Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Snail Mailers here?

Thanks

Default Any Snail Mailers here?

I am just interested in how many of you pick up your fountain pens to write to pen pals abroad. A hand written letter is something I really miss in the modern age. Therefore I have joined some snail mail penpal groups and have been lucky enough to make some nice new friends through them. What about you guys?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matteob For This Useful Post:

ChristyOTwisty (January 6th, 2017), mlp2147 (August 11th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Default Re: Any Snail Mailers here?

I do, but I am sporadic and try to not get into situations of "trading letters with pen pals". I say that somewhat sadly, as I've tried before, with the best of intentions, and simply fallen flat on my face on my end of the bargain. Too disorganized, too likely to have other life matters intrude (will retirement help me in that?).

Anyway, I still do try to write to my valued friends, and occasional notes on behalf of my mother (who can no longer see) to her friends. The one thing I do is have a little "Field Notes" size book (the much better Curnow versions) and when I send something, I note it in there. I have a little code that lets me know if I sent a letter, postcard, note, package, etc, and the name and date. I flip back and see if there are any friends I haven't written in awhile. If it is an important occasion or been a long time, and I have a few extra moments, I'll make a custom envelope.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 26th, 2016), KKay (December 27th, 2016)

Thanks

Abroad, not so much, but I do write letters fairly frequently (read: in spurts between hard study sessions).
    "Writing is its own reward" - Henry Miller

Get a letter from me

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by matteob View Post
    I am just interested in how many of you pick up your fountain pens to write to pen pals abroad. A hand written letter is something I really miss in the modern age. Therefore I have joined some snail mail penpal groups and have been lucky enough to make some nice new friends through them. What about you guys?
    I have many pen pals, from countries all round the world. It's one of my special pleasures, to spend time writing to them, using my pens, lots of different inks, my own decorated or illustrated notepaper and homemade envelopes. I'm really into Mail Art at the moment, and enjoy making and sending my own postcards. And, of course, it's extra special to receive letters from them in return.
    I try to write regularly, bearing in mind their preferences. With some it's a frequent and regular exchange; others are more casual and intermittent.

By the way, have you tried the Snail Mail Forum, set up by Mia, who is a member on here? http://s-mail.proboards.comIt's a very friendly place.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (January 5th, 2017), BrynRedbeard (December 31st, 2016), distracted_mom (December 27th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    I have many pen pals, from countries all round the world. It's one of my special pleasures, to spend time writing to them, using my pens, lots of different inks....
    Same here. My postcard:letter ratio is about 100:5, based on my friends from the pen show circuit, the FPN postcard forum and Postcrossing.org. PM me if interested in postcard swaps. I haven't tried Mia's forum; I'll have a look.

Writing to my pen friends is the most effective way for me to remain familiar with fountain pens in my collection. I tend to cull out mediocre-writing pens that fail to inspire, even if they're more collectible than most. I'm always on the lookout for another. :-)

Fred

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 26th, 2016), Jon Szanto (December 26th, 2016)

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a few pen pals, and a small number of them are around the world. I try to write regularly. What I've found is that some countries have a more reliable and timely postal service than others.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

They always seem to get smashed when I mail them; maybe in the sorting machines. Anyway I got way to many complaints about the condition when received so I just don't mail snails anymore.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (January 5th, 2017), distracted_mom (December 27th, 2016), JFB (December 2nd, 2017), Jon Szanto (December 26th, 2016), matteob (December 28th, 2016)

Thanks

Ever since we bought our house, letter writing has become a fun hobby for me. I send letters out to pen pals all the time, including several members here. I find it relaxing, and it gives me more time to play with all my pens and inks.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

matteob (December 28th, 2016), mlp2147 (August 11th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Yes! Head on over to The Creative Side/InCoRiMo/ Did you correspond today/ thread here on this Forum and look around. Plenty of fountain pen pen pals. If you really want to dive in, InCoWriMo starts Feb. 1st
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (January 5th, 2017), BrynRedbeard (December 31st, 2016), distracted_mom (December 27th, 2016), matteob (December 28th, 2016)

Thanks

That sounds good always happy to write to people. Will see if ai can make come friends here. A letter a month seems a bit daunting and expensive internationally though!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Letter writing has become the main element of my hobby. I love fountain pens, but they are of little interest to me if they are not being used and there is only so much one can say to oneself via journaling. I average about 10-12 letters written per week and so far consistently receive between 7-10 letters per week. Some of my non-FP friends reply via email, but I always write back via snail mail. Incowrimo is the largest generator of my pen pals.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

BrynRedbeard (December 31st, 2016), distracted_mom (December 27th, 2016), FredRydr (December 27th, 2016), matteob (December 28th, 2016), Morgaine (January 4th, 2017)

Thanks

Letters are a great way to enjoy fountain pens without buying a new fountain pen every week (though you can do both!).

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gbryal For This Useful Post:

distracted_mom (December 27th, 2016), matteob (December 28th, 2016)

Thanks

I love having pen pals because it gives me an excuse to use my pens...otherwise they might just languish away in a drawer. Plus, there's something so wonderful about curling up in s chair and reading a letter from a far-away friend.
    InCoWriMo sounds daunting, but they don't have to be long letters. And it's almost as much fun as Christmas Card season!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

23. The Following User Says Thank You to distracted_mom For This Useful Post:

matteob (December 28th, 2016)

Thanks

I'll probably give it a go but most of my correspondents are overseas and it could get pricey given the outrageous cost of mail here in the UK. I would gladly write every day. I am "only" 39 but I still remember as a kid in the early 90s, just before the net took off, my best friend moved to Australia and we wrote once a week. Now of course all long gone with fb and skype/whatsapp. It is good in some ways but sad in others.I still have all the letters though.

Thanks

I love writing to friends both here in the USA and aboard. Always great to add more. I have made several great friends from writing letters. Letter writing is a great hobby and it only enhanced using a fountain pen.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

26. The Following User Says Thank You to southpaw52 For This Useful Post:

matteob (December 28th, 2016)

Thanks

I started pen paling a bit over a year ago, and it's improved my handwriting quite a bit, I'd say! Currently I have about 8-10, some in the US, some overseas, and it's great fun. Highly recommend it, though I suggest you make sure your intended pal has some similar interests, otherwise it is a bit of a drudgery....

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TropicalPenGal For This Useful Post:

matteob (December 30th, 2016)

Thanks

Where is the best place to find a pen pal? I am looking to improve my handwriting and share stories also. And it would give me something to do with the wax seal I want to get lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in search of pens and ink, especially pinks and purples lol

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SquishyInk For This Useful Post:

BrynRedbeard (December 31st, 2016), matteob (December 30th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyInk View Post
    Where is the best place to find a pen pal? I am looking to improve my handwriting and share stories also. And it would give me something to do with the wax seal I want to get lol

See VertOlive's suggestion regarding InCoWriMo and Migo's suggestion about the snail mail forum. Some people also belong to the Letter Writers Alliance (http://letterwriters.org/).
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

distracted_mom (December 29th, 2016), SquishyInk (December 28th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishyInk View Post

See VertOlive's suggestion regarding InCoWriMo and Migo's suggestion about the snail mail forum. Some people also belong to the Letter Writers Alliance (http://letterwriters.org/).
    Thank you! I will definitely check this out

Always in search of pens and ink, especially pinks and purples lol

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SquishyInk For This Useful Post:

distracted_mom (December 29th, 2016), matteob (December 30th, 2016)

Thanks

Snail Mail forum seems to be dead