Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen Storage Case Trays

Thanks

Default Pen Storage Case Trays

Greetings,
    I construct fountain pen display and storage cases out of old wooden cigar boxes. I am looking for a source of corrugated plastic felted liners or inserts for the boxes. In the past I have purchased from Gary at www.gopens.com, however I have found that the tray liners sold by Pendora are a better size for my use. Unfortunately, it seems that Pendora in no longer in business. Does anyone out there know more about where I can buy Pendora liners or any other sources of felted tray inserts for fountain pens. Any information would be appreciated.

J.M. Casteline
    "castinwood"

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Pen Storage Case Trays

AFAIK, Michelle had those pen liners made for her, they were not an already manufactured item. I've used them too, and it is a shame they aren't available any more. At the moment, I only know of those from Gary, but will do some searching as I find them handy. I often make my own liners, as well, which is more time consuming, but sometimes it works out better.

If I find any other options I'll respond back to this thread.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

beta10 (June 15th, 2017), frmamede (December 12th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    AFAIK, Michelle had those pen liners made for her, they were not an already manufactured item. I've used them too, and it is a shame they aren't available any more. At the moment, I only know of those from Gary, but will do some searching as I find them handy. I often make my own liners, as well, which is more time consuming, but sometimes it works out better.

If I find any other options I'll respond back to this thread.
    DIY pen trays? I'm in! Do you have a thread on it? If not, could you elaborate on the process? Tks!
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I've made my own trays for a metal cabinet I was given by my wife. I used Ray Blakes YouTube video to make my trays.

Here's how mine came out:

Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

amk (April 1st, 2017), Chrissy (December 13th, 2016), frmamede (December 13th, 2016), kevmid (December 13th, 2016), shiftysquirrel (January 13th, 2017)

Thanks

The video KI just shared is essentially the same way I've started doing my own liners. At the moment, all of the drawers I've lined are from storage boxes, so I haven't had to create a "container" around them. Here is a fairly wide drawer:

I've previously made cigar box cases as well, and it was a bit before I did the 'accordion fold' manner. The following box uses a card stock form that I made, and then covered in felt. There is a separate upper tray that lifts out to access the lower pens:

I only have a few of the Pendora tray liners left, which I want to reserve for certain projects, as they certainly make things look neat and pro:

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

45ist (March 1st, 2017), amk (February 27th, 2017), Chrissy (December 13th, 2016), da vinci (December 13th, 2016), frmamede (December 13th, 2016), KKay (February 25th, 2017), shiftysquirrel (January 13th, 2017), WmEdwards (December 13th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Wow! Thanks guys, I'm really impressed.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Here's a link to a post in the Snail Mail Forum showing how we made trays for sets of Muji acrylic drawers. Easy to adapt to any size. Cheap & effective and the felt provides good protection for the pens.

http://s-mail.proboards.com/post/1588

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

frmamede (December 13th, 2016), shiftysquirrel (January 13th, 2017)

Thanks

YEAH BABY! My DIY mojo is up and running! Gonna start shopping for materials this week! Thanks for the great ideias!
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Thanks

Pen Trays at Gopens.com
    Not to deter any of you who are going to make your own trays...but, Gopens.com has cut-to-fit in several colors.

Not allegiance or relationship...just a satisfied customer!
    FPGeeks= Nomdeplume
    FPN= mbankirer
    PenTrace= mb

Happy Writing!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomdeplume For This Useful Post:

CaptainRon (December 13th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nomdeplume View Post
    Pen Trays at Gopens.com
    Not to deter any of you who are going to make your own trays...but, Gopens.com has cut-to-fit in several colors.

But very expensive for shipping, if you're outside the US.

Thanks

To avoid shipping, maybe you can find these trays at a hobby shop locally? You'll support a local business and get what you want!
    FPGeeks= Nomdeplume
    FPN= mbankirer
    PenTrace= mb

Happy Writing!

Thanks

Pen Trays at Gopens.com

Yes, as noted in the OP. Gary's trays are - at the moment - seeming to be the only item available. And spendy when sent overseas (we have a global community here).

To avoid shipping, maybe you can find these trays at a hobby shop locally? You'll support a local business and get what you want!
    I've never seen anything like pen tray liners in any stores. I keep checking the usual places (crafts stores, interior/storage companies), but nothing so far.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I also have not found any pen trays or similar in craft shops or online and I am in the U.S, so this is a useful option.
    Maybe other cigar box pen tray makers use a similar technique?

So far have used Gary's trays cut to fit the 8" square clear Ferrero Rocher boxes. (I force myself to eat the choccies first). Turned upside down they make a good clear display box although I know my pens deserve more.

Thanks

1" acoustic foam. Can be sourced on amazon for relatively cheap. Works great for pen drawers, just cut to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stonerman33 For This Useful Post:

45ist (March 1st, 2017), frmamede (December 13th, 2016), Jon Szanto (December 13th, 2016)

Thanks

I was looking for pen trays here in my city last week, and didn't find any. Not local stores, or the web. That's actually why I got so excited about the DIY...
    But I still want professional trays for nicer looking presentation. Next year I'll probably buy something from the US (I really want a TWISBI and a Nock Co pouch), and include some trays.
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stonerman33 View Post
    1" acoustic foam. Can be sourced on amazon for relatively cheap. Works great for pen drawers, just cut to fit.
    I have no idea how these panels react over time, but one of the biggest hassles in 40 years of playing percussion is the breakdown of foam components in packing and instrument cases. Everything seems fine, and then one day you open it up, take out a prized snare drum, and the foam has become a sticky residue. A real mess, and this is with quality cases. The nature of the acoustic panels may be different, though, and this foam won't become a gunky holder for nice pens. At least that is what I'd hope.

~ Benjamin Franklin

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

amk (February 27th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stonerman33 View Post
    I have no idea how these panels react over time, but one of the biggest hassles in 40 years of playing percussion is the breakdown of foam components in packing and instrument cases. Everything seems fine, and then one day you open it up, take out a prized snare drum, and the foam has become a sticky residue. A real mess, and this is with quality cases. The nature of the acoustic panels may be different, though, and this foam won't become a gunky holder for nice pens. At least that is what I'd hope.
    In talking with the guys from KarasKustoms, this is what they use in their parts drawers and to hold assembled pens. I would think if anyone would turn it into a sticky mess, it would be the machine shop. That said, I may take a scrap piece of it and split it up into sample vials with assorted inks added to it to see if they have any adverse reactions over a period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Here is my display box.

Bought the case (about £11.00 GB). Glass top faux leather type lining material. Constructed the interior myself. This was the Mk. 3, interior and best so far.
    As some of you will be aware I have only been involved in collecting fountain pens since January this year. I may be better known for not being very technology minded and unable to handle the intricacies of this forum and upload photos. Am getting there with the help of several members on this forum to whom I am very grateful.
    Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jarc; February 25th, 2017 at 12:17 PM.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jarc For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 4th, 2017), da vinci (February 27th, 2017), KKay (February 25th, 2017), KrazyIvan (February 25th, 2017), Sheptonian (July 12th, 2021)

Thanks

Looks good - may I ask what you used for the interior?

Thanks

It's not just percussionists. I found a lovely blackwood treble recorder with half a foam box melted on to it - took a fair bit of scraping and rubbing to get the muck off without scratching the wood. A friend had the same experience with a clarinet.

I use little wooden rests for my pen boxes, or cardboard covered with cloth or paper. Two wooden bars with the pen hollows taken out with a rasp, and the edges rounded over with a file, leave no hard edges to damage the pens. Cardboard 'accordions' hold the pens rather more positively which is better if you're going to be moving the box around.