Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: First pen and its an Esterbrook

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default First pen and its an Esterbrook

    Bought my first pen yesterday. A vintage Esterbrook, for $12.50. I believe its a J or LJ model.

    http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment....&thumb=1&stc=1
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    FPG Donor ♕ KrazyIvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas-USA
    Posts
    4,880
    Thanks
    1,377
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 872 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: First pen and its an Esterbrook

    At $12.50 I am assuming it needs to be restored, correct?
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | inktronics blog | Twitter | Instagram

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: First pen and its an Esterbrook

    It has a new ink sac and does work

  4. #4
    Senior Member southpaw52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fort Smith AR
    Posts
    859
    Thanks
    450
    Thanked 229 Times in 140 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: First pen and its an Esterbrook

    You can not go wrong with having an Esterbrook. Appears to be the "J Model, which nib # does it have?


    InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

  5. #5
    FPG Donor ♕ KrazyIvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas-USA
    Posts
    4,880
    Thanks
    1,377
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 872 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: First pen and its an Esterbrook

    You did well for having the ink sac replaced! I bought one in the same color a few months ago for $30 and a 9668 nib. I had to replace the sac but it is in almost new condition.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | inktronics blog | Twitter | Instagram

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: First pen and its an Esterbrook

    This one has a 1554 nib. Yea I was pretty happy about snagging it. When I found it it only had about a minute to go so I threw a bid at it..lol

  7. #7
    Senior Member pajaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,056
    Thanks
    357
    Thanked 401 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: First pen and its an Esterbrook

    A very good price. Many people like these pens.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

    Scrawler (January 24th, 2017)

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,374
    Thanks
    1,639
    Thanked 2,904 Times in 1,060 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: First pen and its an Esterbrook

    Quote Originally Posted by Searcher1970 View Post
    Bought my first pen yesterday. A vintage Esterbrook, for $12.50. I believe its a J or LJ model.
    It's easy to differentiate.
    If the top plastic black jewel is the same size as the bottom one, it's either LJ or SJ (the former is longer than the latter, my SJ measures 4-3/4 inches, I don't have an LJ on hand to measure but it's a tad longer than 5 inches).

    If the top plastic black jewel is larger than the bottom one, it's the chunky J model.

    As others said, can't go wrong with an Esterbrook J series pen. Your nib may need a bit smoothing, but bid your time and search for 9XXX nibs, there are many types.
    - Will
    A place to look for restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,425
    Thanks
    1,943
    Thanked 561 Times in 360 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: First pen and its an Esterbrook

    They are great workhorse pens. Excellent price, also. Enjoy the pen.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: First pen and its an Esterbrook

    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Searcher1970 View Post
    Bought my first pen yesterday. A vintage Esterbrook, for $12.50. I believe its a J or LJ model.
    It's easy to differentiate.
    If the top plastic black jewel is the same size as the bottom one, it's either LJ or SJ (the former is longer than the latter, my SJ measures 4-3/4 inches, I don't have an LJ on hand to measure but it's a tad longer than 5 inches).

    If the top plastic black jewel is larger than the bottom one, it's the chunky J model.

    As others said, can't go wrong with an Esterbrook J series pen. Your nib may need a bit smoothing, but bid your time and search for 9XXX nibs, there are many types.
    Are the 9XXX nibs higher quality?

  12. #11
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    512
    Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: First pen and its an Esterbrook

    Great choice. And no worries about eBay counterfeit Esterbrooks.

    Fred

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,374
    Thanks
    1,639
    Thanked 2,904 Times in 1,060 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: First pen and its an Esterbrook

    Quote Originally Posted by Searcher1970 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Searcher1970 View Post
    Bought my first pen yesterday. A vintage Esterbrook, for $12.50. I believe its a J or LJ model.
    It's easy to differentiate.
    If the top plastic black jewel is the same size as the bottom one, it's either LJ or SJ (the former is longer than the latter, my SJ measures 4-3/4 inches, I don't have an LJ on hand to measure but it's a tad longer than 5 inches).

    If the top plastic black jewel is larger than the bottom one, it's the chunky J model.

    As others said, can't go wrong with an Esterbrook J series pen. Your nib may need a bit smoothing, but bid your time and search for 9XXX nibs, there are many types.
    Are the 9XXX nibs higher quality?
    Those are tipped, great for nib modification. For normal use, nothing wrong with a smoothed 2XXX or even 1XXX nibs.
    - Will
    A place to look for restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

  14. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: First pen and its an Esterbrook

    Mail call! I like it. Now hopefully my ink will be here tomorrow.

    20170126_103914.jpg20170126_103948.jpg

  15. #14
    FPG Donor ♕ KrazyIvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas-USA
    Posts
    4,880
    Thanks
    1,377
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 872 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: First pen and its an Esterbrook

    For the uninitiated, it will definitely call attention to itself.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | inktronics blog | Twitter | Instagram

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •