Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pen Storage Case Trays

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Storage Case Trays

Quote Originally Posted by 45ist View Post
    Looks good - may I ask what you used for the interior?
    Interior is constructed with cardboard (thin corrugated I find best) and Then covered with felt, which is adhered with Pritt Stick glue (pinched my for year old grand daughters craft bits and pieces). Laugh as you wish but having tried several glues I find this is the most successful for this job.
    Top and bottom sections are made up into an oblong section (in this case 2.5 cms square) and then covered with grey felt.
    Pen sections are made with cardboard (usually use thin breakfast cereal boxes which can be folded to whatever width you so wish. The side sections on the pen slots are usually scored in 2 x 1 cms and then glued together. The actual pen section width needs to vary depending on what pens you are storing. E.G. A Parker Frontier is a lot bigger in circumference than a Parker 45. However the Frontier is shorter in length than the 45. I am just making a separate tray for a collection of Frontiers and am making the bottom section 2 cms in width, by the time the felt is adhered in place this will house the Frontier quite nicely.

I did, by the way, replace my g/daughters glue and bought some extra.

Patent applied for. ??????????

Regards.
    Last edited by jarc; February 28th, 2017 at 04:00 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jarc For This Useful Post:

45ist (March 1st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

I have made a few pen storage trays for a variety of boxes I have made and also boxes I have converted to pen storage I thought I would share my method for those who would like to have a go themselves.
    I start with the largest pen size and work out the dimensions from there. I often mark out the sizes with masking tape.

IMG_9797 by my0771, on Flickr

The first step is to cut the four sides with mitres the sizes of the wood are dependant on the size and numbers of pens if you are repurposing a box then this will limit the size of the tray.

The mitred pieces are all laid out end to end long side up. Then I use masking tape over each joint before the final end is brought together I applied glue to the joints and taped up the last end.

IMG_3582 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_9902 by my0771, on Flickr

If you have the equipment you can cut a rebate in the bottom to allow the base to fit inside the edge I prefer plywood for the base but mdf would also work.

This principle can also be used for larger boxes. I made this box and its three trays some time ago.

IMG_9968 by my0771, on Flickr.

Now that you have trays there are a number of ways to make them pen friendly. The first method was shared with me by Henry Simpole the Penman it is quite difficult to show the profile of the wood but I will try the outside angle is 90 degrees the inside is rounded

IMG_0267 by my0771, on Flickr

Two pieces are glued together to create a channel, As the edges are equal sizes I often sanded down the bottom edge so they would take up less space. They were then glued to a piece of card.

IMG_0289 by my0771, on Flickr

Here is the covered tray

IMG_0307 by my0771, on Flickr

Here is the finished box with these trays fitted

IMG_0495 by my0771, on Flickr

I will add the second method in another post.
    Last edited by MY63; February 28th, 2017 at 01:17 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

45ist (March 1st, 2017), Chrissy (March 4th, 2017), farmdogfan (March 13th, 2017), KKay (February 28th, 2017), Makas (August 18th, 2017)

Thanks

My second and preferred method has been developed over time and many trays.

I use wooden dowels in different sizes depending on the size of the pens to be stored in the tray.

IMG_4792 by my0771, on Flickr

Here you can see my layout board if I am making more than one tray that need to be the same this is how I do it

IMG_4792 by my0771, on Flickr

They fit in the tray like this.

IMG_4797_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I then take a second piece of card and dampen it slightly and using a larger dowel I press it into the gaps.

IMG_4799_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I prefer to use suede for my trays it is more expensive than felt or baize but I think it is better.

IMG_4794_1 by my0771, on Flickr

After trimming it is glued in place here are the completed trays fitted into a repurposed cutlery box.

IMG_4805_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I hope someone may find this useful.

Michael

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

45ist (March 1st, 2017), amk (March 1st, 2017), Chrissy (March 4th, 2017), da vinci (March 4th, 2017), KKay (February 28th, 2017), Lunaelsol (June 15th, 2017), Makas (August 18th, 2017)

Thanks

Very impressive box. Well done.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jarc For This Useful Post:

MY63 (February 28th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jarc View Post
    Would it be possible to ask you the size`s of the dowel that you used to produce these trays.
    Many thanks.
    Regards.

Thanks

the Dowels are a great idea! will try it with chopsticks.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

I'm also thinking that plastic drinking straws would work as well and be more cost-effective, too. I might try that for grins.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Would it be possible to ask you the size`s of the dowel that you used to produce these trays.
    Many thanks.
    Regards.
    Sorry I missed this question about the size of dowels, I usually use 5 mm dowels for my trays although I would consider using larger dowels for larger pens.
    I am in the process of making a new box for large pens. this is the outside

20170614_142256[1] by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks

Michael