Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to know for sure the next vintage Sheaffer you buy is not a FrankenSheaffer ?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Default Re: How to know for sure the next vintage Sheaffer you buy is not a FrankenSheaffer ?

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I would submit that there are some collectors who will pay more for Pen #1 and equally possible to have another group of collectors who would pay more for Pen #2. Given the above situation, I would probably be in the second group because I value more the hours that Mr. Torellli put into the cap to make it a unique piece of art.
    You may submit that if you wish, but I think it indicates a degree of unfamiliarity with the world of (pen) collectors. This all revolves around the concept of what is a 'collectible'. To say that an item interests you and that you would like it in your collection does not define it as being collectible; I would suggest that it is more important that the item would be considered, by other collectors, for inclusion in a collection. Of course there is always a market for the unique and unusual, but I think any reasonable look at auctions, shows, and online sales of collections would clearly indicate a heavy leaning towards those items still intact, original or as close to original as possible, and this goes for collectibles of all types, not just fountain pens.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Hawk (December 21st, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: How to know for sure the next vintage Sheaffer you buy is not a FrankenSheaffer ?

Almost like Daniel Boone's original axe: on its fifth head and eight handle.
    Fortibus es in ero