Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Precious Resin

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Re: Precious Resin

A meager post.... a headline and a link....... nothing more?

What do you want to tell us with this link?
    Do you run that website and want to increase the traffic there?
    Do you want to tell us something about the plastic Montblanc is using?
    Is there something new regarding their resin? Maybe new use case... can it be also used as computer memory... or is it health dangerous

Or did you just post the link because you found the info there interesting and wanted to share it

Thanks

Posted (on the run) as FYI. A well known pen blogger whose posts have previously kicked up some dust and he's had issues over at that other forum. Perhaps folks might be interested in his arguments here. I have my own thoughts which I have stated before and am happy to repeat here later on a larger screen.

Thanks

I mostly agree with the blog post.

here's the td;lr since you have smacked my hand for a meager post. Rightly so.

Let me preface this by saying the the petite bourgeois trappings of the brand are hideous to me and make my skin crawl. I have largely avoided the brand because of that and I am not inclined to like anything of this sort. The signifying the brand perpetuates is repulsive and pernicious and the timeless, lofty and regal European ethos they peddle is so amped up as to be almost cartoonish. But then I am an angry working class heathen and a cartoon myself. har har.

But here is the problem: I actually like the pens. Not the fancy sculptural bejewel limited numbers but the regular issue pens. Your bone stock 146 is a hell of a great pen. (but then the pen they modeled it on is too, and (imo), is perhaps the best modern production pen ever made: Sheaffer Balance)

So there you go. Life is complicated isn't it?

& it always sticks in my craw when folks harp on an on about the 'precious resin' even though I know these folks are likely more aligned with me and I admire their desire to cut through BS. But here is the rub (literally):

Precious resin does not feel like plastic. You are not going to dent it with your finger nail. It may, technically be a plastic but it feels hard almost like fiberglass. I find it has an exceptionally nice feel in the hand. Ergonomically it is a champ too. Additionally: I do not know what the properties of this material are but my stock early/mid 1990s 146 is absolutely reliable and consistent. It is ALWAYS INKED. I leave it on my desk at home usually. If I go on a trip or go though one of my multi-month medical adventures and leave it inked, when I return, uncap the pen, and put nib to paper, it writes like it was inked up that day.

I want so bad to hate MB. But they make good pen. Overpriced? yes. (I got mine in a trade many many years go with the intent to sell it. It is still here).

To make it worse, I think with the possible exception of Sailor, MB makes the best inks of any of the major companies. I have NEVER had a MB ink problem in any pen. The colors are nice, flow is often a tad dry but often good lubrication and they clean out and are trouble free with easy to use bottles with nice big grabby bits on the cap.

It would be easier for me if they made crap pens and I could just hate on them and point and laugh at all the sheeple and their bourgeois dreams but I really like the pens. I would love to one more than the one I do have and I do like a lot of their vintage pens (would love a 254, etc.)

So there...
    Last edited by stub; December 3rd, 2016 at 03:29 AM.

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

akapulko2020 (December 31st, 2016), Brilliant Bill (December 4th, 2016), CaptainRon (December 3rd, 2016), DaveBj (December 7th, 2016), EHV (December 8th, 2016), ethernautrix (December 3rd, 2016), jmccarty3 (January 14th, 2017), Marsilius (December 3rd, 2016), martykens (January 26th, 2017), sharmon202 (December 3rd, 2016), WmEdwards (December 5th, 2016)

Thanks

Also that absolutely redonkulous Montblanc Music nib/car hood monster pen Azizah Asgarali keeps posting on Instagram... hubba hubba. MB does that too.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

My pen collecting used to center on Montblanc, especially vintage. I'm not a German language scholar, but it's been well over a decade since I last read the same take on the wrong English translation. I still believe it's true until a German speaker tells me it's not. Meanwhile, "precious resin" has long been the butt of jokes (perhaps deservedly so since Montblanc was bought and used by Dunhill and Richemont to move into the luxury goods market). In any event, I don't take it seriously and I'll still make fun of it. Of course, that's a banning offense in FPN.

Fred

P.S. Here is Smeagol "Gollum" Hoffman testing the latest designs in precious resin in Montblanc's R&D lab:

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (January 14th, 2017), martykens (January 26th, 2017)

Thanks

Are Montblanc pens over priced? New I would say yes, however I have bought 3 pre owned (2 fountain pens and a rollerball) and have found them for prices that I thought were fair for a branded product.
    I would also like to add my 146 is nearly 20 years old, and still looks as good as new, so what ever precious resin is it certainly stands the test of time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (January 14th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    Are Montblanc pens over priced?
    Not if they sell. If new Montblancs get sold then by definition they are not overpriced.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (February 23rd, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Not if they sell. If new Montblancs get sold then by definition they are not overpriced.
    Internet forums are chit chat and sometimes people use language somewhat loosely.

They could say overpriced and mean what you say, a meaning close to what you might find in an economics text, used a semi-objective assessment of why something literally fails in the market place.

Or one could, in casual conversation use "overpriced" as a shorthand for "I think item is not a great value and not worth the asking price (to me, as opinion) and does not give the best return for the money.

Did you truly not understand what he likely meant (esp. given the context provided by the rest of his post)? ("I would say" ... "I bought used")?

I could be wrong but it seemed to me that there was an invisible "to me, in my opinion" etc. implied there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Internet forums are chit chat and sometimes people use language somewhat loosely.

They could say overpriced and mean what you say, a meaning close to what you might find in an economics text, used a semi-objective assessment of why something literally fails in the market place.

Or one could, in casual conversation use "overpriced" as a shorthand for "I think item is not a great value and not worth the asking price (to me, as opinion) and does not give the best return for the money.

Did you truly not understand what he likely meant (esp. given the context provided by the rest of his post)? ("I would say" ... "I bought used")?

I could be wrong but it seemed to me that there was an invisible "to me, in my opinion" etc. implied there.
    There may well be some invisible words and text but if so, I cannot read invisible text. In addition, the concept was presented as a question, not as an opinion. Whether an individual thinks something is over priced is totally unrelated to the actual fact of whether or not something is over priced. The fact that people use sloppy language in a casual conversation often leads to misunderstandings and so should be discouraged.

If someone says "I think Montblanc products are over priced and not a great value" then I would have no issues with their position at all.

AbE:

Consider this. Someone is able to buy a used Montblanc pen only because someone else originally bought it as new.
    Last edited by jar; December 3rd, 2016 at 08:00 AM.

Thanks

If someone says "I think Montblanc products are over priced and not a great value" then I would have no issues with their position at all.
    Given the context of the rest of the post that is what I deduced it to mean. Generally.

Sometimes generous readings are called for. This kind of oneupmanship and semantic nitpick just bogs down the conversation, which is what I take a forum to be, conversation and not a vetted academic science journal.

Alright. I guess all the dead horses have been beaten here. So much for this conversation.

I think this guy's blog is interesting. It can't be discussed over there *spits* so I though some might be interested in it here and also curious to know if anyone else has any other thoughts about MB resin.

Some of this cotton resin, vegetable resin, organic whatever stuff seems like marketing mumbo jumbo but Omas resins do have an odd soft feel and the MB resin has the opposite, a hard almost glass like feel. Both feel different from the ABS plastic on a Lamy Safari.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Fred, I'm a native German speaker.

precious resign is just a word per word translation of the German word Edelharz.

Harz = resin
    Edel = precious

But a better translation might be not ordinary resin, or high quality resin, or exclusive resin.

We also say Edelstein (gemstone) = word per Word: precious stone
    But also Edelstahl = stainless steel which is also not translated as precious steel.
    Or German Edelschwein which is a German pig race, but nobody would translate it as precious pig.
    Or A flower called Edelweiß but nobody would do a word per word translation and call it precious white flower.
    Edel can be translated as precious but also as not common, not ordinary, better than normal, high quality, exclusive,....

17. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (January 7th, 2017), akapulko2020 (December 31st, 2016), amk (December 7th, 2016), AzJon (December 30th, 2016), Brilliant Bill (December 4th, 2016), CaptainRon (December 3rd, 2016), Cob (December 30th, 2016), Cyril (November 29th, 2017), datainadequate (December 3rd, 2016), DaveBj (December 7th, 2016), EHV (December 8th, 2016), fountainpenkid (December 5th, 2016), FredRydr (December 3rd, 2016), jeffraffe (January 18th, 2018), KKay (December 4th, 2016), martykens (January 26th, 2017), pica pica (December 6th, 2016), Sammyo (December 4th, 2016), stub (December 3rd, 2016), TSherbs (December 4th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I'm not qualified to interpret German so just a question, when did MB start using the term precious resin and could it be that the meaning has changed since it was first used? Just thinking out loud.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Thank you, pterodactus! I like your better translations; they seem to make more sense.

Fred

Thanks

Fancy resin. Thanks for the lesson Pterodactylus. And honestly isn't that more or less what it is? Exclusive or not ordinary resin?

Thanks

Sorry should have been a bit clearer, in my opinion and with my budget/willing to spend, new mont blanc pens are a bit over priced for what you get.
    I think you can get a comparable product for less, but you are buying a branded product. Bit like an iPhone, there are better phones for less, but if you want an iPhone you have to pay for one.
    This is all subjective obviously, buy what makes you happy.

Thanks

Sorry should have been a bit clearer, in my opinion and with my budget/willing to spend, new mont blanc pens are a bit over priced for what you get.
    I think you can get a comparable product for less, but you are buying a branded product. Bit like an iPhone, there are better phones for less, but if you want an iPhone you have to pay for one.
    This is all subjective obviously, buy what makes you happy.
    Absolutely. For example I find almost all of the low end Chinese pens obscenely overpriced even when they sell for less than $5.00.

Thanks

Lol I find Chinese pens a lot of fun. But you are right most are junk.
    On a plus though I have a jinhao x450 that's wonderful, luck of the draw I suppose.

Thanks

On a plus though I have a jinhao x450 that's wonderful, luck of the draw I suppose.

Even a blind pig finds a truffle once in a while.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,744 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post

Even a blind pig finds a truffle once in a while.
    Since pigs locate truffles by scent, I'd say more often than that.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (December 31st, 2016), Cob (December 30th, 2016), Finnegans (February 10th, 2017), fountainpenkid (December 5th, 2016), jmccarty3 (January 14th, 2017), Jon Szanto (December 4th, 2016), spiralguy (May 15th, 2018)