Thread: Speed Writing/Shorthand Resources?

Thanks

Default Speed Writing/Shorthand Resources?

Does anyone have a positive experience with a shorthand or speed writing resource (book, online course, etc) that is suitable for general note taking in an academic setting? I regularly produce 3+ 8x11 pages front and back in a class and I am interested in options to lighten the load on my hand and improve my ability to capture all of the relevant info I need.

Thanks

Default Re: Speed Writing/Shorthand Resources?

I haven't been able to figure out how to write quickly, but I did have some better luck with learning the Cornell method of note taking. It does take a while to get used to, but when you use it well, it works a lot better to help retain and pull up information than trying to read full notes over and over.
    "Writing is its own reward" - Henry Miller

Get a letter from me

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pharmasweaves For This Useful Post:

DavidtheGnome (December 29th, 2016), Silverbreeze (December 30th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Speed Writing/Shorthand Resources?

I used to produce the same amount of notes per class per day starting in primary school, so I can't help with that.
    But I don't remember ever getting hand fatigue from taking notes for my STEM classes (I basically BSed my way through the non-STEM classes, so no notes where taken there), nor did I ever feel like I missed anything.
    However, the system that worked for me was started when I was 9, and was second nature to me by 16, so I didn't have to worry about the "rules" for note taking by the time I got to Uni, so I'm not sure how well this would work for you... but I will try to describe it anyway in case something I did could help you out.

My notes were pretty spaced out and single-sided, so I probably destroyed more trees than necessary.

The notes I took were vertical (as in I always had space on either side) and color separated by content (color coding didn't happen until the notes got rewritten, if they got rewritten), which meant I daily carried 3-12 pens.

I also did not write everything down. I only noted the information that was either hard to remember, exceptions, or otherwise not explained anywhere else (we had educators who were pretty good at indicating those).

If a book was referenced, I would note the chapter-section and/or page, then jot the reason why it was being written down.

Calculations were never completed in class, though most of the educators I had would stop short as well once they got the point of the exception or reason behind the in-class example.

If something was not clear, I would use the back to capture the clarification.

Important equations were boxed and flagged so I could transfer it to my running tally sheet of important equations, which was the template for the crib sheet produced (and turned in) for tests.

When I did write words, complete sentences were never used, and punctuation did not exist. I developed my own shorthand (which usually meant dropping "unimportant" vowels) because adopting someone else's was too confusing and too much work to memorize.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

DavidtheGnome (January 3rd, 2017)