point.

Now I suppose Waski will chime in.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    I don't really know anything about MB (except that it seems to be a polarizing brand), but I do know the guy who wrote that needs an editor. I stopped reading him a while back for that reason. He doesn't seem to have much to say that matters, and he wastes many hours of human productivity proving it.
    I could not finish any of his "essays." And I am paid to read essays.

Thanks

I wonder if someone here possesses the information on how the plastics that MB uses for its 149s have changed over the decades.

For example, we have all heard that there has been a brittle period (is it over???), and I have found over the years that the modern 2-piece barrel design, with its bayonet clips holding the section within the barrel, seems to be prone to micro-cracks that one can observe through the barrel window with a magnifier and strong light.

The one piece design seems to suffer from this deficiency less, at least in my experience, so it may be that the plastic used before the mid-80's was less brittle and more flexible, which often means more prone to become dull with use.

I would be very interested to hear if any of you have reliable information on the evolution of the plastics used for MB149.

:-)

Thanks

Since my Montblancs are among the best pens I have used, I think they are worth the price.

Thanks

The Montblanc resin feels identical to the resin on my UK made Parker 45. If you were blindfolded and felt the barrel of both pens, you would not be able to tell the difference.

I thought that article was pretty funny. Having worked in the injection molding area, I very much doubt that Montblanc uses enough plastic worldwide to get anybody's attention to make a "custom formulation." It is more likely that the resin in the pens has changed because plastics companies keep discontinuing products due to buyouts and consolidations. The high price of fuel a few years back "fueled" a lot of these industry changes. Unless you are a huge plastics consumer like an auto manufacturer, you have no clout in getting anything done especially for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dadbar View Post
    The Montblanc resin feels identical to the resin on my UK made Parker 45. If you were blindfolded and felt the barrel of both pens, you would not be able to tell the difference.
    I own a dozen or so U.K. 45s. Big fan. I love the 45. I also own a MB 146. No way in hell are they the same material.

You see the way the clutch ring on the cap cause indentations on the P45 section? Run your fingernail on the material section and barrel and do the same on the MB resin. No way these are the same plastics. The MB is harder and the Parker deforms more easily Right?

I mean I could tested but then I'd probably have to damage my pen to confirm it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    I own a dozen or so U.K. 45s. Big fan. I love the 45. I also own a MB 146. No way in hell are they the same material.

You see the way the clutch ring on the cap cause indentations on the P45 section? Run your fingernail on the material section and barrel and do the same on the MB resin. No way these are the same plastics. The MB is harder and the Parker deforms more easily Right?

I mean I could tested but then I'd probably have to damage my pen to confirm it.
    You've piqued my interest. After the holidays, I will scan my Montblanc 147 and Parker 45 with a lab spectrometer (mine does UV to NIR) to look at the surface reflectance spectrum of both pens. It's a pretty good indicator of the plastic being used.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dadbar For This Useful Post:

spiralguy (May 15th, 2018)

Thanks

I was going to do that but my neighbor borrowed my spectrometer and never brought it back. THAT GUY!

OK joking aside I seriously do want to know if they have the same or not.

Can a spectrometer also be used to tell the composition of metal? I have some nibs and I'm very curious to know if they are unhallmarked palladium silver or just steel.

Thanks

You've piqued my interest. After the holidays, I will scan my Montblanc 147 and Parker 45 with a lab spectrometer (mine does UV to NIR) to look at the surface reflectance spectrum of both pens. It's a pretty good indicator of the plastic being used.

If you want to experiment with toys. Look at both in the IR spectrum. The MB will be transparent, not so with the Parker. Not the same plastic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

The blog post repeatedly claims Montblanc has used the term for over a century. Has anyone found any evidence of this? As Montblanc wasn't producing pens in any sort of 'resin'-like material back then, it seems highly suspect to me.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,428 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    The blog post repeatedly claims Montblanc has used the term for over a century. Has anyone found any evidence of this? As Montblanc wasn't producing pens in any sort of 'resin'-like material back then, it seems highly suspect to me.
    Hey...if it's on the internet, it must be true.

Fred

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post

If you want to experiment with toys. Look at both in the IR spectrum. The MB will be transparent, not so with the Parker. Not the same plastic.
    I was planning to scan 350-2500nm covering UV through NIR....after Christmas when I have the time.

Thanks

I was going to do that but my neighbor borrowed my spectrometer and never brought it back. THAT GUY!

OK joking aside I seriously do want to know if they have the same or not.

Can a spectrometer also be used to tell the composition of metal? I have some nibs and I'm very curious to know if they are unhallmarked palladium silver or just steel.
    Ideally you need an XRF (Xray fluorescence) spectrometer for that. It would give elemental analysis.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dadbar For This Useful Post:

stub (December 7th, 2016)

Thanks

'Plastic' is a pretty useless word actually. There are so many different kinds. It's like saying 'metal' - are we talking gold, silver, stainless, or a chunk of rusty old iron? HDPE is completely different from PVC... and it's funny how 'plastic' has a negative connotation but 'polycarbonate' a positive one.

I do like the Edelschwein. I'm now singing: Edelschwein, Edelschwein, every morning you greet me...

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

AzJon (December 30th, 2016), fountainpenkid (December 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Ideally you need an XRF (Xray fluorescence) spectrometer for that. It would give elemental analysis.
    Dear Santa,

I have been a really good boy ...

Thanks

MB 147 EZID - 1 scan.jpg

I had a chance today to scan my Montblanc 147 pen for surface reflectance. The scan is a dead ringer for plain old acrylic. Nothing particularly fancy...and no sign of glass or quartz in the scan either....just fancy smooth plexiglass- even more reflective than the acrylic mirror in my library sample. I stand corrected regarding the Parker 45- that scan looks nothing like the MB...there were no particular absorption features to match to- it absorbed light across the entire spectrum from 350-2500nm (UV thru near IR).

Note that the black color of the pen absorbs light at 350-700nm, whereas the acrylic mirror is clear, hence the mismatch in the visible range. It's in the infrared where the story is "clear."

23. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dadbar For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (January 7th, 2017), AzJon (December 30th, 2016), CaptainRon (December 30th, 2016), Cob (December 30th, 2016), Finnegans (May 9th, 2018), fountainpenkid (January 1st, 2017), FredRydr (December 30th, 2016), jeffraffe (January 18th, 2018), mhosea (December 30th, 2016), sharmon202 (January 2nd, 2017), spiralguy (May 15th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,428 Times in 2,519 Posts

Geeks CSI?

My Meisterstucks are rather old and not so shiny; their resin may be a little less precious.

Fred

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I've long subscribed to the "dodgy translation" hypothesis. They would have been better off with "noble resin", I think, as in "noble steel" (which everybody just happens to know how to translate idiomatically to "stainless steel") or "noble gas".
    Last edited by mhosea; December 30th, 2016 at 02:48 PM.
    --
    Mike

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

AzJon (December 30th, 2016), Dragonmaster Lou (January 7th, 2017)