Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Platinum 3776

Thanks

Default Re: Platinum 3776

Generally lives in a pocket or my work bag, came from Japan so not sure what kind of warranty it will have. Although it was through Amazon.
    Worth an ask i suppose.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    Generally lives in a pocket or my work bag...
    Honestly, that doesn't tell us much. "in a pocket" could be a pen carefully clipped in a shirt pocket, singly, or it could be a pen carried in a pants pocked along with spare change and car keys. Same vagueness with the bag. I'm not *assuming* anything, but if you are asking anyone to give insight into a situation that most of us haven't seen happen, it would help to have a little more precise description of your care. As I recall, you haven't had this pen for long at all, so I have suspicions over a bad pen or user error.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

As with all my daily carry pens, they go from pants pocket with a mobile phone, to work bag clipped to a pocket with often a couple of other pens. A rough existence, so wear is expected, but most of my daily driver pens have taken much more than a month to show wear.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Sorry but once a fountain pen goes in a pants pocket it is abused and child services should get involved.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (April 23rd, 2017), Jon Szanto (April 23rd, 2017)

Thanks

Ok, user error. Not something that can reported under warranty. Maybe at some point you can invest in an inexpensive EDC carry case that will still protect your pens better than that. Or just get used to beat-up pens.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I don't mind my pens getting raggedy through use, but I was surprised at the speed of it with this one. It took a year for my parker sonnet to show the same wear.
    Just thought it was worth mentioning, I always like to see people's journey with a pen, rather than the one one week in love review.
    As for the writing, it's a peach.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 659 Posts

I side with Ryan. I, too, feel that many pens made by Platinum have great nibs but lower quality build than, say, Pilot. Heck, one of the trim rings from my ribbed 3776 fell off within a few months.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    I don't mind my pens getting raggedy through use, but I was surprised at the speed of it with this one. It took a year for my parker sonnet to show the same wear.
    Just thought it was worth mentioning, I always like to see people's journey with a pen, rather than the one one week in love review.
    As for the writing, it's a peach.
    Understood. We all have these for differing reasons, differing uses, and simply end up with different experiences. Some day you might consider mating the nib from the 3776 with a sturdier 'work' pen. I think in situations like this, "Frankenpenning" is a great way to go!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

If you're hell-bent on putting it in your pants pocket (a sacrilege I admit I also commit), I'd suggest finding an all-metal holder. I'm not sure what size Platinum nibs are, but if they're standard no. 6, maybe a titanium Namisu nova or Orion would work (both use no. 6 Bock nibs, I think). They seem foolproof and are quite affordable as far as titanium goes. Best of luck!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    If you're hell-bent on putting it in your pants pocket (a sacrilege I admit I also commit), I'd suggest finding an all-metal holder. I'm not sure what size Platinum nibs are, but if they're standard no. 6, maybe a titanium Namisu nova or Orion would work (both use no. 6 Bock nibs, I think). They seem foolproof and are quite affordable as far as titanium goes. Best of luck!
    My first decent pen which suffers the fate of my daily carry, was and still is a cross century 2 medalist. A metal pen so clearly more suited to the type of work, however it has taken its beating well. Another one is the Sheaffer prelude, which is far newer than the cross, at about 6 months old, still looks like new.
    To be honest i probably should have gone for something sturdier for a daily carry, but we are on the journey together now so let's see where it leads. If I ever decide to do a "review" at least I will have reviewed the life out of it.