Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning 2017 - What is your choice and why?

Thanks

Default Planning 2017 - What is your choice and why?

I've been seeing a lot of fuss about the Hobonichi Planner. Lots of FP people like them, for some reason. I found it strange, since it seems, from internet pics, that the paper is quite thin and looks like it would bleed-showthrough a lot.

So, is the Hobonichi a consensus among the community (if consensus is even possible in such cases). If not, what is your planning option for the year and why?
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Planning 2017 - What is your choice and why?

It is Tomoe River paper. It is the best paper for fountain pens IMO. No bleeding at all. My 2017 Hobonichi is my third from them. You need to check out Tomoe River paper for yourself. You can get other notebooks with it and loose sheets are sold also.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (January 3rd, 2017), frmamede (January 2nd, 2017), Iko (January 3rd, 2017), Lady Onogaro (January 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    It is Tomoe River paper. It is the best paper for fountain pens IMO. No bleeding at all. My 2017 Hobonichi is my third from them. You need to check out Tomoe River paper for yourself. You can get other notebooks with it and loose sheets are sold also.
    Where do you get yours from KrazyIvan? I've seen people on IG getting it straight from the manufacturer, but no links were posted!
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frmamede View Post
    Where do you get yours from KrazyIvan? I've seen people on IG getting it straight from the manufacturer, but no links were posted!
    I get mine through Nanami paper but I have also seen 100 loose sheets on Amazon.

Here's a link to Nanami Paper: http://www.nanamipaper.com/categorie...ver-paper.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

frmamede (January 2nd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Alas, I've abandoned years of DayTimers (from Allentown, Pennsylvania) for iCloud, except for a big cheap month-by-month desk pad in the kitchen: pencils & erasers only; fountain pens are verboten!

Fred

Thanks

I must clarify, my Hobonichi is four a daily journal. My planning is done in a Baron Fig planner. It has thicker, also fountain pen friendly paper.

Thanks

I chose a Hobonichi as well this year, but it is a tad small. I wanted to ease back into journaling, so I find it perfect since I'd don't have to worry about as many embellishments

I use tomoe paper 99% of the time so I'm used to the characteristics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in search of pens and ink, especially pinks and purples lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SquishyInk For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (January 3rd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

I get mine through Nanami paper but I have also seen 100 loose sheets on Amazon.

Here's a link to Nanami Paper: http://www.nanamipaper.com/categorie...ver-paper.html
    The source I've been using is Paper For Fountain Pens. They have a very nice selection of TR paper products, my favorite being 3 100-sheet pads for $19.50. They have some very nice journals as well, and the pricing and service have been pleasant.

In other news, 2016 showed me the utter folly of even remotely planning a year. I won't be wasting any precious moments in that activity again...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 2nd, 2017), Brilliant Bill (January 2nd, 2017), BrynRedbeard (January 3rd, 2017), Lady Onogaro (January 2nd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

You can get Tomoe River notebooks from Steve Curnow (he can be found on FB); Goulet and Anderson pens both have it, too. There are other sellers on Etsy (just search for Tomoe River or Tomoegawa paper).
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 2nd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I am using a Hobonichi Planner (mostly for a daily journal and reading log) and a Hobonichi Weeks planner. But I also carry a Traveler's Passport with a calendar (the boxes are tiny, though, so I usually only jot a couple of things in it). At school, for appointments with students and such, I use a Quo Vadis Trinote. So I'm silly with planners.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (January 3rd, 2017), Jon Szanto (January 2nd, 2017), Linkinyeah (January 3rd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    You can get Tomoe River notebooks from Steve Curnow (he can be found on FB)...
    Thanks for that, Lady. My original response was for sheets, but I've been using Steve's "Backpocket Journals" with TR paper for a couple years now, I'll probably never get any more Field Notes. He can be reached at https://www.facebook.com/CurnowBookNLeather/
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

I second the Paper for Fountain Pens. Best prices I've seen, good variety of bound and loose papers. He's a one-man band, very responsive and ships promptly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

The source I've been using is Paper For Fountain Pens. They have a very nice selection of TR paper products, my favorite being 3 100-sheet pads for $19.50. They have some very nice journals as well, and the pricing and service have been pleasant.

In other news, 2016 showed me the utter folly of even remotely planning a year. I won't be wasting any precious moments in that activity again...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

I also have a hand made leather bound notebook from Gatzbcn on instagram. https://www.instagram.com/gatzbcn/

22. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 3rd, 2017)

Thanks

I use Tomoe River notebooks from Goulet Pen Company. They have their own notebooks which are sold on their websites at very reasonable prices.

Thanks

Sorry...meant to clarify, I use paper for journaling only. I don't use the Goulet notebooks as planners. I use my iPhone as my planner and appointment keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by farmkiti View Post
    I use Tomoe River notebooks from Goulet Pen Company. They have their own notebooks which are sold on their websites at very reasonable prices.

Thanks

Honestly I have bad luck sticking to planners - it's Outlook for me for my day to day lawyer nonsense. Filofaxes are just too bulky, and I don't refer to them. I also don't refer to my "bullet journal" (a Leuchtturm A5) though others swear by it.

I end up using planners for other purposes though. If you want something like a Hobo though without all the extra fluff, try the Stalogy 365 series. You underline the date for each page, so it's not set up for a specific year. The text is also faint in those. Not sure of the paper, might be the slightly thicker Tomoe. I've had good luck with it the past year with minimal bleedthrough/showthrough. I use that as my daily diary.

I also have a red 2017 Standard Diary as that was a good price on Amazon - it's one of the books I'll be writing another novel in. I had some bleedthrough on a broad oblique with Noodler's Army Green, so I'll probably stick to either good old Diamine Registrar's on that or a fine/XF point. I figure if I can plug in a full page a day I'll have about 80k words by the end of the year just on that. This one is A5. It's far thicker than the Hobo or Stalogy, but has a hard red cover. The Standard Diary is more for keeping at someone's desk than shlepping it around, but having a hard cover is nice for writing.

I have a Apica planner (I got it from the NYC Kinokiyunya store... haven't seen it online) but I'll use that just for tracking daily word count and other writing stuff. Looks like it's A6. Haven't used that but Apica is fantastic paper. I think Kinokiyunya also stocks the Hobonichi.
    Inked: Lamy 2000 Macrolon EF (MB Toffee Brown); Platinum Balance F (Platinum Blue Black); Franklin Christoph 02 Smoke & Ice - M Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Pelikan Twist Bronze (Pelikan Royal Blue). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Ein Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister5 For This Useful Post:

datainadequate (January 13th, 2017)

Thanks

For the third year, my choice is the weekly + memo diary in a Traveler's Notebook - easily the record for sticking to one style of planner for me! A whole page a day is way more than I need to jot down appointments or a brief note on the day, so the weekly layout works well, while the memo page opposite gives me room to expand as required. Plus the paper seems to stand up to pretty much everything FP I've thrown at it. Only thing I don't like so much is the year being broken up into two separate volumes, but that's only a niggle.

Thanks

I'm on my third year of Hobonichi Techo, which I use for my own wierd modification of Bullet Journalling. It works well for me, but I have small handwriting and use fine nibs a lot. After trying a lot of different diary/planner options down the years, A6 size seems to be the optimal for me. I like the Tomoe River paper, and it allows me to carry round a whole year's worth of pages without it feeling bulky.

Thanks

Nothing has ever worked for me for long, but I am trying again - bullet journal in Piccadilly notebooks cahier size from B&N - the paper is adequate if not exciting, and given my track record, investing serious money into this is a questionable move.

I made Faux Dori's for these from several things so I just need to make another for this one...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scrivelry View Post
    Nothing has ever worked for me for long, but I am trying again - bullet journal in Piccadilly notebooks cahier size from B&N - the paper is adequate if not exciting, and given my track record, investing serious money into this is a questionable move.

I made Faux Dori's for these from several things so I just need to make another for this one...
    Yeah! The investment, added to the fact of not knowing if I'll like the Hobonichi Setup, is kind of turning me off.
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton