Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What pen was used by President Trump?

Thanks

Default Re: What pen was used by President Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    I was hoping he used a traditional fountain pen. Maybe next time he will.
    You're kidding, right? I would rather not have an object I love to use suddenly become a (albeit small) public symbol of hateful intolerance, corruption, and incompetence. Using a technology of yore would be appropriate, however, considering his reactionary agenda.
    Are you upset with home about the temporary ban on Muslims. O I got from certain countries? Sure you are. Obama did the same thing. Nothing was ever said about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Crayola would have been more suited to Dolack Borama
    Oh, yes, that is a fine and well-articulated rebuke of the former, legitimate POTUS.

Are you upset with home about the temporary ban on Muslims. O I got from certain countries? Sure you are. Obama did the same thing. Nothing was ever said about it.
    Beyond the fact that you don't seem to understand basic sentence construction in the English language (DeVos much?), your facts aren't even correct. But hey, newcomer, thanks for playing!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

If his staff were more historically literate, they could have requested the pen FDR used to sign EO 9066.
    Last edited by Chemyst; February 4th, 2017 at 05:28 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chemyst For This Useful Post:

catbert (February 4th, 2017), fountainpenkid (February 4th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

You're kidding, right? I would rather not have an object I love to use suddenly become a (albeit small) public symbol of hateful intolerance, corruption, and incompetence. Using a technology of yore would be appropriate, however, considering his reactionary agenda.
    That is simply not the case--he did no such thing (there was no unconstitutional ban based purely on nation origin (or ban of any sort), nor an unreasonable limiting/cease of refugee entry during his administration). It's too late here to write a proper reply, but please review the facts. The argument that the executive order does great things to legitimately protect the safety of U.S citizens is pure fear-mongering--it is a solution looking for a problem (no terrorist attacks have been committed by a national from any of the 7 countries on the list etc. etc.). I do think there exists a small and thus far non-exploited (as far as I know) loophole in our current visa system--temporary work visas from some European countries with lax immigration laws are issued by state department officials not trained in terrorism interrogation--but this executive order nothing to address that potential problem. Its language is vague and its effects unconstitutional in more ways than one--the religious-based preference it gives to non-Muslim refugees, for whom entering the U.S is already a multi-year multi-agency ordeal, troubles me the most. Indeed, it is that part of the order which unequivocally affirms its status as a Muslim Ban. No one should be defending this--at the very least, not in its entirety.

And while the Muslim Ban has caused the most visible and immediate suffering, it is just a fragment of the reasons for my assessment of the administration as one of "hateful intolerance, corruption, and incompetence." Look at the dangerous shift in environmental policy (and step backwards for Native American rights), the inhumane executive action on deportations and sanctuary cities...the list goes on. As one professor at my college has put it, we face the full force of a "firehose."
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; February 4th, 2017 at 07:55 PM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (February 4th, 2017), Jon Szanto (February 4th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (February 4th, 2017), popcod (February 5th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,834 Times in 1,165 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chemyst View Post
    If his staff was more historically literate, they could have requested the pen FDR used to sign EO 9066.
    Which would have been a fountain pen ...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,834 Times in 1,165 Posts

Meanwhile, back in the 21st century ...

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-emissions-law

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    I am also intrigued. I found this close up:

Something very soft inside there.
    Looks like he had a sharpie refill in the pen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

You know I think there is entirely too much hate going on in this country. This is a fountain pen forum. You can turn on the news, or paper and see whichever political slant you want to find. We don't need a civil war on a fountain pen thread. There are a ton of political forums on the internet. They toss ideas back and forth 24/7. Please find one that you like, and go for it. I never dreamed my simple statement would turn things in this direction. We have been pushed into compartments in every possible way they can divide us. So can we just get along with the business and pleasure of pen, ink, and paper?
    Last edited by KKay; February 4th, 2017 at 09:21 PM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KKay For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 4th, 2017), RedMercury (January 27th, 2018), StrongerLove (February 4th, 2017), VertOlive (February 24th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

You know I think there is entirely too much hate going on in this country. This is a fountain pen forum. You can turn on the news, or paper and see whichever political slant you want to find. We don't need a civil war on a fountain pen thread. There are a ton of political forums on the internet. They toss ideas back and forth 24/7. Please one that you like, and go for it. I never dreamed my simple statement would turn things in this direction. We have been pushed into compartments in every possible way they can divide us. So can we just get along with the business and pleasure of pen, ink, and paper?
    On your wish that the chief executive use a fountain pen, I am sorry for responding the way I did. An argument either way is ultimately pretty meaningless. My personal feelings on the issue--that if he used one it would be noted and possibly make using a fountain pen some sort of political gesture--are just that--personal.
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; February 4th, 2017 at 08:05 PM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 4th, 2017), KKay (February 4th, 2017), RedMercury (January 27th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,444 Times in 2,523 Posts

You know I think there is entirely too much hate going on in this country. This is a fountain pen forum.
    True enough, but when a light-hearted question is posed about the pen used by a president who espouses the very hate you complain of when he signs documents that cross the law (pun intended), you must expect responsive comment.

Fred

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

dam (February 5th, 2017), Jon Szanto (February 5th, 2017)

Thanks

Stevekolt asked the question. I was replying to him. I had read most of the replies, but here and there. I did not read it from start to finish in one setting, and then reply. So I had forgotten about what had been said. I didn't realize I should tip toe around with what I said. I enjoy fountain pens, and think they are wonderful. Otherwise I wouldn't be a member of this forum. I wish everyone would try a fountain pen. There is nothing "between the lines" to search for.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

KKay, these are touchy times, on that I think we can all agree. In general, we like our pen discussions here to be just that - about pens, and pen related things.

Back when the owner of the site took an active interest, and when we had an ongoing actual site admin, a rather big discussion came up about similar topics (including religion), and a number of us suggested a sub-forum that wouldn't show up in the "What's New" and other activity searches. The forum is still there, known as "Politics, Religion and Society". Most people who wanted to broaden out their conversations into this area became accustomed to using that place. After all, if you spend a good deal of time chatting with people, you get to know them, and it is natural to have fuller, broader talks.

After it was opened up, once again things got back to pen-centrism, with occasional bits here and there that were of other natures. Now enough time has passed that most if not all of the newer members don't even know about it. We used to just have the admin move an entire thread there (as I recall) if it's subject became of that nature. Now it's just a matter of paying attention to what one posts.

I have to say that, in the current climate, it is a bit naive to imagine that a conversation involving the elected president could be carried out as benignly as talking about which color of ink to purchase. We're all stressed in some way, these are not normal times, and people react. I know I did, when I perceived remarkably ham-fisted comments. It's partly my nature to speak out, and partly an overflow from other online discussions, and mostly just a sign of how edgy many people are. I pray that all of this - the much BIGGER issue out in the real world - will pass or heal or get corrected so that we might be able to have a general return to normal life and governance.

It must be abundantly clear which side of the political spectrum I'm on, but I've tried to be as respectful and centrist in my comments here, and I hope that you take them in the manner in which I seek to give them: with an intent to be helpful.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

popcod (February 5th, 2017)

Thanks

My eyes have been opened. Point taken. These are touchy times, I can agree. I have no desire to express my political views one way or another on FP Geeks. If I did, I would rush to the political arena on here. You won't see me post there, especially in light of the crazy times we live in. This hobby helps me keep my mind off of the current atmosphere. I do not mean to be rude, but blunt. I am a live and let live type of person. I plan to keep it that way, if possible. I wish our country was not so divided. We live in scary times. From what I've seen things are not going to get better any time soon.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KKay For This Useful Post:

farmdogfan (February 5th, 2017), fountainpenkid (February 5th, 2017), Jon Szanto (February 5th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Davidafranklin View Post
    It is the standard black roller ball refill, medium size. Although I believe Cross does not have the best ballpoint refill, when it comes to Roller Ball, it is just an awesome refill.
    In ballpoint the Cross Broad is quite nice.

Thanks

I'm just glad they weren't fountain pens.
    Your 15 minutes of fame.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevekolt View Post
    What pen was used today by President Trump? I thought it may have been a series of Cross pens, but I'm not sure. Thanks.
    YUp, yer right......
    Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi # 63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE F/P, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado,Genkai Nakaya Decapodl Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain!, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa Fe Style Custom "51" Made by Ralph Prather - president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club

Thanks

Fred at The Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia showed me this model Cross pen and a broad/felty/sharpie? kind of nib, along with an article and image illustrating the President's signature. His only comment was something to the effect of, "His signature takes a long time to write."
    BTW, I have a few Cross fountain pens, and my favorite turned out to be the little Stratford.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks
    Thanked 6,444 Times in 2,523 Posts

John McLaughlin, former Deputy Director/Acting Director of the CIA, signed the statement in support of a responsive motion in the current appeal in the US 9th Circuit Court regarding the Muslim ban:

It's the most attractive signature of all that were appended, no doubt due to the choice of writing instrument. The vexing issues are: (1) what type of nib did he use, and (2) which ink was in his pen? (I think determining the brand of John's pen is beyond our capabilities here, unless...John, are you reading this? Are you a Geek who can clear up these questions?

Fire away.

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; February 8th, 2017 at 05:52 AM.

Thanks

I never understood presumed educated grown-ups engage in puerile practice of transforming names into insults (from both parties). Obummer and Dump? Really? Whether you agree with their views and policies or not, they are/were both our duly elected Presidents and deserve, at minimum, cordiality. If you can't respect the men, at least respect the office of Presidency.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RNHC For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (February 8th, 2017), RedMercury (January 27th, 2018), StrongerLove (February 9th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    I never understood presumed educated grown-ups engage in puerile practice of transforming names into insults (from both parties). Obummer and Dump? Really? Whether you agree with their views and policies or not, they are/were both our duly elected Presidents and deserve, at minimum, cordiality. If you can't respect the men, at least respect the office of Presidency.

I see the inability to write out the "enemy's" name as a failure of self-control. Says more about the person speaking/writing than the person being spoken/written about. And that's coming from someone who struggles to put "Trump" and "President" next to each other in the correct order.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

RedMercury (January 27th, 2018)