Thread: Lamy Al-Star Matte Black 2013 Limited Edition

Thanks

Default Lamy Al-Star Matte Black 2013 Limited Edition

Ok, this is another one I posted on my blog today. There's tons of pictures over there if you want to see the whole thing (also, some of the formating gets lost here in the forum): http://penpaperinkletter.com/lamy-al...-2013-edition/

Attachment 6221

If you are new to fountain pens you might not know all the issues surrounding the Lamy name. It seems to be a company, and in-particular this model pen, that attracts the love it or hate it attitude. Much in the same way people look at Noodler’s ink company these pens are seen as a break from tradition. Don’t get me wrong, Lamy isn’t a new company but a lot of their designs have been called futuristic. Mostly I think they could be called modern industrial design.

This pen is the 2013 limited edition Matte Black version of the Lamy Al-Star which is essentially the metal counterpart to the ever popular Lamy Safari. These two models, and the Vista demonstrator, all have a notched section that puts your fingers in a particular alignment with the nib when holding the pen. This may be the biggest issue people have with the pen but it is also what helps it stand apart from so many others. My first fountain pen was a Lamy Safari Charcoal and having never used a fountain pen I found the notches quite helpful. I didn’t have the issues of holding it wrong and scratching the paper that you can have learning with a round section. As I have continued to use these pens I have not tired of the notches but I have also become equally as comfortable with the round sections. For anyone with experience in fountain pens this then just comes down to personal preference.

The look

The Al-Star is defined by four major design aspects in my opinion. The section we just talked about, the unique clip, the ink portal window and the flat/round body portion.

The Section

It has a translucent plastic notched section that is comfortable to hold and quite helpful in maintaining a proper grip.
    The Clip

It’s usually described as paperclip-esque in shape. It is a bold rounded wire clip that has enough flex to be useful but is quite firm.
    The Ink Portal Window

I love this feature of the pen. You can see the ink amount even without taking off the cap and it adds to the unique design. That being said it is often this design feature which gets mocked for making the pen look a bit like a pregnancy test.

The Body

There is nothing magical here but the fact that it is not round makes it unique enough in the fountain pen world. Imagine a round barrel that was put into a toaster so that the two sides touching the elements are now melted flat but the top and bottom are still round.
    And the body is also the portion that contains the sole branding on this pen. Lamy is etched into the barrel at the end away from the nib. It is also worth mentioning that the logo, although looking quite similar to the one on the Safari, is not done the same way. On the Safari the entire Lamy name is recessed into the body but on the Al-Star only the outline of Lamy is etched in. I assume this is due the the fact that it is metal and the plastic Safari is molded which makes the indentation easier to accomplish.
    Function
    This pen is a workhorse. It’s simple but well thought out design leaves few areas to fail and the flexibility of easily changing nibs means that even a catastrophic nib failure can be repaired but even the most novice user.

The Nibs

Choices – There are technically 12 choices that I am aware of.
    In Silver and labeled on each nib:
    EF – Extra Fine
    F – Fine
    M – Medium
    B – Broad
    1.1 – Italic 1.1mm
    1.5 - Italic 1.5mm
    1.9 - Italic 1.9mm
    LH – Left handed nib (slightly tuned to help with left handed handwriting action)
    In Black and labled on each nib:
    EF – Extra Fine
    F – Fine
    M – Medium
    B – Broad
    I have almost all of them but the best place I know of to see the differences in the nibs would be the Goulet Pen Company’s Nib Nook. It’s a bit aggravating that they don’t make the italic nibs in black but it’s not the end of the world.

The Converter

The Al-Star, Safari, Vista and a few others use one of two proprietary Lamy converters. To most people this will likely be a hassle. They cost a bit more, they only work in one brand pen, and not all pens from Lamy, and they only offer a twist convertor. All that being said I am actually a fan of the design for the most part.

The Nubs

On opposite sides of the converter there are two nubs that stick up a bit that seat nicely into a slot on the Al-Star’s section. It lets you have some assurance that the converter won’t dislodge in your bag or pocket, places this pen does well because of it’s robust design.
    The Mechanism

This is a simple twist convertor but there is one part that might be a bit different. The part you hold to twist is similar in shape to the body of the pen. It looks quite nice but it does make spinning the knob to clean the pen a bit more of a chore.

Price (difference in the Safari and Al-Star)

I was tempted to have an entire section on “the cost” explaining why it was worth it to move up from the Safari but I don’t want to preach to hard if this is a place of contention. I imagine the Safari is the top end of the fountain pen range for many that found the hobby through Pilot’s Varsity and the Platinum Preppy. They’ll try a handful of pens under $20 before ending up splurging one day on a Safari and then they’ll be content. For those that are not ever going to be collectors I applaud that restraint and contentment. For those that are going to be carrying only one pen and want to last a bit longer or have many pens and are looking for a robust pen to fill that niche I say it’s worth the extra. Well, I guess I wrote a section on price, what can you do?

In Conclusion

I love this pen. It’s not for everyone as some will have issue with the grip and others will simply not fancy the design but it is for a lot of people. It seems that a lot of people that have been drawn to the design from the cheaper Safari do eventually make the leap but if you are one of those who hasn’t yet let me encourage you to take the plunge. It’s not a revolutionary step forward but the simple step from plastic to metal gives a bit more piece of mind when you are carrying it away from your velvet pen case.

This has probably been my most detailed review to date but I still feel I am leaving things out. I do plan to cover the Lamy Safari in a separate review in the future and may just say what ever else I could have said there as so much overlaps.

Attachment 6222

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to heath For This Useful Post:

AndyT (October 19th, 2013), cjr29 (January 3rd, 2014), earthdawn (October 20th, 2013), Jeph (October 18th, 2013), kaisnowbird (October 18th, 2013), KrazyIvan (October 18th, 2013), Sailor Kenshin (October 19th, 2013), TMac (October 19th, 2013), velo (October 19th, 2013)

Thanks

Default Re: Lamy Al-Star Matte Black 2013 Limited Edition

Thank you for the review. The additional pics at your blog certainly made it even more enjoyable. We just love looking at these pictures, even when my exact same pen is only a meter away.

I would agree with one of the comments left at your blog though - I have this pen too and I feel the black coating on this pen is on the fragile side. The metal body, being aluminium (as opposed to brass) makes it feel 'softer' and more easily dent. I would throw my non-LE Safari around, but would keep this one in a pen case for protection.

Also, the black coating on the nib is prone to wearing too. The very tip of my EF nib is silver now.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post
    Thank you for the review. The additional pics at your blog certainly made it even more enjoyable. We just love looking at these pictures, even when my exact same pen is only a meter away.

I would agree with one of the comments left at your blog though - I have this pen too and I feel the black coating on this pen is on the fragile side. The metal body, being aluminium (as opposed to brass) makes it feel 'softer' and more easily dent. I would throw my non-LE Safari around, but would keep this one in a pen case for protection.

Also, the black coating on the nib is prone to wearing too. The very tip of my EF nib is silver now.
    I replied to that comment and am reposting it here:

I guess I do agree with your point in the way you pose it but for me being more robust isn't a cosmetic value. If I have a pen that last ten years and looks great but then snaps that is less robust in my book than one that last fifty years and looks like it's been through war.

I have friends that have had then much longer than I have and the plastic on the clips are almost gone and they are dented and scratched up for sure. That being said, very few people would have said that the iPhone when it first came out in a metal body was less robust than any of its plastic counterparts but after several years it would likely have looked worse.

I hope I am coming across as trying to explain my position and opinion rather than trying to discredit yours.

I concede that a Safari will likely hold up better until the point of failure but I still hold that the Al-Star will last longer.

From a pure price point of view though if an Al-Star is a pen you bought as a "nice pen" then I'd probably keep it in the case as well.

Thanks

heath - thoroughly enjoyed your review - thanks much!

I "need" another Lamy like a hole in the head - but you ARE tempting me...

Thanks

Nice review and pics. The aluminium Al-Star was the first fountain pen I bought for myself. I still have it and also own a Ruby Red version. Sometimes I wish the section was made of matching metal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    I replied to that comment and am reposting it here:

I guess I do agree with your point in the way you pose it but for me being more robust isn't a cosmetic value. If I have a pen that last ten years and looks great but then snaps that is less robust in my book than one that last fifty years and looks like it's been through war.

I have friends that have had then much longer than I have and the plastic on the clips are almost gone and they are dented and scratched up for sure. That being said, very few people would have said that the iPhone when it first came out in a metal body was less robust than any of its plastic counterparts but after several years it would likely have looked worse.

I hope I am coming across as trying to explain my position and opinion rather than trying to discredit yours.

I concede that a Safari will likely hold up better until the point of failure but I still hold that the Al-Star will last longer.

From a pure price point of view though if an Al-Star is a pen you bought as a "nice pen" then I'd probably keep it in the case as well.
    Point taken and agree. Al-Star is tenderer on the outside and more enduring underneath.

In reality, probably both my Safari and Al-Star will outlast me - I do take good care of my pens irrespective of their monetary values. Though I do not necessarily think Al-Star is a particularly "nice pen", it is full stealth and a LE, as such a real keeper.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

Great review. Very thorough. I thought I was done buying Safaris and Al Stars. Maybe not!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    Nice review and pics. The aluminium Al-Star was the first fountain pen I bought for myself. I still have it and also own a Ruby Red version. Sometimes I wish the section was made of matching metal.
    Thanks!

I too have thought about the section and have gone back and forth. On this exact model though it easily shows oil and finger marks on the matte black so I think I prefer the plastic.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Great reivew! I'm pretty sure I grabbed one of these the moment I spotted it...and remember being disappointed because there were no italic nibs in black. Hmm, did I get it with a black B nib? Probably. It's now resting comfortably with my matte Charcoal Safari.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD