Thread: Replacing Jinhao converters

Thanks

Default Replacing Jinhao converters

I have a Jinhao x750 and a Jinhao 159. I enjoy writing with them except for one problem that they both have – the converter does not seem to fill properly with ink but has a huge air bubble. I would like to replace their converters with a better-quality converter (maybe one with an agitator), to avoid this problem in future. Does anyone know of a better-quality converter that would fit in either of these pens? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Default Re: Replacing Jinhao converters

Any standard international sized converter should work just fine. When I'm filling my Jinhao converters I will fill once, hold nib up and give the converter a few flicks and a tiny twist of the knob and that usually gets the air bubble to rise to the top, then you can *carefully* twist the knob to release the air and fill a second time, usually gets me a pretty complete fill.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wade For This Useful Post:

Kathleen (January 6th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (January 5th, 2017), ravkesef (January 26th, 2017)

Thanks

The converter is a weak spot. You need to fill and refill a couple of times to get the air bubble out. However a good quality converter is not much outlay. I see you are in the UK. Beaufort Ink has a nicer German made (looks like a Schmidt) converter with their own branding which I have fitted to the Jinhao X750 I use as my carry about pen. It is only £2.97.

http://www.beaufortink.co.uk/penmech.html

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to matteob For This Useful Post:

datainadequate (January 9th, 2017), Kathleen (January 7th, 2017), Morgaine (January 7th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Just an FYI, any international converter will NOT always fit. I've tried replacing them and it was hit and miss.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 6th, 2017), Wade (January 6th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Ditto on the non-universality of converters for Chinese pens. And while it may seem overly complex or fussy, I often fill converters with a syringe - I get a complete fill, then attach converter and drop a few drops of ink on the underside of the nib/feed to "prime" the pen. No wiping of ink off the section and nib, and pretty much a 100% fill.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (January 6th, 2017), KKay (January 8th, 2017), ramblur (January 18th, 2017), ravkesef (January 26th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (January 11th, 2017), Sammyo (August 14th, 2017), Wade (January 6th, 2017)

Thanks

Good to know, I haven't experienced that yet.

Thanks

The Beaufort/ Schmidt converter above will fit though!
    Last edited by matteob; January 12th, 2017 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matteob View Post
    The converter is a weak spot. You need to fill and refill a couple of times to get the air bubble out. However a good quality converter is not much outlay. I see you are in the UK. Beaufort Ink has a nicer German made (looks like a Schmidt) converter with their own branding which I have fitted to the Jinhao X750 I use as my carry about pen. It is only £2.97.

Thank you very much for that information! I will give it a try.

(I had previously bought a standard international converter, but found that it didn’t fit either of the Jinhao pens.)

Thanks

You should be fine just screw in the converter rather than trying to push it in as per the Jinhao.

Thanks

Thank you - I ordered this and it fits both pens! The Jinhao x750 is my favourite pen (and also my cheapest!) so I am very glad to have that up and running again.

Thanks

Have you thought of removing the covnerter and then using a syringe to fill before reinserting?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by k3eax View Post
    Have you thought of removing the covnerter and then using a syringe to fill before reinserting?
    As in Post #5...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

sometimes you have to "muscle" it on there.....I did that with my 159. With my 750, it fit just fine.

Thanks

It's not the fitting that bothered me so much as the smaller size and difficulty getting a good fill. I heard the Jinhao converter is prone to leaks over time too so for the sake of a few quid decided to get a better quality one that i mentioned above

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post

Thank you very much for that information! I will give it a try.

(I had previously bought a standard international converter, but found that it didn’t fit either of the Jinhao pens.)
    Schmidt do both a standard (K1) and a premium converter, the K5 (I used to buy from them direct but they now sell through welovepens.co.uk ). I found the premium ones worked better in my Jinhao's for some reason. They are much cheaper from Schmidt than through 3rd parties in my experience as well! Delivery is only a few £ and now they are selling pens as well it's easier to put a decent order together.