Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about your most exciting pen in 2016

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Tell us about your most exciting pen in 2016

Maybe the Kikyo Portable Nakaya. I am always amazed by the depth of color in Nakaya's Kikyo Blue pens.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

amk (December 24th, 2016), rpsyed (January 12th, 2017)

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

As soon as I saw the title to this thread, I knew the answer. It's my Centropen 100820. It's a vintage fountain pen from early 1960s Czechoslovakia. It's a gorgeous celluloid material, a unique case very evocative of the time and place, and even has a companion pencil. It is also by far the most flexible nib I've ever handled.

This isn't my best writing sample. But, I wrote it on a receipt to show the outstanding flexibility of the nib. It is supposed to vary between "fine" and "triple broad". As far as I can tell, it does. The pen flexes and writes a good line with very little railroading or trouble of any kind. In truth, writing with this pen feels like I'm using a brush. It's that flexible. It's stunning. I thought I had a light touch with fountain pens, but I really had to relearn that with this pen.

And here is the nib in question.

The pen is remarkable. I knew very little about Centropen before I purchased this one. And now, I'll be on the lookout for more. It truly is a special pen.

Check out the video at 3:20 for a closeup, in slow motion, of the nib in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgycZr6r7cY

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

amk (December 24th, 2016), CaptainRon (December 24th, 2016), farmdogfan (December 25th, 2016), rpsyed (January 12th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (December 24th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    My favorite pen of 2016 has to be my Nakaya Neo Standard. It was a custom order, so it's personalized and meaningful. It was also a long wait, so I was excessively excited when it arrived. It's been inked up and in my pen case every day since I received it.
    That is gorgeous! My sincere compliments!

Can you tell us where you acquired it from?
    Thank you! I ordered it through Classic Fountain Pens (nibs.com). I gave them the specs of what I wanted. They handled placing the order directly with Nakaya. I could have ordered directly through Nakaya's website, but I was a little more comfortable having a middle-man as CFP is a Nakaya vendor and is certainly familiar with processes and definitely names and phone numbers at Nakaya to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Waski_the_Squirrel View Post
    As soon as I saw the title to this thread, I knew the answer. It's my Centropen 100820. It's a vintage fountain pen from early 1960s Czechoslovakia. It's a gorgeous celluloid material, a unique case very evocative of the time and place, and even has a companion pencil. It is also by far the most flexible nib I've ever handled.

This isn't my best writing sample. But, I wrote it on a receipt to show the outstanding flexibility of the nib. It is supposed to vary between "fine" and "triple broad". As far as I can tell, it does. The pen flexes and writes a good line with very little railroading or trouble of any kind. In truth, writing with this pen feels like I'm using a brush. It's that flexible. It's stunning. I thought I had a light touch with fountain pens, but I really had to relearn that with this pen.

And here is the nib in question.

The pen is remarkable. I knew very little about Centropen before I purchased this one. And now, I'll be on the lookout for more. It truly is a special pen.
    That's pretty cool! I like the generous ink view window. I've seen too many where it's just a tiny band. It's nice being able to see the ink clearly, and also to know when you're running low.

Thanks

Bisquitlips wrote:

"A friend of mine at work just acquired a Bulkfiller. The titanium furniture and nib is lovely and it is as smooth a nib as I have written with. They really are a custom pen in every regard and the filling mechanism is radically cool."

And I should have mentioned the excellent service after sale: I had a couple of questions, which were answered promptly and in detail - - along with the offer to set up a Skype conference if I needed further help. Superb!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

I was allowed to choose a gift so this is the only pen for 2016: Sheaffer Balance in the most incredible green acrylic (celluloid?) from member blopplop's collection. The picture below barely comes close to exhibiting the beauty of this pen. Excited about its good looks, and the fact someone would grant me such a fine gift; it is not something I could have bought for myself this year.

Last edited by VertOlive; December 24th, 2016 at 06:27 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

amk (December 25th, 2016), farmdogfan (December 25th, 2016), FredRydr (January 14th, 2017), Hawk (December 24th, 2016), Jon Szanto (December 24th, 2016), penwash (December 25th, 2016), rpsyed (January 12th, 2017), stub (December 24th, 2016), VegHead (December 26th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VegHead View Post
    Attachment 28826

Sailor King of Pen Green Mozaique, Broad nib.

This is special for me for 2016 as I had no intention of purchasing any Sailor pen . . . until this came up for sale and I was smitten. The nib is incredibly smooth and writes like the perfect (for me) medium.

Close second was another impulse buy, an LE Conway Stewart Wellington White Swirl in medium.

But then again, I only started on this collection journey this year so I guess all my pens are special in one way or another

Well.... I would have impulsed on both of those also and it is always good that an unplanned purchase works out so well. Congratulations!

Thanks

Nothing amazing in pens but my special pen this year is my 1977 Pilot murex stainless steel pen with integrated nib. Only recently having come across vintage pilots I am blown away by the simplicity and elegance of the designs. It writes like a dream and is so strong and light. For me it is the "Great White" of my pens as the ribbed section, streamlined body and curve of the nib remind me of the body, gills and jaw line of the shark!

[IMG][/IMG]

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevmid For This Useful Post:

amk (December 27th, 2016), Kaputnik (December 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

VertOlive, you are the fortunate benefactor of an unexpected roofing repair on my house. That pen would have been coming to me but for that. Enjoy!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (December 25th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Let's keep the ball rolling. There's one full week until the end of 2016.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

I would have to say my MontBlanc 147! Since I just started the hobby, I only have low-end pens, except for that MB, wich belonged to my father and was gifted to me as soon as he found out my interest for FP's. I actually don't care much for the "cartridge-only" filling mechanism, and cleaning it sucks, but it has one of the most gorgeous nibs I've seen and it writes like butter, no to say the sentimental value!

IMG_20161226_154726377_HDR.jpg
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frmamede For This Useful Post:

farmdogfan (December 26th, 2016), rpsyed (January 12th, 2017), VegHead (December 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,435 Times in 2,522 Posts

My most exciting pen for 2016 remains a pen that still has my best nib, an early Sheaffer Balance long oversize with an EF flex nib. But the most interesting pen that came into my collection during 2016 is a vintage Osmia in silver-ray celluloid with a 14k Supra F nib. I was dubious about the different pattern of the cap and barrel, but Osman tells me it's correct. I have yet to write with it, so that'll wait until 2017. :-)

IMG_6338 2.JPG

Fred

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

amk (December 27th, 2016), farmdogfan (December 27th, 2016), fountainpenkid (December 27th, 2016), frmamede (December 26th, 2016), Jon Szanto (December 26th, 2016), rpsyed (January 12th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Let's keep the ball rolling. There's one full week until the end of 2016.
    I'm thinking...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 7,908 Times in 1,438 Posts

I can't decide if it's this:

a mint Duofold Senior in Jade.... or this:

a very scarce Swiss made ASKA from the 1930's.

C.

PS: and there is also this:

a Swiss made Dimmler Monte Rosa set in blue ray celluloid.

can't decide....
    Last edited by christof; December 27th, 2016 at 01:15 AM.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

amk (December 27th, 2016), farmdogfan (February 27th, 2017), fountainpenkid (December 27th, 2016), kevmid (December 28th, 2016), rpsyed (January 12th, 2017), TropicalPenGal (December 28th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

I don't know if "exciting" is quite the right word. But then, I'm not very excitable.

But this Mabie Todd Swan 3150 is winning me over. I've had it for a couple of years, and didn't care for the way the nib was worn. So this year I decided to splurge and send it out to John Mottishaw to see what he could do with it. Got it back a bit earlier than expected. I have a note on my calendar that he had promised it in February of next year, but I actually received it in early November.

It's now something I want to write with all the time. The best indication of that is that it hasn't been empty a full day since I got it, either four or five fills. I did rinse it out once, to change the Akkerman's ink referenced in the picture to Pilot Blue-Black. And I just filled it again about an hour ago. The nib is not some special grind, either, just a normal symmetrical medium nib. But the way it feels when I write is special.

"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

farmdogfan (February 27th, 2017), rpsyed (January 12th, 2017), VegHead (December 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post

a very scarce Swiss made ASKA from the 1930's.
    I'm pretty certain that is your most exciting pen this year. To be sure, I'll have to examine it at length to have a better idea. Please package securely and send it to ...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Default Tell us about your most exciting pen in 2016

PS: and there is also this:

a Swiss made Dimmler Monte Rosa set in blue ray celluloid.
    Christof,

Now that's cruel! ;-) But exciting.

Fred

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    I don't know if "exciting" is quite the right word. But then, I'm not very excitable.

But this Mabie Todd Swan 3150 is winning me over....
    It's now something I want to write with all the time....
    The best indication of that is that it hasn't been empty a full day since I got it....
    And I just filled it again about an hour ago....
    The nib is not some special grind, either, just a normal symmetrical medium nib.
    But the way it feels when I write is special....
    Yep, I'd say you're pretty excited about this pen
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

[QUOTE=FredRydr;193121]

Now that's cruel! ;-)
    I know Fred.
    ...and the bad news is that the Museum of Desing of Zurich is interested in.
    But negotiations have not finished yet...so lets think about.
    C.

Thanks

...the Museum of Desing of Zurich is interested....
    Wow! That is good news! Congratulations!

Is that a two-piece set with two photos of the pen?

Fred

Thanks

Yes.