Default Re: Nib comparison question: Pilot PO vs Masuyama Needlepoint

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    There are cartridge 51s...
    NOW WE'RE TALKING!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    For having a needlepoint ground, I think Masuyama is the one to go with. I had a Franklin Christoph with a Masuyama needlepoint. Here is my review over at FPN. Even though I print very small at meetings, it was too fine for even me.

You say "extra pen hanging around" like it's a bad thing...

I'm guessing you're right, but I'd want to ask him about it at a pen show. I wish he would come to the Poland Pen Show, SHEESH.

As for "extra pen," you know... I'd totally snatch up an $80 Platinum urushi Piccolo Cigar. But if I'm going to have an extra average plastic, mass-produced pen lyin' around, I'd prefer the Pilot CH912 or another Pilot Falcon (SEF). I have heard VERY GOOD things about the Platinum 3776, though, and I'm probably being foolish about this whole thing.

I don't know. But I just heard that some Parker 51s use a cartridge. TAKE MY MONEY! And I want a Kullock cap on it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    OK, Ethernautrix, catching up on that "subtle line variation" - next time you get a chance, try one of FC's new EF-SIG nibs. Pull stroke like a German EF/Japanese F, cross stroke an absolute hairline... You'd have to talk to Jim Rouse, perhaps, but he does a marvellous job with these SIGs. And I don't know of any other EF stubs on the 'regular' market.
    Oo, maybe Jim Rouse will attend Pen Show Poland! I'll bet someone at Pen Posse might have a Masuyakma needlepoint, so I will ask on the FB page. If so, I'm sure I'll be able to try one when I'm in California next time. (Unfortunately, not during the LA Pen Show nor the SF Pen Show. SIGH.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    FPNibs.com will do you a Jowo #6 PO nib for around 20 euros.
    WHAAAT?! Seriously?! POSTING nib? POSTING?!

Cos I have a couple of Danitrios that use Jowo $6 steel nibs. I will check out FPNibs.com. Thanks, EOC!

Thanks

Well, I don't know about PO, but they offer XXF and nib only (no feed or housing, which I don't need).

And even Aurora nibs! I'll have to check the exchange rate on those. Anyway, the one I want is out of stock.

But what a great resource! Thanks again, EOC!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,305 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    For having a needlepoint ground, I think Masuyama is the one to go with. I had a Franklin Christoph with a Masuyama needlepoint. Here is my review over at FPN. Even though I print very small at meetings, it was too fine for even me.

You say "extra pen hanging around" like it's a bad thing...

I'm guessing you're right, but I'd want to ask him about it at a pen show. I wish he would come to the Poland Pen Show, SHEESH.

As for "extra pen," you know... I'd totally snatch up an $80 Platinum urushi Piccolo Cigar. But if I'm going to have an extra average plastic, mass-produced pen lyin' around, I'd prefer the Pilot CH912 or another Pilot Falcon (SEF). I have heard VERY GOOD things about the Platinum 3776, though, and I'm probably being foolish about this whole thing.

I don't know. But I just heard that some Parker 51s use a cartridge. TAKE MY MONEY! And I want a Kullock cap on it!
    You're just looking at it wrong. You're buying a $100 Platinum gold nib, which is a fair price for a nib. The company is very considerate of the customer when it sells these nibs, and includes a bit of plastic for you to hold on to. The only difference between a Platinum nib and a Nakaya nib is the logo stamped on it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (February 1st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

You're just looking at it wrong. You're buying a $100 Platinum gold nib, which is a fair price for a nib. The company is very considerate of the customer when it sells these nibs, and includes a bit of plastic for you to hold on to. The only difference between a Platinum nib and a Nakaya nib is the logo stamped on it.
    Absolutely true. Which is why my Nakaya nib, originally housed in the Nakaya briarwood body that they share with Platinum, is now housed in a Plat 3776 pen. Fabulous nib in a pen body that makes certain the nib never dries out. This is a writer for the ages.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,305 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Absolutely true. Which is why my Nakaya nib, originally housed in the Nakaya briarwood body that they share with Platinum, is now housed in a Plat 3776 pen. Fabulous nib in a pen body that makes certain the nib never dries out. This is a writer for the ages.
    I agree. I got mine on the evilbay for $75 or so. It's the pen I leave on the desk at work for jotting down notes, because you never discover the ink in the cartridge is gone because it evaporated.