Thread: Envelope Punch Board

Thanks

Default Envelope Punch Board

I m not overly craft oriented, I did by a punch board to make envelopes. The first attempts were a disaster. Until I realized I was using the wrong paper size. Where do you find the square sized paper to make your envelopes? Or is there another way?

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Default Re: Envelope Punch Board

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw52 View Post
    I m not overly craft oriented, I did by a punch board to make envelopes. The first attempts were a disaster. Until I realized I was using the wrong paper size. Where do you find the square sized paper to make your envelopes? Or is there another way?
    I use all kinds of papers. Recycled calendars & other large printed matter are good sources. For new papers, try scrapbooking paper sheets or pads (e.g. 8" x 8" or 12" x 12") from craft shops, ebay, etsy or other online sources. Best to get the lighter weight papers rather than thicker cardstock. Or try wrapping paper sheets or rolls & cut to size.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (December 25th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

My punch board lists varying sizes of paper and the resulting size envelope they yield.

I have an inexpensive Cricut paper cutter which I use to cut my paper to the exact dimensions I need.

When I don't feel like doing all that, I have a cardboard pattern made from a real envelope's dimensions which I simply trace onto my paper, cut out, and glue.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

distracted_mom (December 27th, 2016), earthdawn (December 25th, 2016), Morgaine (January 2nd, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (December 27th, 2016), southpaw52 (December 28th, 2016), VegHead (December 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I buy my square paper from Hobby Lobby. They have many different books of patterned paper that is suitable for making envelopes, and they aren't expensive. Especially when you search for a coupon, before you go, that will give you discount.

Otherwise I use paper from magazines or calendars.

I also have made cardboard templates from envelopes that I have received for when I don't want to make square envelopes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

southpaw52 (December 28th, 2016)

Thanks

Well dummy here had to Google what you lot are talking about . . . Liked what I saw and ordered one! And it was on special at half price with free postage.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VegHead For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (December 27th, 2016), VertOlive (December 26th, 2016)

Thanks

I bought one a while back, but only used it like 3 times or so. I found it easier to download an A4 envelope template and paste it to a sheet of paper. I'm not even sure I could find it if I tried. If I do find it, I'll probably sell or get rid of it.
    "Writing is its own reward" - Henry Miller

Get a letter from me

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pharmasweaves For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

I'm not entirely sure if it is the same thing ("punch board"), but last year I picked up an envelope template guide from somewhere - isellpens.com, I think. It has 4 sizes of envelopes that you trace on paper and then cut out and glue. There is also a small art supply store near us that has these cool packs of papers, big random assortments of stuff for about $10, very colorful and varied in materials and texture. The only thing is that sometimes I have to make an additional 'label' for the address, otherwise, it would be hard to see (I *do* want the letter to get there!). When I have the time (and hell, let's be honest, my correspondence track record is pretty bad already!), it really is fun to make an envelope.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The envelope punch board and its cousin the box punch board are fantastic but they must be used in conjunction with a paper trimmer. There are hundreds of youtube videos on how to get the paper trimmed to size to fit these punch boards. Serious crafters invest in 12x12 paper and cut it down to size. That's the standard size for scrapbooks. However, you can use whatever paper: grocery bags, computer paper, copy paper, notebook paper. You just have to use the paper trimmer to get the correct dimensions to fold envelopes or make boxes.

Martha Stewart brand makes a nice trimmer; Westcott makes a trimmer, Staples has its own brand of trimmer. Get one with a ruler that fans out.

If you buy a tape runner to seal them shut (Staples make the best tape runner, imho) you'll never have to buy another envelope in your life! LOL

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ambimom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ambimom View Post
    The envelope punch board and its cousin the box punch board are fantastic but they must be used in conjunction with a paper trimmer. There are hundreds of youtube videos on how to get the paper trimmed to size to fit these punch boards. Serious crafters invest in 12x12 paper and cut it down to size. That's the standard size for scrapbooks. However, you can use whatever paper: grocery bags, computer paper, copy paper, notebook paper. You just have to use the paper trimmer to get the correct dimensions to fold envelopes or make boxes.

Martha Stewart brand makes a nice trimmer; Westcott makes a trimmer, Staples has its own brand of trimmer. Get one with a ruler that fans out.

If you buy a tape runner to seal them shut (Staples make the best tape runner, imho) you'll never have to buy another envelope in your life! LOL
    Sounds complicated and a lot of work, just the thing to put obstacles in my path. I'll go take a look, though.

The thing I got (was from JetPens.com, sorry) is a Handmade Envelope Template. Looks like this:

Last edited by Jon Szanto; December 26th, 2016 at 01:16 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 27th, 2016), southpaw52 (December 28th, 2016), VertOlive (December 26th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ambimom View Post

+1 for tape runners. I wouldn't be without mine. The permanent tape ones are the best way of sticking envelopes together.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

distracted_mom (December 27th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I never heard of these devices until I read this thread. But what would I do with the thousands of plain envelopes I have in my office closet, not to mention my vintage airmail envelopes?

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; December 27th, 2016 at 06:46 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I never heard of these devices until I read this thread. But what would I do with the thousands of plain envelopes I have in my office closet, not to mention my vintage airmail envelopes?

Fred
    Use them. Add washi tape if needed.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Fred
    Vintage airmail envelopes? They sound interesting I bet there are people who would buy some from you.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

eBay and etsy have lots. And our own jbb will have them, too.

Fred

26. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I never heard of these devices until I read this thread. But what would I do with the thousands of plain envelopes I have in my office closet...?
    I draw on my plain envelopes. I tried to make all my envelopes for a while, but it started taking way too long, so I just gave up and started drawing. I predominantly use just a compass and straight-edge, and as many come out pretty good, as pretty bad.
    "Writing is its own reward" - Henry Miller

Get a letter from me

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Pharmasweaves For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I bought a pad of 8X8 paper from Hobby Lobby. I was successful in making my first envelope. After I figured it out, it is fun to make my own envelope(s). Adds a bit of class to my letters.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

30. The Following User Says Thank You to southpaw52 For This Useful Post:

VegHead (December 28th, 2016)

Thanks

I was introduced to the We R Memory Keepers envelope board by some InCoWriMo peeps.

I buy 12 x 12 (or sometimes 8 x 8) scrapbooking paper, but I cut it down to size using a stiff metal ruler and a craft knife. I also cut other sourced paper to square for making envelopes with.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

southpaw52 (October 10th, 2017)

Thanks

Came across a couple of useful calculators for envelope sizes not included on the punchboard:

http://www.thecraftyowl.co.uk/EnvelopeExpert/ and http://crafterskey.blogspot.co.uk/p/calculator.html

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

migo984 (October 8th, 2017), southpaw52 (October 10th, 2017)