Thread: 3M Scotch-Weld DP810 as Black filler?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default 3M Scotch-Weld DP810 as Black filler?

So I purchased a Travelers Fountain pen/pencil combo that I know has a gouge in it. For $7 I'm not complaining and it could be useful as a learning tool. I am thinking about filling the gouge with 3M Scotch-Weld DP810. I started researching solvent welding and came across this product that already has a black color to it. I am guessing it may not match the exact shade but I think filling the gouge will look better than leaving it as is. I see that it can be used on ebonite. Good idea or no? My conclusions come from this video:

Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Default Re: 3M Scotch-Weld DP810 as Black filler?

I wonder if he knows a file only removes material in one direction.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (January 19th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,492 Times in 4,012 Posts

I use similar products that are available in the UK, but the way I learned was to not overfill by so much. Also, for a deep gouge, it's better to add thinner layers of the filler in stages rather than to try and fill a deep hole all at once.

It probably makes less of a difference for the job he was doing on the video clip. However, if you're filling in a gouge in a fountain pen, and all of the material is the same, then it will be much more difficult to not damage the surrounding surface when you're sanding down the overfill.

I also use micro mesh 12,000 to polish with before the polishing compound.

If you can get small amounts of powder pigments, you can match up the colour by mixing it into the adhesive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I use similar products that are available in the UK, but the way I learned was to not overfill by so much. Also, for a deep gouge, it's better to add thinner layers of the filler in stages rather than to try and fill a deep hole all at once.

It probably makes less of a difference for the job he was doing on the video clip. However, if you're filling in a gouge in a fountain pen, and all of the material is the same, then it will be much more difficult to not damage the surrounding surface when you're sanding down the overfill.

I also use micro mesh 12,000 to polish with before the polishing compound.

If you can get small amounts of powder pigments, you can match up the colour by mixing it into the adhesive.
    I'm fully prepared for polishing with micromesh and have grits up to 12K. Thank you Chrissy.

Thanks

Good question; I have a Montblanc ballpoint incoming, with the matte black paint kind of finish, but it has been engraved with the name of a pharmaceutical haha. Probably given to a doctor as a bribe to prescribe Ciproxin. Anyway, I am pondering options to fill in the letters... black paint would match for finish, but if I could fill in the engraving with something that would match the color to begin with that would help.

I have heard of similar products ("Weldbond" comes to mind) that I believe can be tinted before use or come in different shades to begin with. My main concern is whether epoxies or fillers can be used on delicate pen materials, as they can melt certain plastics or cause them to go cloudy on contact. So careful masking is a must, for both application and for sanding as was mentioned. One option is to just use a thick enamel-based paint as a filler, and just apply a large number of coats. Depends on the size of the gouge though as obviously paint won't make the best or most durable filler.

Please share any success! You may elect not to mention any disasters ever again.

Thanks

I received the pen and it looks like something hot was placed on three areas of the cap. not deep but very noticeable since the cap material is shiny. I looked up the product on Amazon and it runs $32 found another source that has it for $20. I have not ordered it yet since I wanted to evaluate if I could just sand and polish first. That is not an option. they need to be filled. I'll be ordering the 3M stuff.