Thread: Why the level of animosity to Noodlers and Nathan Tardiff.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Re: Why the level of animosity to Noodlers and Nathan Tardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    ... though to me it feels less like I'm moving on "for cause" than just moving on for lack of a reason not to.
    That's an interesting point. When I got into all this, about 6-7 years ago, Nathan already had the broadest range of interestingly-hued inks. Imports of Diamine and Private Reserve were coming on, and few if any of the boutique inks existed, or had much market share. Noodler's represented a panorama of interesting choices, were at a good price point, and gave people who wanted to stray from the boring old Big Manufacturer inks a playground. I found inks I liked and inks I didn't (fortunately, almost always through samples - I'm glad the Goulet's started around when I did!).

Now, the terrain is vastly different. There as so many inks available today, many with superior behavior and remarkable colors and properties. Anyone who was as gifted a concoctionist as Mr. Tardiff will always make some unique inks, and I think he has some that will - or should be - around for quite a while. The bottom line, however, is that with the explosion of a rainbow of inks with stable properties and other innovations, his basic model may be coming close to running it's course. Most importantly, Mike's last comment rings loudest: there are now reasons to look elsewhere, and people are.
    Exactly, when I first got into fountain pens, my first two bottles were Noodler's inks, and I tried numerous samples of Noodler's inks. Now with brands like KWZ, and Robert Oster on the market, I tend to look to them first, and Sailor's specialty inks, although on the expensive side, are quite easy to get through Vanness Pens. I currently have 3 bottles of Noodler's (Black, Liberty's Elysium, & BSiAR), but I don't really see myself picking up more.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 27th, 2019)