Thread: Do you allow your nibs to patina or polish them from time to time?

Thanks

Default Do you allow your nibs to patina or polish them from time to time?

A discussion from elsewhere on the internet regarding patina on nibs got me wondering: how many of you allow the gold on your nibs to patina? Is patina on the nib something that adds value to a pen in the vintage world? I've only ever seen vintage sellers offering pens with well polished nibs.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Default Re: Do you allow your nibs to patina or polish them from time to time?

I don't know if the group feels this is related. Why do people leave ink on top of the nib especially when the pen is photographed. My wife and I always wipe the ink off of the nib because it bugs us.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

I have never polished a nib.

I often leave signs of nib creep on when taking pictures since it is normal.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

On the rare occasions when I take a nib completely out of the pen, I clean it very thoroughly all over, but that's not exactly polishing it. And I never do more than wipe it off when it's in the pen.

Nib creep within reason doesn't bother me, and I even like the way a bit of ink on the nib looks.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I take care when the nib is plated, especially 2-tone Parker nibs of yore, but also, for example, many vintage 14K Sheaffer nibs. No polish, no rouge cloth, no Sunshine cloth. The plating will thin and eventually come off.

But I have no objection to using a Sunshine cloth or jeweler's rouge cloth on an unplated solid gold nib. I suspect that collectors are less concerned with whether such a nib has a patina than they are with what other things might have been done if they see that the nib has been shined up. They like as-found condition so that restoration, if it is to be done, can be restricted to competent hands. However, bear in mind that collectors are a tough market for individual pen sales, anyway. They are cheapskates unless the pen is hard for them to find, so if we're talking about an easy-to-find pen, I don't suspect that patina helps any.
    --
    Mike

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

amk (January 4th, 2017), Hawk (January 3rd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

If I buy the pen and it has the patina already, I'll leave it that way. If it's polished, I'll keep it polished. Ink on the nib used to bother me but not anymore. As long as it's not dripping, I just leave it and clean off the section only.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Ok, so it seems to be a relative non-issue. I was told that the patina is sought after and something that adds value to the pen. True for most older things like coins or guns and such, but seemed an odd notion to me with fountain pens.

Also, I don't wipe the nib creep. Never really bothered me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    A discussion from elsewhere on the internet regarding patina on nibs got me wondering: how many of you allow the gold on your nibs to patina? Is patina on the nib something that adds value to a pen in the vintage world? I've only ever seen vintage sellers offering pens with well polished nibs.

Thoughts?
    As mhosea said, I think it depends on the person and the nib. To me things should be shiny. If the manufacturer intended the nib to be dull and boring they wouldn't polish it or plate it in the first place. A nice clean, shiny nib is part of the visual appeal to writing with the pen. Patina has it's place on copper statues or a brass / bronze watch, but not on a gold nib. Care should be taken if choosing to clean up a plated nib vs. solid gold, but I still think a clean, shiny nib looks better. Perhaps a collector of vintage pens likes the pen to look as old as it is, but I think most would-be buyers want to see it clean and glimmering in the light. A clean pen appears to be a cared-for pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I don't know if the group feels this is related. Why do people leave ink on top of the nib especially when the pen is photographed. My wife and I always wipe the ink off of the nib because it bugs us.
    I had the same question for a while, and then owned a nib which was difficult to keep clean. Wet writers flow ink very easily. Some nibs have complex patterns stamped into them. What you get is a network of rivers with a source which is happy to supply. Try to soak up an ink spot and you only pull more out through the hole or slot in the nib. It becomes acceptance of a battle which can't be won and has no impact on how the pen writes.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 3rd, 2017), fountainpenkid (January 3rd, 2017), Hawk (January 3rd, 2017)

Thanks

About the patina, I would not be drawn, or pay extra, to have it on a nib. I have a rouge cloth and use it from time to time. Gold is meant to be shinny in my opinion!
    And the nib creep depends on the nib. Some nibs look great with it, some don't. If it looks cool, I leave it there.

Enviado de meu XT1580 usando Tapatalk
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

12. The Following User Says Thank You to frmamede For This Useful Post:

Hawk (January 3rd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,442 Times in 2,523 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Do you allow your nibs to patina or polish them from time to time?
    I polish only from time to time. I don't like having to remove Wenol from the slit and breather hole. If you opened the drawers of my pen cabinet you'd see tarnish, and it wouldn't bother me. On the other hand, I will polish a pen in use when a nib looks grotty.

Fred

Thanks

mhosea makes a good point about plating. I tend to leave nibs alone, though if I have to fix the nib in other ways I will generally give it a good clean and (if gold) polish before putting it back in.

Always grateful when I find a completely ink-covered and grotty nib in a pen at a flea market, as the pen will probably be going cheap instead of "that's a gold nib I want £50 for it" :-)

Thanks

Never polished a nib. Won't ever polish a nib. If it needs cleaned I will clean it and that's it.

David

Thanks
    Thanked 6,442 Times in 2,523 Posts

I see mention of a rouge "cloth." Is it something that leaves no particulate matter behind unlike Wenol or real rouge?

Fred

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I see mention of a rouge "cloth." Is it something that leaves no particulate matter behind unlike Wenol or real rouge?

Fred
    I don't know If it leaves anything behind. But I always wash the nib after using it, and never had any problems. It is that red jewelers cloth, that has a yellow cloth inside, for final polishing.
    I'm on tapatalk and can't (don't know how to) upload a pic...

Enviado de meu XT1580 usando Tapatalk
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

18. The Following User Says Thank You to frmamede For This Useful Post:

mhosea (January 4th, 2017)

Thanks

I'm not as allergic as some might be to polishing 14k nibs, even those on vintage pens when I've received these unrestored. I've found that sometimes it's the only way to remove unidentified funky objects from the surface that mock all solutions and ultrasonic efforts. As with all things in restoration, however, care must be taken and hamfists pocketed. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever re-polished a patinated nib, preferring a jeweler's cloth or simply letting it alone. Someone mentioned vintage Sheaffer nibs. The appearance of two-tone nibs on these in particular is much improved when they develop a patina IMO, as on this one from a Sheaffer I recently sold:

aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

Thanks

I like to keep my nibs, as i do my pens, nice & clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best Regards,
    Mike
    Mike
    Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.