Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for pen pal letter "tuck-ins"?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 554 Posts

Almost out of Tap Tap stickers, gonna do a run of a different bad cartoon- any requests?

Look here http://fpgeeks.com/category/bad-cartoon/ for your options.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    I got one of those as well...lol. Does yours start with "tap tap tap....?"
    Yes that sounds like the one. It truly captures the pathos and anguish of our infatuation with fountain pens.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    Almost out of Tap Tap stickers, gonna do a run of a different bad cartoon- any requests?

Look here http://fpgeeks.com/category/bad-cartoon/ for your options.
    You could always test out new ones, just an idea. Even a play on the "Rejected FPGeeks Gift Ideas" and do a "Rejected letter tuck-in ideas".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caribbean_skye View Post
    You could always test out new ones, just an idea. Even a play on the "Rejected FPGeeks Gift Ideas" and do a "Rejected letter tuck-in ideas".
    ...be careful what you ask for? :P

Seriously, I think it's a lot easier to think about rejected tuck-in ideas than good ones. I think of some of the crazier things I've read about people sending through the mail and...well. Ewwww. x_x Although, to be fair...the things I'd read about getting sent via mail weren't meant to be gifts. Like this, for instance.
    Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy...but here's my letter. So write me, maybe?

If you're an InCo pen pal, please PM me first if you'd like to write to me. Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoXFiles View Post
    ...be careful what you ask for? :P

Seriously, I think it's a lot easier to think about rejected tuck-in ideas than good ones. I think of some of the crazier things I've read about people sending through the mail and...well. Ewwww. x_x Although, to be fair...the things I'd read about getting sent via mail weren't meant to be gifts. Like this, for instance.
    Uhm ewww! Well it's for a cartoon, I'm sure he could come up with something comical.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caribbean_skye View Post
    Uhm ewww! Well it's for a cartoon, I'm sure he could come up with something comical.
    True. It can be a lot more innocent than that. And much more funny, not...ewwww. :P For instance...I know I'd go O.o if one of my penpals was like: "Dear Theresa, I've had a busy day. I only had time to eat half my Pop-Tart this morning. See?" And sure enough, there'd be a half-eaten Pop-Tart inside the envelope along with the letter. But the mental image of me peeking into an envelope, seeing that and going O.o cracks me up.

Or maybe I'd open up an envelope one day and there'd be a broken pencil inside, along with a lame pick-up line: "Life without you is like a broken pencil: pointless." :P
    Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy...but here's my letter. So write me, maybe?

If you're an InCo pen pal, please PM me first if you'd like to write to me. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 554 Posts

True. It can be a lot more innocent than that. And much more funny, not...ewwww. :P For instance...I know I'd go O.o if one of my penpals was like: "Dear Theresa, I've had a busy day. I only had time to eat half my Pop-Tart this morning. See?" And sure enough, there'd be a half-eaten Pop-Tart inside the envelope along with the letter. But the mental image of me peeking into an envelope, seeing that and going O.o cracks me up.

Or maybe I'd open up an envelope one day and there'd be a broken pencil inside, along with a lame pick-up line: "Life without you is like a broken pencil: pointless." :P
    eraserless?

Thanks

That too, if the pencil got its eraser snapped right off. :P

Thanks

Ooh, look at the new stationery.

Thanks

Nice thread!
    A few years ago I participated in a calendar thing we had going at another forum where I'm active.
    And because there was a lot of participants (all female), we made sure that the things we sent each other was cheap or free.
    Each person had four people that she had to send four gifts to, and we made sure that everyone participating got 24 gifts sent, it was a christmas calendar thing.
    And since we celebrate christmas on the 24th of december here, 24 small gifts was sent to each participant by different participants.
    We kept track of it on the forum, in a special christmas calendar thread.
    And since we knew each other really well and a lot of us were friends IRL as well, we tried to make sure to send each other small gifts that matched our interests.
    The things I received was:

Woven paper christmas hearts
    Various knitting and crocheting recipes on small things like socks and scarves, shawls and such.
    Newspaper and magazine articles about things that interests me (danish police, crime, forensic investigation, motorcycles, WW2, Greenland)
    Postcards
    Small flat easy to send christmas ornaments
    Small embroidery packages with motorcycle and aircraft motifs (yes, that does exist! )
    The sender's own printed photos
    Printed nice little stories with a christmas theme.

You could also send someone:
    Stamps, if they collect.
    Paper cut-out cards or mobiles
    Guitar strings if they play guitar.
    Guitar picks - you can get all sorts of funny ones with various print on them - or just plain good ones.
    Various scrapbooking things if that's the recipient's hobby
    Stickers
    - or look up paper crafts online and see if there's some creative ideas that you can use.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BikerBabe For This Useful Post:

LunaAzurina (February 2nd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I sent someone a nib a couple days ago. I hope it goes to them O.K.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Those are some really great ideas, BikerBabe!

I was thinking about maybe digging out an instant camera I have and taking photos. But I dunno...if I were to include one picture in with each letter, would it make the trip to the recipient? I've never sent pictures through the mail, so I don't know how a single picture along with a letter will fare in the mail.

Thanks

I tuck in some blotter sample sheets.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw52 View Post
    I could've used some blotter sample sheets just yesterday...I was a bit messy with refilling John Smith (my TARDIS blue TWSBI Vac 700) and got a couple splotches of ink on my paper. Luckily for me, it was a bit of scrap paper anyway, but yeah...

I have this feeling that no matter how experienced I get with fountain pens, I'm always gonna be a little messy with them. I don't mind that, though--this is how my fountain pen experience is working out for me so far, and I don't mind a bit of ink on my fingers. Or a splotch or two of ink on a page, every once in a while. :P

Thanks

Great list, BikerBabe!

It's also a good time to remind folks to fill out the "About Me" section of their profiles, so we know what you might enjoy.

A friend of mine sometimes includes flat sticks of gum (like Juicy Fruit) in letters. I was also thinking recipe cards might be fun.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chaimann View Post
    Ooh, look at the new stationery.
    Those are neat, thanks for sharing. I especially like the ones that it's a an envelope and what looks like writing paper all together, wonder how much extra postage would be needed.

I was thinking about maybe digging out an instant camera I have and taking photos. But I dunno...if I were to include one picture in with each letter, would it make the trip to the recipient? I've never sent pictures through the mail, so I don't know how a single picture along with a letter will fare in the mail.
    Photos make it thought fine. If you're concerned about bending, you can always write "DO NOT BEND, PHOTOS ENCLOSED" on the outside or just add some thin sheets of cardboard on either side of the photo to make it harder to bend. There is always the photo mailer envelopes which are made out of cardboard. I've mailed photos both ways and they've always reached their destination just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw52 View Post
    Neat idea, I keep wondering if I would find blotter paper useful but I haven't decided to purchase any yet.

I have this feeling that no matter how experienced I get with fountain pens, I'm always gonna be a little messy with them. I don't mind that, though--this is how my fountain pen experience is working out for me so far, and I don't mind a bit of ink on my fingers. Or a splotch or two of ink on a page, every once in a while. :P
    If you learn the trick to filling up your pens, no matter the filing system without getting messy please let me it on it. Somehow I always manage to get ink on my hands, ink just seems to like me.

Bikerbabe - that was some neat ideas. That could be cool for times like Valentines day and Christmas. One of the card groups I belong to they have monthly themes for sending ATC (artist trading cards) and if I had my card making supplies here I'd probably be doing things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by chaimann View Post
    I was also thinking recipe cards might be fun.
    Yeah, even cutouts from the local paper, especially if they do regional or local recipes as it's a good way to learn about someplace else and it gives you a new recipe to try out.

Thanks

I like the idea of sending something from a local paper or other publication if your recipient is in another country or even just a really different part of the same country! I am fascinated by any kind of modern artifacts from other people's home towns or countries. Small maps or public transport diagrams, small advertisements for local things, or flyers, or calendars - even souvenir type things that would fit flat in an envelope would be fun to me. I love to buy souvenirs even when I go to touristy places in my own town or state. Some of the postcards I have sent to folks so far have been from outings to local sights.
    Patrice

I take pictures

Thanks

Hi guys! This is my first post here! Just discovered this forum thanks to @gourmetpens!

I saw this post this afternoon and it motivated me to finish a post I've had in drafts about the enclosures that I actually use with my letter writing. They are all small, inexpensive and flat! Perfect for mailing.
    Here is the link to the post.

Also, another post about an enclosure I sent (a bracelet made with a special knot) and some words about actually including enclosures with your correspondence.

Humbly submitting those for your consideration. Hopefully you find something useful there!
    Simplicity Embellished | Pens, letter writing, type, crewel work, leatherworking and all sorts of traditional crafting.
    Hello Cole | About me, basically.
    @ColeImperi | Twitter
    @ColeImperi on Facebook | Facebook

* I'm currently in the market for flex nibbed anythings! Juicy writers preferred. Contact me if you are selling. *

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (August 17th, 2013), fncll (August 17th, 2013), imjustmea (September 13th, 2013)

Thanks

Thanks, Cole! This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. You have a lovely site and I have subscribed to the RSS feed as well.
    Patrice

I take pictures

Thanks

Hey Cole, welcome to FPN and thanks for sharing your website with us. I love the idea of sending something special each month, I'll have to think of something and your posts are very inspiring.