Thread: J. Herbin Orange Indien

Thanks

Default J. Herbin Orange Indien

J. Herbin Orange Indien reminds me of the wildflowers that grew in the front lawn of my childhood home and of the tiger lilies that lined the streets of my neighborhood. It is a sumptuous, moderately saturated ink that exhibits a high degree of shading in both fine and wide nibs.

Like other J. Herbin inks, Orange Indien flows well. It is not as wet as Vert Empire or Blue Myostosis – behaving more like Café des Isles or Poussiere de Lune. On each of the papers I tested it on, Orange Indien exhibited a low amount of feathering. It was slightly noticeable in my Ecosystem journal, which is a very absorbent paper, but was not noticeable at all on Rhodia paper. Show-through was minimal, even on the thin paper of a Moleskine cahier, and I did not notice any bleed-through on any of the papers that I tested.

Dry time on a Rhodia pad and Moleskine cahier was within the range of other J. Herbin inks: about 12 seconds. On the absorbent Ecosystem paper, which normally sucks up ink like it’s going out of style, it took a surprising 8 seconds to dry completely; though this is fully in the range of acceptable dry time for me. Writing on an incline seemed to produce no noticeable increase in drying time compared to writing flat for this ink, at least in the pen I was using to test with.

Orange isn’t a color that normally factors into business use, and this ink is no exception. For journaling or other personal use, though, it is great. On white paper, it provides great contrast, and while it blends into off-white paper slightly, it is still eminently readable. Dry writing pens work perfectly fine with this ink, but it is in a wet writing pen the character of this ink truly shines – the shading is gorgeous.

J. Herbin fountain pen inks come in a 30ml bottle with an integrated pen rest that is suitable for displaying on top of one’s desk. This one has a picture of a tiny orange elephant on the front label.

Orange Indien is one of my new favorite inks. I plan on using it extensively for calligraphy, as the shading is impossible to resist.

Review Materials: for this review, I used a Lamy 1.9mm steel calligraphy nib on a Lamy Joy pen for the wide strokes. The fine strokes were made using a Lamy 2000 with an EF nib. The paper is Rhodia 80gsm. I also tested using a Moleskine cahier and an Ecosystem notebook.

You can read all of my ink reviews at my blog: seize the dave.
    seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, origami, poetry, and more
    my ink reviews
    follow me on twitter @carpedavid

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carpedavid For This Useful Post:

DrChumley (January 11th, 2014), inlovewithjournals (January 11th, 2014), Marsilius (October 30th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (January 11th, 2014)

Bucolic Buffalo

That's an amazing color. Thanks!

Thanks

Nicely done!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

My main attraction to this ink was the shading. WOW!
    Great review, Dave!

Thanks

This ink is my main orange ink for use at Halloween.The first bottle I had was a great bright orange.The last bottle I purchased was not as bright and sort of had brown tones to it.I have heard that there are colour varations like this in different batches of this ink.For myself I perfer the brighter version better.

Senior Member inlovewithjournals's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: J. Herbin Orange Indien

Just bought this but haven't used it yet. Such a beautiful review carpedavid, thank you!
    Check out my blog: http://inlovewithjournals.wordpress.com/

The perfect place for a writer is in the hideous roar of a city, with men making a new road under his window in competition with a barrel organ, and on the mat a man waiting for the rent. - Henry Vollam Morton

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

Ditto! Your review format is wonderful.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Another nice one. Probably my favorite of all you've posted to date. I am seeing what some others have mentioned though that J. Herbin may be a bit undersaturated compared to most of my favorites. This one doesn't look that way as much though.

Thanks

Been on my list to get for a decade...looks much better than MB Orange.

Thanks

I love this Orange! ink!!! I am an orange ink freak if have five bottles of different Orange colours and hope to get a bottle of noodles south west sunset as soon as I find a dealer with a bottle in Canada. My main pen store stopped carrying noodles as a Cancel culture issue with Nathan and I have yet to get them turned around LOL

IMG_3310.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmccullo View Post
    I love this Orange! ink!!! I am an orange ink freak if have five bottles of different Orange colours and hope to get a bottle of noodles south west sunset as soon as I find a dealer with a bottle in Canada. My main pen store stopped carrying noodles as a Cancel culture issue with Nathan and I have yet to get them turned around LOL
    You can get Noodler's @ www.stylo.ca