Thread: 1st review - Visconti HS Florentine Hills

Thanks

Default 1st review - Visconti HS Florentine Hills

Hi all,

First review here so go easy on me... Let's start with the pictures.

https://goo.gl/photos/57Wj4iGCRCXUX3jAA

I've not had much time with this pen as I only had it for a couple weeks, and only recently inked it to use. My HS has a F nib (originally had a M nib but the retailer swapped it to an F nib for me before shipping). From everything that I read and watched, Visconti typically write very wet and thicker which is why I went for the F nib. Currently it is inked with Monte Verde Yosemite Green. Filling the barrel was quite easy and a more pleasurable experience than my piston and CC filler pens.

My first several pages of writing, I was very suprised that writing with this nib / ink combo provided a much thinner line than my Sailor KOP with M nib and my Pelikan M1000 with F nib. This is on various papers (3 different standard office papers and the Rhodia dot pad in the pictures). Again, from everything I read, I expected a thicker and extremely juicy line. If I had the oppurtunity to test it out before purchasing I may have went with a medium. Not much hint of feedback, especially on the Rhodia dot pad. The nib seemed to glide over the paper with no issues of railroding, hard starts, or skipping during the short writing sessions. Oils from my hand didn't seem to give it any trouble either.

Going back to the pen and pen design, I definitely like the aesthetics of the pen. The stripes / ribbons in the barrel and cap really look deep and dimensional. I do like how each one is different than the others and give a limited edition pen even more uniqueness. No issues with the clip regarding putting it in a shirt or pants pocket. One thing I did notice though was the lacquer on the clip seems inconsistent -- some lacquer over the letters. I tried to capture it in the pictures. When the cap is on the pen I expected it to fit tighter with less play. I know its a springloaded cap with the quick lock threads but more play than I thought and it doesn't feel that secure. I haven't had any issues with it uncapping in my pocket which is good.

Hope my initial impressions were helpful to someone and I plan on doing an update down the road. Looking forward to many more years of writing with this one. More reviews to come on my other pens as I get more time with them.
    Last edited by Spoonage; January 18th, 2017 at 07:19 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spoonage For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (April 1st, 2017), EHV (January 19th, 2017), frmamede (February 4th, 2017), jar (January 19th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: 1st review - Visconti HS Florentine Hills

Very helpful, do you feel you have got your monies worth? I know these are limited editions so obviously will always be expensive, and I'm a huge fan of the HS line, but do you feel you got what you hoped for when you parted with your money. I only ask because I really want one.

Thanks

I definitely think so. I got a good deal on the HS, and compared to the Pelikan M1000 I have that I purchased (both bought new about a week apart) it's writing much better out of the box. In comparison, my Pelikan has nib issues. Misaligned nib and feed, feedback, very loud when writing. I've since looked at the Pelikan nib under magnification and the tines are misaligned. If I had to choose between these 2 right now if I can only keep 1 it would be the HS. The lacquer issue with the HS clip while on a pen of this price is a bit disappointing it's not a deal breaker. I bought the HS because of its overall looks and what I've researched on the nib. Even on luxury items costing 10 times the amount from brands 100 years old I've seen and had bigger QA issues (one of my other hobbies). A small thing like that is not a huge concern especially compared to the nib issues I'm having with the Pelikan (and no support from Pelikan US since it was bought and shipped from overseas).

My comments about it writing thinner than expected again is preference and probably would be solved by going up a nib size. I just expected a thicker line due to the reviews I read and watched and my visual comparison to my Pelikan and Sailor. Had I had the opportunity to sample / test write, I probably would have went with a M nib on this but again from what I've read and watched, many people state Visconti typically write close to a size up which is why I went with the F. It could just be my nib / ink / paper combinations I've tried and admit this is still my first barrel full of ink so it's only had the Monte Verde ink. Would a wetter ink change the line thickness, possibly, but I won't know until I get there. I'm hoping that with more writing and different inks I'll see what combinations work best for me. If I can give advice it would be to sample or test the nib if possible prior to purchase. The short amount of time I've had with it has been great and I'm expecting many more years of great writing experiences. Is it worth the premium over say a HS Bronze, as they have the same nibs, yes if you like the looks better. With that being said I do want the Bronze as well and since they will write the same I would be just as happy writing with it had I just got the Bronze. The only thing about the Bronze is that it doesn't have an ink window to see your ink level and is the only negative I see. I guess that's a very long answer to a yes or no question.
    Last edited by Spoonage; January 19th, 2017 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks

My sole Visconti is a steel nib so I don't know if there's a difference, but it is easily my broadest F nib, it's the same size as my cheapie pens that come only in M (Pelikan Twist etc).

Thanks

RocketRyan,

There was someone selling an HS Florentine Hills w/ a medium nib in the for sale section. I don't remember seeing the thread marked sold so it could still be available. No relation to the seller but I did comment on the thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    My sole Visconti is a steel nib so I don't know if there's a difference, but it is easily my broadest F nib, it's the same size as my cheapie pens that come only in M (Pelikan Twist etc).
    I would expect the Pd Dreamtouch to have the potential to write a fatter line as it's a softer nib. Equal pressure will spread the tines on the Dreamtouch more than a steel nib. But it comes back to pressure. I write with a little more pressure than my wife. She gets a fine line out of my fine Dreamtouch. I get more of a medium line. What I find confusing is that I get different lines out of two different fine Dreamtouch nibs.

For those who are interested in the Dreamtouch nib, I found that they are available in the Michelangelo, and the Michelangelo can be found under $300 new. It's a really nice pen and you get a feel for the nib at a much more affordable price. You can then decide if the expensive limited edition will write well enough to justify the added cost of the "art" factor in the design / styling.

I also love the look of the Florentine Hills and London Fog, but can't justify the price already having a standard HS.
    Last edited by Scooby921; January 20th, 2017 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks

Yes. The nib definitely has variation if you flex it. Attached is compared to my KOP.

https://goo.gl/photos/SbPu42cRvYecqkz5A

Also. The lacquer on the clip has now started to chip off. Just seems like the QA control wasnt there on the clip.

https://goo.gl/photos/P8Ti6zJwPoYTb4Xw6

I'm not having the concerns / issues that others have reported with QA concerns on the nib. Mine writes as it should and would rather have issues with clip lacquer vs. Nib issues. Take it from me as I'm dealing with that on my Pelikan M1000 and while it hasn't totally ruined the writing experience, it did put a damper on it.

On a seperate note, anyone with a HS Florentine Hills have the same issues with the ink in the secondary reservoir that the Crystal was having? -- Ink getting through the "double" wall and in between the 2 layers as seen in The Nibsmith's review on the Crystal and I belive others have mentioned it as well.
    Last edited by Spoonage; January 28th, 2017 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks

Just an update, I have since sent the cap off to be replaced (per recommendation by the retailer). The lacquer continued to chip since my last post and has now moved passed my zone of acceptance for QA issues. As such the HS is now cleaned and capless in its box waiting for the replacement cap. Will continue to update as time goes on. But this gives me the chance to give other pens time to be inked and some reviews.

Thanks

To be fair there should be no QC problems at this price point. If I can buy a Sheaffer prelude or even a Lamy all-star and have no issues I would expect no less on a pen like this. To be fair to Visconti I do have a van Gogh, which came perfect, so they can do it.

Thanks

While I agree that any manufacturer can make a perfect product, regardless of company and price point no manufacturer has to date made 100% of their products without QA issues. I know as my past life I was a QA Engineer for both Automotive and Medical companies making products with costs on orders of magnitude higher than most of these luxury pens in the most general terms. And these are companies regulated to very high standards holding ISO / EN / etc. certifications meeting ISO / EN / Milspec standards with scrutinization from the FDA (medical), and other governing bodies. Not that I have ever worked for Ferrari, but even they have had huge recalls. If I remember correctly they had several 458 Italias catch fire.

My expectation would be that low volume hand built bespoke pens would have less QA issues since they are built one at a time by master craftsmen / women and each component is carefully crafted, inspected, and assembled.

The other thing that plays a part in so called QA issues are what the manufacturer and consumer define as a defect or issue. What is acceptable to one is not always the case to the other, and in a world of mass produced goods, not every component is inspected on every product.

With all of that said, I'm still happy I bought it, and it's covered under warranty so no real monetary burden to me other than shipping costs. The nib which is the most important to the writing experience is without QA issues, unlike my Pelikan M1000 with nib issues out of the box. To be completely fair, the Florentine Hills was released in 2014, and while I did purchase it new last month, that means it was sitting around for well over a year. Who knows how many people handled it between leaving the factory and me picking it up for the first time.
    Last edited by Spoonage; January 28th, 2017 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks

The hit rate just seems too high in my opinion. It wouldn't stop me from buying one, but if the much hated mont blanc can get it right why can't Visconti? Like I say I have bought one of their pens and would buy more. Not angry just disappointed.

Thanks

Yes I can agree there is some level of dissatisfaction / disappointment. I'm hoping that the cap gets back to me soon enough and then it's back to writing with this wonderful nib.

Thanks

I hope one day to experience one too.