Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dilly by Fountain Pen Revolution

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Default The Dilly by Fountain Pen Revolution

IMG_20130321_151744_337.jpgIMG_20130321_151808_288.jpg

I couldn't resist purchasing this new pen from Fountain Pen Revolution because it seemed like a great opportunity to acquire a neat looking pen and try out the flex nibs they offer that I'd read so much about. For $18.00 nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Really, someone (me?) should put together a little article about all the incredible pens that have become available lately under $25.00. Add this to the Pilot Metropolitan, Nemosene Singularity and others and it begins to be really difficult to justify spending much more. Unlike the Singularity and more like the Metropolitan, this pen does not at all feel cheap in the hand. Rather, it sports a very nice feeling plastic that could be almost mistaken for a more expensive resin, very nicely shaped with an impressive clip. It is a twist off cap and, more to the point, a piston filler and a perfectly good one at that. The section is a bit indented and I have lately found that that makes a big difference for me in comfort for long writing sessions. I was first struck by it on my Edison Beaumont, again on the new Twisbi 580 and the Dilli follows that trend. The nib looks a bit small for the pen, but while I have a long way to go at controlling a flex pen consistently I'm having a very good time trying.

IMG_20130321_153817_968.jpg

And the best part is that Kevin of FPR enclosed a complimentary Serwex pen to boot!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

Torben (October 22nd, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Default Re: The Dilly by Fountain Pen Revolution

I'll be excited to pick up a couple of these soon...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

I got mine yesterday with the stub nib.

Only wrote a little with it but it posts good and writes pretty darn smoothly.

And at $20 shipped you can't go wrong

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I amy have to look into this one but maybe latter.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Hmmmm.interesting to hear it works! Great job to the people who made it happen!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

My only thing with it was that the grip section was or is narrow. I have big hands.... so my fingers were getting sqeezed together I and had to pull my thumb back a little so it was actually resting on the threads to hold it.
    I had some flex nibs from FPR from a while back. I got some extras with the MB I bought from them. So I swapped out the stub for the flex to see how the feed would keep up and it was magic. I also changed my grip. I moved up to just above the threads and everything came together. It is not awkward at all. Maybe the first couple of words but them it just worked.

I found the stub was great but sharp. I cut my paper doing some lines. Like going up from left to right at about a 45 degree angle I have to lighten my stroke or it would grab.

Anywho ... jusr dropping in a couple of thoughts... $20 shipped... PLUS he tossed in a Serwex too ... how can you go wrong!!!

Thanks

I think it's a great pen for the price. I also got a stub and it is a little scratchy, but I'm getting quite good at nib smoothing and will give it a go. The section is narrow, but I tend to hold it a little higher, anyway.

I really like the piston action. It was really easy to fill. And there aren't that many factory fine stubs around, that I'm aware of.

For those of you who go the flex option, I've been using a FPR flex nib in a Serwex pen now for six months and it has softened up considerably. It gets nicer to write with every day (but I don't write by flexing it, its just a soft nib to use).

And the freebie pen was fun too.
    ... Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working [Pablo Picasso] ...

Thanks

I was curious about these pens... Now my curiosity is even more intense. I suppose one of these will be showing up at my doorstep sometime soon. Thanks. Yet another "brown box" to explain to the wife.
    Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. One looks over and says, "Windy, isn't it?" Another says, "I thought it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go grab a beer!"

Thanks

I purchased a few when they were released. The parcel arrived in short order. One did not make the trip well but was quickly replaced by Kevin. If you have not done business with Kevin, you are missing out. Anyway, my experience is that the medium nibs perform well. The feed delivers plenty of ink and the nib is smooth. The flex tended to be afflicted by dry starts so its next fill will be with a wetter ink. All in all, quite a nice little pen for the money.

Thanks

IMG_0114.jpgIMG_0118.jpgIMG_0119.jpg

The Dilli next to the Noodlers Creaper, for me the choice is clear the FPR pen is the way to go!
    Last edited by magnesium68; April 13th, 2013 at 08:41 AM.

jor412

Quote Originally Posted by magnesium68 View Post
    IMG_0114.jpgIMG_0118.jpgIMG_0119.jpg

The Dilli next to the Noodlers Creaper, for me the choice is clear the FPR pen is the way to go!
    I was just about to ask how the pens compare to Noodler's pens. From what I've read here and there, Noodler's pen parts are sourced from various parts of the world, including India. But when I look at pics on FPR, I see that the piston mechanism of some Indian pens is quite similar (or may be the same as) Noodler's pens. My question is this: does the plastic of the Dilly feel more solid than the Creaper?

Thanks

Yes , the plastic feel better and also the grip is nice because of the shoulder.The Creaper is a Chelpark maverick pen with a different nib http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com...9ffc_01_06.jpg

jor412

Thanks for the info. The Konrad (not the ebonite version) and Ahab seem to have sturdier plastic than the Creaper but I'm probably wrong since they all seem to share the same or similar colors. I'll now be looking at the Dilly.

Thanks

The creaper I bought didn't feel any more or less sturdy than my Ahab... Speaking of which, while the Ahab doesn't seem to be a particular model sold by FPR, the clip is definitely there on a few of them, as well as the shape of the end of the barrel...

Come to think of it, if my creaper breaks, I can get replacement parts from Kevin for less money than buying a new pen from Noodler's. Unless I really want the colour...
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

The Ahab seem to be an hybrid between the Camlin SD and the Camlin 4R.

Thanks

I have a medium Dilli and really enjoy it. The nib sometimes feels a bit scratchy; I have tried the grocery bag routine but it hasn't changed. This occurs on a variety of papers. The size makes it a great shirt pocket pen.

Has anybody else had scratchy issues?? Have you solved them??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadden View Post
    I have a medium Dilli and really enjoy it. The nib sometimes feels a bit scratchy; I have tried the grocery bag routine but it hasn't changed. This occurs on a variety of papers. The size makes it a great shirt pocket pen.

Has anybody else had scratchy issues?? Have you solved them??
    Not specifically with the Dilly but I have a Serwex MB with a flex nib that looks to be the same one used in the Dilly. It was a little scratchy but I smoothed it down with some buff sticks.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I received the blue flex one in the mail recently and my only issue is that it seems to run through ink faster than I'd like. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? I haven't used my Ahab in a while so it could be that I'm just not remembering how quickly it goes through ink, but I thought it would last longer than it did.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by caribbean_skye View Post
    I received the blue flex one in the mail recently and my only issue is that it seems to run through ink faster than I'd like. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? I haven't used my Ahab in a while so it could be that I'm just not remembering how quickly it goes through ink, but I thought it would last longer than it did.
    Asolutely. It runs through ink faster than any pen I've ever used.

Thanks

I kept trying to see how much ink was in there but the blue wasn't transparent enough for that.