Thread: Can't Decide The Colour of Lamy Safari

Thanks

Default Can't Decide The Colour of Lamy Safari

Hi everyone,

I decided to buy Lamy Safari and this will be my first fountain pen at all. However I cannot decide the color for 3 days..

The first option is Lamy Vista - The excited point is that each time I change the ink it will take different forms. However I am not sure about is it seems cheapy?

The second option is Lamy Safari Umbra

The third option is your suggested colour as a first pen.

I know it is very subjective topic but I want to earn your thoughts on these options.

By the way I am university student. My area is economics, maybe this helps.

Bests.

Thanks

Default Re: Can't Decide The Colour of Lamy Safari

The Lamy Safari (and Vista by the way) are very resistant pens and will resist being tossed in a backpack. I'd buy the vista first (I actually did it. It was my first Lamy a couple of years ago). It's a really cool pen and it also looks nice in person. The coal safari looks great too, but having both I'd still buy the vista first. Despite this being my personal opinion, you can't go wrong with any of them.

My additional advices: be sure to get a converter with your pen and buy a fine or extra fine nib if you plan to use it with ordinary paper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ppmiranda View Post
    The Lamy Safari (and Vista by the way) are very resistant pens and will resist being tossed in a backpack. I'd buy the vista first (I actually did it. It was my first Lamy a couple of years ago). It's a really cool pen and it also looks nice in person. The coal safari looks great too, but having both I'd still buy the vista first. Despite this being my personal opinion, you can't go wrong with any of them.

My additional advices: be sure to get a converter with your pen and buy a fine or extra fine nib if you plan to use it with ordinary paper.
    Thank you for explaining your thoughts. I will buy with converter and EF nib. Do I need one more extra?

If everybody explains their reasons as Ppmiranda did I will be so happy!

Thanks

I also recommend the Vista. It feels solid, performs well, and I like being able to see the ink. My second choice recommendation would be one of gloss-finish Safari's, I slightly prefer how they feel over the matte finishes such as Umbra.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Do I need one more extra?
    Of course you do! Your Vista or Safari will come with some ink cartridges, Lamy blue unless you buy one of the "special edition" models. This is a perfectly good everyday blue ink, but my advice is to start enjoying other ink colours sooner rather than later. You're going to buy a convertor anyway, so why not buy a small bottle or two of reasonably priced ink? Diamine 30ml bottles are great, check out the ink reviews here and see which colours take your fancy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by datainadequate View Post
    I also recommend the Vista. It feels solid, performs well, and I like being able to see the ink. My second choice recommendation would be one of gloss-finish Safari's, I slightly prefer how they feel over the matte finishes such as Umbra.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Do I need one more extra?
    Of course you do! Your Vista or Safari will come with some ink cartridges, Lamy blue unless you buy one of the "special edition" models. This is a perfectly good everyday blue ink, but my advice is to start enjoying other ink colours sooner rather than later. You're going to buy a convertor anyway, so why not buy a small bottle or two of reasonably priced ink? Diamine 30ml bottles are great, check out the ink reviews here and see which colours take your fancy!
    Thanks.

When I say "Do I need one more extra", I mean one more EF or F nib. I will buy converter and Diamine Inks, actually I choose the inks colours which are Teal and Red Dragon. But still can't decide about the Safari's colour.

Thanks

I'd use the nib you choose. Look for another nib only you for some reason don't like it or if you'd like to try an italic nib (they are not for everyday writing, but very fun to play with) and don't want to spend money on another pen right away.

Thanks

If you're even a little bit fussy about things not looking pristine, you might want to avoid the Vista. Clear pens, by their nature, will show the ink when you want them to, and also sometimes when you don't. Personally while I like both, I find I fractionally prefer the matte finish of the Umbra, not to mention the black clip and nib (although I forced mine to give up its clip for the betterment of Lamykind. i.e. The Al Star Copper Orange. ) And you don't need to budget for another nib; they don't wear away. Now if you want to budget for another size, that's different. Eventually most owners seem to end up with the 1.1 italic, so you might want to pencil that in at some stage!

Thanks

86 views, 4 answers.. Why don't you write?

Thanks

My choice when in your shoes was neither. I bought the AL Star, which is aluminum (hence the name ). The finish is anodized and is about $10 USD more expensive.
    But of your choices I would go the Safari route.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

I like the vista (I have one) but I would say spend the extra and get the Al-star.

Thanks

The crisis solved.. - I bought Lamy Safari White-

After looking many many photos, it seems that White is more classy. I do not buy the Umbra since I am planning to buy newcoming Lamy Safari Petrol.

Thanks..
    Last edited by Miriel; January 30th, 2017 at 09:37 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Miriel For This Useful Post:

datainadequate (January 30th, 2017)

Thanks

Wow what a nice white lamy..
    Expertus potest credere nisi vel inspirato damnare mundi plaga..

Thanks

Welcome and Congratulations on your new pen! Use it in Good Health.
    One thing I would add is that if you are looking for crisp line variation from the Lamy 1.1 mm nib - I personally, never found it.
    I think if you like bolder nibs then it would be worth the buy for at least that.