Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why the level of animosity to Noodlers and Nathan Tardiff.

Thanks

Default Re: Why the level of animosity to Noodlers and Nathan Tardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking with dogs View Post
    I’m beginning to think that I am not smart enough to realize I have problems. I have used BSB in a Sheaffer Imperial touchdown filler for many years now. It is continuously filled with BSB and sometimes sits for weeks unused and filled. Beyond staining, I have had no problems. It starts right up whenever I use it, no leakage, etc. I must be missing something.

For the last couple of week, I have been using two Ahabs (one with Libertys Elysium and the other with Heart of Darkness) with no problems. Granted I lost most of my sense of smell thirty years ago when I crashed my road bike, so I can’t attest to smell issues, but my wife with her sensitive nose, has never complained. Both pens even went camping with me and experienced elevation changes of 5,000 feet with no problems. I must be missing something.

I have a dozen or so Noodlers inks, the majority of what I use. Can’t say I have any problems with any of them. For me, Noodlers gives good value for a reasonable product.
    Well...Noodlers was created and fits with SOMEONE out there.
    Apparently, you are one of the ones that their products work for and resonate with.

I'm, personally, not built that way and there are some things that I know just are NOT-FOR-ME.
    Noodlers products are one of those things...

However, I'm happy to hear that they work for you.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

mizgeorge (April 20th, 2021)

Thanks

A in total agreement.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to resipsa For This Useful Post:

NathanHale (February 20th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

I've never had a Noodler's ink permanently stain a pen.

<shrug>

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

I've never had a meal at Chipotle give me food poisoning.

<shrug>

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (April 21st, 2021), mizgeorge (April 21st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I've never had a meal at Chipotle give me food poisoning.

<shrug>

Thanks

I agree with you Matteob.

Thanks

I have half a dozen TWSBI Eco's I keep inked pretty much 24/7, year round. My use for fountain pens is a day to day thing - more work-a-day use than collecting. The great majority of the ink I use are Noodler's since I prefer saturated inks and inks that are not likely to run if the page were to get wet. For some uses tamper resistant properties are welcome. Noodler's inks are a bit harder to clean out between refills than lesser saturated inks. Other than that I cannot say I have had problems. And my pens are inked close to all the time and in the great majority of cases using Noodler's. My pens are not rusting, all of them are demonstrators and don't appear to stain. But, neither are my pens made of hard rubber or cellulose plastics except for maybe one or two.

It is a boutique ink and each of his inks might have different properties. Just pay attention to the properties of the ink you are buying and be aware of the needs of the pens for which it will be used. I see no reason ink technology should not advance with time as do most things. I am rather happy it has advances. If you collect vintage pens, then that is a category for which you might need less saturated inks, or what may be called "traditional" inks. In that case it is up to the collector to know what their instrument's needs and requirements are and buy supplies for those pens accordingly. From my experience over the past few years there is no reason to be down on Noodler's inks, at least, not in my book. Indeed, Nathan should be praised for his efforts. I for one applaud Noodler's - and their inks.

I am fairly certain if Noodler's Ink did not exist, my interest in fountain pens would suffer.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armstrong For This Useful Post:

dneal (February 23rd, 2022), Lloyd (February 23rd, 2022), Scrawler (February 23rd, 2022)

Thanks

Who is Noodlers? LOL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,301 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong View Post
    I have half a dozen TWSBI Eco's I keep inked pretty much 24/7, year round. My use for fountain pens is a day to day thing - more work-a-day use than collecting. The great majority of the ink I use are Noodler's since I prefer saturated inks and inks that are not likely to run if the page were to get wet. For some uses tamper resistant properties are welcome. Noodler's inks are a bit harder to clean out between refills than lesser saturated inks. Other than that I cannot say I have had problems. And my pens are inked close to all the time and in the great majority of cases using Noodler's. My pens are not rusting, all of them are demonstrators and don't appear to stain. But, neither are my pens made of hard rubber or cellulose plastics except for maybe one or two.

It is a boutique ink and each of his inks might have different properties. Just pay attention to the properties of the ink you are buying and be aware of the needs of the pens for which it will be used. I see no reason ink technology should not advance with time as do most things. I am rather happy it has advances. If you collect vintage pens, then that is a category for which you might need less saturated inks, or what may be called "traditional" inks. In that case it is up to the collector to know what their instrument's needs and requirements are and buy supplies for those pens accordingly. From my experience over the past few years there is no reason to be down on Noodler's inks, at least, not in my book. Indeed, Nathan should be praised for his efforts. I for one applaud Noodler's - and their inks.

I am fairly certain if Noodler's Ink did not exist, my interest in fountain pens would suffer.
    Good post.

I tried Noodler's years ago - and many different colors. Biggest issue I had was inexplicable nib creep, although certain formulas have their individual peculiarities. Iroshizuku can do this (creep) too, to be fair; but it never happens to me with "traditional" inks (Waterman, Diamine, Pelikan, etc...). Maybe I should say "European" inks. I'm content with those varieties of offerings.

The assortment of colors Noodler's has created is astonishing. Only Diamine comes close. The fact that it's essentially one enthusiast doing this is praiseworthy, indeed.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (February 23rd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 632 Posts

Diamine inks with strong orange component get crud. So, which is worse...creep or crud? Do any inks cause creeping crud (which is like long Covid but more colorful)?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

Terracotta is the only orange-ish Diamine ink I use, and that’s to save my last two bottles of Montblanc Leonardo Red Chalk. So I don’t have the Apache Sunset* et al crud problem.

Point taken though.

—edit—

*Meant to type Ancient Copper instead of Apache Sunset
    Last edited by dneal; February 24th, 2022 at 07:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I've got Apache Sunset in a custom pen fitted with an FPNibs medium CI Jowo steel nib. No creep or crud as yet! I wonder what specific factors cause this, or even if that is knowable.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 632 Posts

I believe Apache Sunset, Hanañero, Cayenne are all in the same family of Noodlers inks and are all extremely well behaved but not over-the-top secure....and very pretty.

M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

@EoC - I meant to type Ancient Copper (Diamine), not Apache Sunset (Noodler’s).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I believe Apache Sunset, Hanañero, Cayenne are all in the same family of Noodlers inks and are all extremely well behaved but not over-the-top secure....and very pretty.

I have used Apache Sunset to get children interested in the colours of ink you can get for fountain pens. There have been occasions where, in the event of audit, I would need to prove documents were written and signed by me, that I have chosen the more secure Noodlers inks. By use of a fountain pen and a relatively obscure "bulletproof" ink it makes forging my documents much more difficult.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

dneal (February 24th, 2022), Lloyd (February 24th, 2022)