Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who wants to make their own Montblanc Racing Green ink?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

Default Who wants to make their own Montblanc Racing Green ink?

I have some old MbRG cartridges, plus a part bottle of MbRG and I decided to have a look at them to see if they were the same. Not that I mistrust the half bottle that I bought on ebay, but I love playing around with ink and it was MbRG's turn.

I recently bought a mixed box of inks, and in there was an old plastic Mb bottle that originally contained black ink. It had dehydrated to powder, so I just put some distilled water in there to see what happened. A few days later, I had black ink and no sediment in the bottom. That was a good start! Then I did a chroma test on that ink.

I do chroma tests on almost every ink that I buy, so that I know what dyes made it. Just cut a piece of kitchen roll into strips of about 1" wide or slightly less, get a cotton bud. Very gently just dip the bottom part of the cotton bud into the ink (so as not to waste too much) and dab it onto the towel strip about an inch up from one end. Then put a piece of sticky tape on the other end and hang up the strip ideally on a shelf where you have another shelf below. Then on the lower shelf, stand a glass half full of tap water and let the bottom of the towel strip touch the water in the glass by not more than a few mm. The water will soak up the strip and take the original dyes up with it. Don't leave it too long though. Just until you can see the water level on the strip is clear of the last dye - a couple of minutes.

The chroma test on the black ink that I had rehydrated showed it contained blue and yellow/orange dyes, with a little black between them. An unusual result for black ink.

Then I did the same chroma tests on my MbRG cartridges, (one from each of two different packs) One chroma tested as the same blue dye that was in the black ink plus yellow dye. Slightly more yellow that that in the black ink, plus a little black in between them.

From that result, I now have a simple recipe to make MbRG. Using two plastic pipettes or syringes, add equal amounts of Montblanc Royal Blue and Montblanc Golden Yellow into a sample vial. Then get a wooden cocktail stick or kebab stick and carefully dip the end into Montblanc ordinary black ink. Stir the mixture in the sample vial with the end of the cocktail stick. That makes the dark green ink. Swab test that on a cotton bud to test how dark it is. Very carefully add tiny, tiny amounts of black on the end of the cocktail stick, and keep swab testing until it's a good dark green. If it's a little on the blue side, add another drop of Golden Yellow. Please don't add too much black or it will be too dark.

I compared it against my MbRG cartridge and they were exactly the same colour.

Happy Mixing.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 6th, 2017 at 02:56 AM.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BrynRedbeard (January 6th, 2017), CaptainRon (January 6th, 2017), Cob (January 8th, 2017), datainadequate (January 6th, 2017), ethernautrix (January 7th, 2017), FredRydr (January 6th, 2017), gylyf (May 2nd, 2021), junglejim (April 10th, 2018), KKay (January 8th, 2017), Marsilius (January 7th, 2017), naimitsu (January 6th, 2017), penwash (January 6th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (January 6th, 2017), Scooby921 (January 6th, 2017), SIR (January 7th, 2017), TSherbs (January 7th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: Who wants to make their own Montblanc Racing Green ink?

I probably don't want to make MbRG, but I was wondering just last night wondering how to do chroma tests. Thanks for the detailed instruction

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Chrissy,

Are these MB's new inks only, in particular, the black? (Guess who has too much unopened MB black in the old bottles?)

Fred

Thanks

Thanks for giving an official term to my kitchen chemistry. I thinks it's fascinating to see the different components of the inks! My family is not so impressed though. They don't know good fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Chrissy,

Are these MB's new inks only, in particular, the black? (Guess who has too much unopened MB black in the old bottles?)

Fred
    No definitely go with as old as possible. My Royal Blue is in the old type bottle, and my bit of black was the rehydrated stuff from the funny old plastic bottle. The older version is more likely to contain the blue and orange dyes
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 6th, 2017 at 08:18 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by datainadequate View Post
    I probably don't want to make MbRG, but I was wondering just last night wondering how to do chroma tests. Thanks for the detailed instruction
    My friend sent me a detailed link from somewhere, but I couldn't find it so I had to go through the instructions the way I saw in the link. I think it was from a children's TV show. :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distracted_mom View Post
    Thanks for giving an official term to my kitchen chemistry. I thinks it's fascinating to see the different components of the inks! My family is not so impressed though. They don't know good fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You're welcome. I love playing with inks and calling it chemistry.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

distracted_mom (January 6th, 2017), Jon Szanto (April 6th, 2018)

Thanks

Default Who wants to make their own Montblanc Racing Green ink?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Chrissy,

Fred
    No definitely go with as old as possible. My Royal Blue is in the old type bottle, and my bit of black was the rehydrated stuff from the funny old plastic bottle. The older version is more likely to contain the blue and orange dyes
    Uh oh. I can't find any old MB blue. Did it even have a name on the old bottles other than "blue"? Golden Yellow is the new stuff, and that's in short supply.

Has anyone ever determined whether the same company produced both the old and new inks bottled under the Montblanc name? Or more specifically, is it the same stuff? Perhaps your kitchen towel test is in order.

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; January 6th, 2017 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks

Chrissy,

Fred
    Uh oh. I can't find any old MB blue. Did it even have a name on the old bottles other than "blue"? Golden Yellow is the new stuff, and that's in short supply.

Has anyone ever determined whether the same company produced both the old and new inks bottled under the Montblanc name? Or more specifically, is it the same stuff? Perhaps your kitchen towel test is in order.

Fred
    My old bottle is called Royal Blue, and so is my new bottle. I don't mean the latest permanent blue. My kitchen towel test just shows one blue dye.

Thanks

And interesting idea. I think, though, I'll stick to the ones I can buy...!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

Correction. Golden Yellow is still available (in at least one MB boutique). Watch out for premature price gouging.

Fred

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

very cool, thanks Chrissy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    very cool, thanks Chrissy
    You're welcome.

Thanks

I have some old MbRG cartridges, plus a part bottle of MbRG and I decided to have a look at them to see if they were the same. Not that I mistrust the half bottle that I bought on ebay, but I love playing around with ink and it was MbRG's turn.

I recently bought a mixed box of inks, and in there was an old plastic Mb bottle that originally contained black ink. It had dehydrated to powder, so I just put some distilled water in there to see what happened. A few days later, I had black ink and no sediment in the bottom. That was a good start! Then I did a chroma test on that ink.

I do chroma tests on almost every ink that I buy, so that I know what dyes made it. Just cut a piece of kitchen roll into strips of about 1" wide or slightly less, get a cotton bud. Very gently just dip the bottom part of the cotton bud into the ink (so as not to waste too much) and dab it onto the towel strip about an inch up from one end. Then put a piece of sticky tape on the other end and hang up the strip ideally on a shelf where you have another shelf below. Then on the lower shelf, stand a glass half full of tap water and let the bottom of the towel strip touch the water in the glass by not more than a few mm. The water will soak up the strip and take the original dyes up with it. Don't leave it too long though. Just until you can see the water level on the strip is clear of the last dye - a couple of minutes.

The chroma test on the black ink that I had rehydrated showed it contained blue and yellow/orange dyes, with a little black between them. An unusual result for black ink.

Then I did the same chroma tests on my MbRG cartridges, (one from each of two different packs) One chroma tested as the same blue dye that was in the black ink plus yellow dye. Slightly more yellow that that in the black ink, plus a little black in between them.

From that result, I now have a simple recipe to make MbRG. Using two plastic pipettes or syringes, add equal amounts of Montblanc Royal Blue and Montblanc Golden Yellow into a sample vial. Then get a wooden cocktail stick or kebab stick and carefully dip the end into Montblanc ordinary black ink. Stir the mixture in the sample vial with the end of the cocktail stick. That makes the dark green ink. Swab test that on a cotton bud to test how dark it is. Very carefully add tiny, tiny amounts of black on the end of the cocktail stick, and keep swab testing until it's a good dark green. If it's a little on the blue side, add another drop of Golden Yellow. Please don't add too much black or it will be too dark.

I compared it against my MbRG cartridge and they were exactly the same colour.

Happy Mixing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best Regards,
    Mike
    Mike
    Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

Thanks

I have always wanted MBRG, but refused to pay 100.00 or more per bottle at today's going rates? Thank you for putting together such a comprehensive plan for making some MBRG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best Regards,
    Mike
    Mike
    Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

Thanks

I am game!

Lead us on Chrissy! We can surely come up with a recipe that is worthy of our efforts!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
    I am game!

Lead us on Chrissy! We can surely come up with a recipe that is worthy of our efforts!
    She already has. See her OP above:

...I now have a simple recipe to make MbRG. Using two plastic pipettes or syringes, add equal amounts of Montblanc Royal Blue and Montblanc Golden Yellow into a sample vial. Then get a wooden cocktail stick or kebab stick and carefully dip the end into Montblanc ordinary black ink. Stir the mixture in the sample vial with the end of the cocktail stick. That makes the dark green ink. Swab test that on a cotton bud to test how dark it is. Very carefully add tiny, tiny amounts of black on the end of the cocktail stick, and keep swab testing until it's a good dark green. If it's a little on the blue side, add another drop of Golden Yellow. Please don't add too much black or it will be too dark.

Chrissy, I snagged a couple of bottles of MB Golden Yellow ink (I presume the later sterile formula) from the local Montblanc boutique, and I already have their Royal Blue (though in the new-style bottle) and too much MB black in several unopened old bottles. So today is mixing day. Do you ever make a full bottle of a successful recipe, or do you remix in vials only as you need it?

Fred

Thanks

I have only made some in a vial so far, as I have a part bottle and a couple of cartridges. If I didn't have any at all, I would make more.

Here are some chroma tests:

The first one is Montblanc Black from the old plastic bottle. Next to it is a chroma test from one of my old Montblanc Racing Green cartridges.

Montblanc Black.JPGMontblanc Racing Green_0002.JPG

Then there is one of the mixture I have made using the recipe in the original post on here:

Montblanc Racing Green_0004.JPG

Thanks

I was unable to find my graduated syringes, but that was not going to stop me today.

I put four full pipettes of Montblanc Royal Blue and four full pipettes of Golden Yellow into an empty Waterman bottle. I then started carefully (as Chrissy cautioned) adding Montblanc black drop by drop and compared swabs against swabs from my bottle of Racing Green. A lot more black was needed as I tried and tried again, and finally I added 4 more drops of yellow. When the swabs matched Racing Green, the ratio was:

4.0 parts MB Royal Blue
    4.2 parts MB Golden Yellow
    0.8 parts MB Black

If I had proper measuring vessels handy, I'd be more specific.

Fred

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 14th, 2017), Cob (April 7th, 2018), junglejim (April 10th, 2018), ms8109 (February 24th, 2017)

Thanks

As an additional observation, my bottle of Racing Green gives me a completely different chroma test to one of my packs of cartridges. So Montblanc had more than one batch of Racing Green made, and they were different in that the dyes used to make them were different, but they ended up as very similar colours.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

ms8109 (February 24th, 2017)