Thread: Wet noodle?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Wet noodle?

A certain gentleman sells what appears to be an almost endless supply of needlepoint wet noodles. My question is this: does this gentleman actually have some kind of stock access that is not available to just about everyone else in the pen hobby, or does this gentleman doctor the nibs he has to make them into wet noodles even if they were never made to be that way?

When I hear from sellers of vintage flexible nibs how hard it is to source them, it seems somewhat suspicious that one guy has no difficulty in posting sales for such nibs more or less day after day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Burntsiennna (January 28th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: Wet noodle?

I think the phrase has just been thrown around too much as a marketing tactic, so it's lost much of its original meaning. I once bought a "wet noodle" silver-filled Wahl vest pen from Greg Minuskin, and while it was a nice pen and good writer, I'd be hard-pressed to describe it as anything other than semi-flex. Peyton Street Pens, in my experience, tends to be quite conservative in estimating flexibility. If Teri describes a pen as full flex, I'm willing to bet that it truly is.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 28th, 2017)

Thanks

90 views and only one reply. I get the feeling that perhaps I've just turned the spotlight on the elephant in the room with my question.

Thanks

So, who is this so-called 'gentleman'?

Thanks

Default Wet noodle?

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    90 views and only one reply. I get the feeling that perhaps I've just turned the spotlight on the elephant in the room with my question.
    I think it's a good question, but I am in no position to comment. I also don't know who this is.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    So, who is this so-called 'gentleman'?
    Yep, I'm curious to know where is this endless supply of flexible nibs too.
    I collect vintage flex nibs and I restore pens also. But it took me a lot of effort in research, asking around, plus time, and money get a hold of some good ones.
    Even on ebay, the prices are getting higher and apparently there are a lot of people who are willing to pay a lot for a listing with bad photos.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

I'm not entirely sure I should name them outright, but it doesn't take much digging to find such a person.

Thanks

There are possible explanations other than the two proposed in the second sentence of the OP.

Thanks

I don't think there is an elephant in the room, one would simply use one's common sense and do research before purchasing.

As it is extremely unlikely someone has a supply of wet noodles that no-one else has access to, then either they are able to change nibs into wet noodles; the nib conforms to their impression of what a wet noodle is; or, (as rpsyed said) they might be over using the term to some degree as is quite common.

If they supply a writing sample then that would help a prospective purchaser decide if the nib is their idea of a wet noodle, full flex, semi-flex or whatever.

The difficulty of grading nibs is highlighted in several places on the web: one example from WillowStrong pens (no affiliation) https://willowstrongpens.com/grading-flex-nibs/

One (wo)mans wet noodle may be another's semi-flex
    Last edited by kevmid; January 28th, 2017 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks

A writing sample tells very little beyond how much ink is coming through the nib and how much variation there is in the written line. The width of line is not an indication of the noodle-like nature of a nib. In this respect only a video of the nib being used can hope to show how soft a nib really is, and even then you have to watch really carefully to discern just how much pressure is being exerted by the demonstrator.

Find a typical bookmark made of card. Hold it in the middle. Place one end on the surface of the desk and draw it toward your body. The card will flex like a paintbrush but with just a hint of elastic resistance. That's a wet noodle in my book.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,655 Times in 1,132 Posts

Not sure I have a 'typical' book mark. Do we have to get into grading card stock now? If so, don't forget to account for the soggifying effect of humidity.

Re the nameless seller - are you more concerned about his integrity or that of nibs that may have been modified? If the price is right and there is a returns policy, does it matter?

Thanks

Picky. A standard business card is about the same. I'm sure you already know precisely what I am talking about though.

As for the seller, well I didn't want to derail the question by heading off into the rights and wrongs of naming, or the side-taking that my ensue.

Thanks

Picky. A standard business card is about the same. I'm sure you already know precisely what I am talking about though.

As for the seller, well I didn't want to derail the question by heading off into the rights and wrongs of naming, or the side-taking that my ensue.
    One person's picky is another's precise, which is kind of the point. Is it useful to describe one loosely defined variable by reference to another? Even for the same weight in gsm, the bulk (thin and dense or thick and 'airy'), surface treatment (texture, lamination, etc.), and whether the card is cut along or across the grain will make a difference to its flex, as will physical dimensions.

But returning to the original question, and leaving aside the nameless seller, if the price is right and there is a returns policy, isn't it a good thing if such nibs are available to users? Or have I blindly got hold of the wrong bit of the elephant?

Thanks

From what I've read about this particular seller returns are not at all welcome (even if they are entertained) and the buyer may be made painfully aware of this.

As for precision, if you must, try the paper cover of a Rhodia A5 pad. Hold about an inch from the edge. Brush the edge across a surface (desk, whatever). That's what I feel a wet noodle should be like in general feel.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

I try to be careful about applying the term 'wet-noodle.'

The number of nibs that I consider wet-noodle that I've tried can be counted with the fingers of one hand. Even in the rare occasion that I found one, I always bring it to someone who has been collecting flex vintage nibs way longer than I have -- here locally at the pen club. Only when he agrees that the nib is a wet-noodle, then I can with clear conscience having done my due diligence, apply the term. His and mine may not be the same exact standard, but close enough.

So to find a seller that constantly sell wet-noodle nibs, if his (gentleman, right?) standard is the same as mine or close, that would be amazing indeed.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

From what I've read about this particular seller returns are not at all welcome (even if they are entertained) and the buyer may be made painfully aware of this.
    Yup, buying online is a shot in the dark. Unlikely I'll encounter that seller, whoever it is, since I don't chase wet noodles and am happy if I get something functional and aesthetically pleasing - maybe with an al dente nib.

As for precision, if you must, try the paper cover of a Rhodia A5 pad. Hold about an inch from the edge. Brush the edge across a surface (desk, whatever). That's what I feel a wet noodle should be like in general feel.
    Not a size I own (not fond of the binding style) but will surreptitiously do as prescribed if I encounter one in store. Have you tried communicating your standard to the seller? If he doesn't agree with it, he may not have the nibs you seek.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Thanks

I think I know who now.