Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWSBI 580

Thanks

Default Re: TWSBI 580

Quote Originally Posted by UK Mike View Post
    At the risk of derailing the love for TWSBI, I purchased a 580 not long after they were released in spite of not liking demonstrator pens. There is no doubt it has become a cult pen - I doubt there are many being used outside the world of the "Pen Geek."

The pen I got was a medium nib and a poor writer with many hard start events and frequent skips. Thanks to TWSBI's superb customer service, I was sent a replacement nib and feed - the new feed is much better but the nib is not as good. It is wet enough but not my favourite pen by any means.
    I don't need a large ink capacity because I change colours quite frequently and the nib is a standard German JoWo which along with Schmidt and Bock equip the majority of low to medium price European pens - so its ok but nothing special.

The TWSBI is very nicely packaged but I have a feeling you are buying a £35 pen with £15 worth of packaging.

Everyone's opinion will vary but for me the heart of the pen is the nib rather the filling mechanism, so for me the 580 is an ok pen but nothing special. As a writing instrument, in the same price range I prefer the feel of my Monteverde Prima which takes a converter, has none of the TWSBI gadgets, but has a delicious vintage feel and a very smooth nib.

This is just my take - I realise many people love the features of their TWSBIs but I don't feel the pens are exceptionally good, just good.
    I also agree with you. I do have the mini (ef) the 540 (f) and the vac 700 and I love the mini, the others aren'ty favourites the 580 with the 1.5 is dry and hard to start. It's smooth but the ink can't keep up. Shame. Also like you, I don't need a massive ink capacity to my poor Twsbis lie unused. I should contact twsbi about my dry nib though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to woosang For This Useful Post:

UK Mike (May 6th, 2013)

Thanks

Received my Twsbi 580 today m nib - more like a m +1/2 - had an everlast 14kt on a dip pen, so I tried it nice fine line with an added bonus - line variation or the gold nib is a little flexie.

Don't know whether I should just use the everlast or purchase another nib unit?
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwent2 For This Useful Post:

CapeClear (May 14th, 2013), thagbert (May 13th, 2013)

Thanks

I guess there are several parts to it:

1. The customer service.
    2. The FP community gets a big say in the design of new products - it becomes like your baby, if you follow it enough.
    3. Piston filler at that price point. Same goes for the Vac.
    4. Demonstrator pen. (Love hate sort of thing).
    5. Being able to completely take it apart to clean, etc. Some people, like me, love taking things apart just to see how it all fits together.
    6. The hope that next time maybe I'll get lucky, and it will work perfectly out of the box - all 4 of mine have, at least.
    7. Innovation - TWSBI has been willing to take on projects that not many other companies have been willing to. Eg. Low price point piston filler, Vac filler, Micarta as a material for FPs.

I guess I have been lucky in general, and have also bought enough pens that don't work well straight out of the box that I've learned how to adjust my own nibs etc. So far only one pen has managed to defy all my attempts to get it working perfectly - a Parker Sonnet that just won't stop skipping a little.

And yes, I am a big fan of TWSBI, so I may or may not be a little (or very) biased.

Thanks

I kinda fancy a mini with the 1.1mm stub but I see there's gonna be a Vac mini so I'm half looking out for that. The customer service sounds grand and all but the talk of that kind of eclipses the pens themselves sometimes imho. It definitely makes me think twice about purchasing a TWSBI. I don't really want to have to engage with the manufacturer after purchase, I just want whatever I buy to work. Maybe the magic is lost on me though

Thanks

I got the broad nib for my 580. Not feeling the love. I think I might go to the 1.1 Stub like I have on my Mini. I love that nib!

Anyone wish to share their experiences with current TWSBI nibs?
    --------------------------------
    I am but a simple caveman.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Sorry to hear you're not happy. I love my 580 Broad.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Proposed color for TWSBI Diamond 580TWSBI 580 Color.jpg
    From TWSBI Facebook page.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thagbert For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (May 30th, 2013)

Thanks

If you are a UT fan that color might excite you. It looks like a burnt orange. Anybody know the Pantone color number for UT burnt orange?

Update:
    UT Burnt Orange is Pantone 159c. The TWSBI color is Pantone 1585c. They are next to each other on the Pantone color chart.

Sorry, not everybody is from Texas! UT = University of Texas. It's in Austin, Texas. 50,000 students.
    Last edited by thagbert; May 31st, 2013 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks

I have used my TWSBI 580 with EF nib now for 3 days at work. I am very happy. My Sheaffer Prelude M was a little too wide so I decided to try the EF on the TWSBI. I am very happy with the results. The nib is very smooth and actually provides a little flex and I have had no flow problems with Diamine Denim. I inspected the nib under magnification and saw (and more importantly felt) nothing to change. When I write with my normal pressure, the line is a crisp .5 mm about exactly what I want. When I write "properly," the line is more like .35 mm (more than 3 and less than 4) and slightly dry. When I apply a little pressure the line is about .7 mm or the same width as my Prelude M. I am not particularly fond of demonstrators but I do like this pen. The grip is comfortable for the way that I write and the pen does not feel heavy, it just feels like it is there. I use it unposted.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeph For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (July 3rd, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeph View Post
    I have used my TWSBI 580 with EF nib now for 3 days at work. I am very happy. My Sheaffer Prelude M was a little too wide so I decided to try the EF on the TWSBI. I am very happy with the results. The nib is very smooth and actually provides a little flex and I have had no flow problems with Diamine Denim. I inspected the nib under magnification and saw (and more importantly felt) nothing to change. When I write with my normal pressure, the line is a crisp .5 mm about exactly what I want. When I write "properly," the line is more like .35 mm (more than 3 and less than 4) and slightly dry. When I apply a little pressure the line is about .7 mm or the same width as my Prelude M. I am not particularly fond of demonstrators but I do like this pen. The grip is comfortable for the way that I write and the pen does not feel heavy, it just feels like it is there. I use it unposted.
    Yeah, you're not supposed to post the 580. Otherwise it would be monstrous. Nor is it designed to be posted.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I wonder if all the cracked caps come from people posting the cap.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Maybe, I adore my 540, it lives in the loop of my Midori notebook and has never had a single issue with cracking. But then I never post caps... Hmm.

I'm not a fan of that color, despite living in Austin for five years. But I like TWSBIs partly for their totally clear bodies, so I'm probably not the person to ask!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Well I just broke my Lamy Vista and have come to realise that I want at least one demonstrator in my small collection.

So an order for the TWSBI 580 1.1 stub has gone through. Come on international post!
    Last edited by velo; July 22nd, 2013 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

You won't regret it. Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    Well I just broke my Lamy Vista and have come to realise that I want at least one demonstrator in my small collection.

So an order for the TWSBI 580 1.1 stub has gone through. Come on international post!
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post

I love the TWSBI 1.1 stub nib.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

It's my first stub nib so hopefully it writes a little easier than my Lamy italics. Actually it's my first piston filler as well.

Fun times ahead.

Thanks

So far on my 540, I've had the cap threads crack, the piston-end of the barrel crack, and I had the threaded end of my nib unit shear off. That said, TWSBI was very good to me on the customer service front and posted replacement parts very quickly. The pen itself is one of the easiest pens to disassemble, repair, tweak, clean, etc. I have no complaints whatsoever and despite some growing pains, I think the company is doing pretty well.
    And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow, Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings; There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow, And evening full of the linnet's wings. ~~Yates

Thanks

I have now had a chance to try my 580 with the 1.5 nib and confirm what others have said. The feed cannot keep up with that massive nib. When it does write it is very nice, but even writing slowly letters that start with an upstroke you can forget about. It is a beautiful, smooth line when it writes though. I may work on the nib some but I am pretty sure that is not the problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    It is a good way to crack the cap threads.
    The 580 cap is meant not to post?

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw52 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    It is a good way to crack the cap threads.
    The 580 cap is meant not to post?
    Correct, do not post the 580

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeph For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (July 25th, 2013)