Thread: Payment etiquette?

Thanks

Default Payment etiquette?

When sellers list the prices, do they assume that payment via Friends & Family option, or via the Goods & Services option?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Payment etiquette?

Quote Originally Posted by hungrynerd View Post
    When sellers list the prices, do they assume that payment via Friends & Family option, or via the Goods & Services option?
    Goods & Services. The Friends & Family option is not to be used for merchandise. So yes, I expect to have to pay fees to PayPal as well as absorb at least some of the shipping costs.

Thanks

Goods and services. And add whatever the shipping amount is posted.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Goods & Services....
    +1

If a buyer happens to be known to the seller, the choice is between them, but put it this way: if it's necessary to ask, don't.

Fred

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

gylyf (January 4th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Yup, goods and services. I'm always surprised when somebody occasionally sends it the other way, though it's OK. It's easier to click-n-ship with goods and services, and I find out they sent it the other way when I try to click through to print postage but can't find the button. Anyway, I may be out of date since I haven't read the PayPal ToS in recent months, but AFAIK the buyer can pay however they like, but the seller can not ask for Friends & Family payment on goods/services. That is forbidden. Consequently, any seller who expects it doesn't know what they're doing. I don't think sellers can technically ask the buyer to cover the fees on goods & services, either, but that is a common practice in some circles, and I have never heard of that rule being enforced.
    --
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Goods & Services. If you buy something from someone and choose to make payment via Friends and Family, and for whatever reason you receive nothing, then that's exactly what you will get if you've paid by Friends and Family.

If you're genuinely sending some money to a friend say for shipping something to you, and you want to give them a contribution, then Friends and Family is fine.

Sellers who sell goods or services generally build PayPal fees into their prices, or just accept that they will pay them.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 4th, 2017 at 04:01 AM.

Thanks

If it is just a trade between members of a forum and I know and trust the person after talking to them for a while then I will send friends and family. Not bought a pen from anyone here yet with faf but bought a vintage razor from a guy on a wet shaving forum and got it for a song as he was reducing his collection. He sent it first class registered included in price too.Enthusiasts on forums are normally cheaper than dealers and sending friends and family makes them more inclined to give a nice deal. If it is a dealer charging top whack then i will send goods and services.
    Last edited by matteob; January 4th, 2017 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Goods & Services. If you buy something from someone and choose to make payment via Friends and Family, and for whatever reason you receive nothing, then that's exactly what you will get if you've paid by Friends and Family.

If you're genuinely sending some money to a friend say for shipping something to you, and you want to give them a contribution, then Friends and Family is fine.

Sellers who sell goods or services generally build PayPal fees into their prices, or just accept that they will pay them.
    I was going to say the same thing. I think you MUST pay as Goods & Services to have any coverage by Paypal if the item you bought shows up broken or doesn't arrive at all. You can't open a Paypal dispute for a gift to a friend or family.

Thanks

Sellers typically don't assume any specific payment method when listing prices. It's best to clarify with the seller directly which option they prefer. Remember, using Friends & Family is meant for personal transactions and doesn't offer buyer protection, while Goods & Services has fees but includes purchase Payment gateway security. Choose the option that aligns with your situation and the seller's preference for a smooth transaction.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Gertyreds the spammer reported
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 4th, 2024)