Thread: Fountain Pen Review: Kaweco ICE Sport Black

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

Default Fountain Pen Review: Kaweco ICE Sport Black

Kaweco ICE Sport Black FP Review

Source Kaweco sent me this pen in return for an honest review. The Smokey Grey ink cartridges were included in the box. I’ve been using this pen for over 3 months now, so I think I have given myself plenty of time to get to know it.

History (reproduced from the Kaweco web-site)

Kaweco - In 1883 the manufacturer of high-quality writing instruments was founded in Heidelberg Germany. Kaweco has been producing a wide range of fine writing pens and has been setting a great value on classy design and high standard manufacturing.

The first Kaweco Sport was founded in 1912 as a pocket fountain pen for ladies, officers and sportsmen. In 1930 the brands and models of Kaweco and Aurumia fused and the Ka We Co three part circle emerged. This circle is still used today on nearly all of it’s pens.

Even Sepp Herberger already appreciated these characteristics. It was with a Kaweco Sport that the former coach of the German national soccer team wrote on a piece of paper his winning tactics which brought the Germans to the world cup in 1954.

In 1993 H & M Gutberlet GmbH made it’s first prototypes for a relaunch of the Kaweco Sport under the name Trekking, but gained and registered the rights to rename as Kaweco in 1994.

The Kaweco Sport was newly produced as a cartridge holder in 1995, but the design remained the same as the 1935 model.

In 2000 the first Limited Sport edition was produced in green celluloid, and the AL Sport as well as the Art Sport were launched in 2003.

Kaweco's product range is perfectly described by the keywords "tradition" and “innovation"

Appearance and Design

The Kaweco ICE Sport starts off as a small and compact pen until you remove it’s octagonal shaped cap, and replace it on the end of the barrel to make a decent sized fountain pen in your hand. It's one of the very few fountain pens that I use with a posted cap.

The ICE Sport range differs from the Skyline and Classic range in having a transparent barrel. It has platinised accents like the Skyline Sport, and comes with a steel nib. I love the very attractive milled edge on the end of the barrel.

Kaweco ICE Black _0014.JPGKaweco ICE Black _0013.JPG

Kaweco supply a standard steel nib unit, with iridium tip, with this pen, that matches it’s Kaweco platinised plated metal cap emblem as well as the silver coloured ‘Kaweco Sport’ script on the barrel.

This pen has a black grip, a transparent barrel and a transparent black cap. You can buy this pen with or without a matching clip that costs extra. It comes in a standard sized Kaweco Sport cardboard box.

Kaweco ICE Black _0003.JPGKaweco ICE Black _0012.JPG

Construction and quality

Although this pen is made from plastic, it feels quite well made and fairly substantial in your hand and performs as well as many full sized pens. It’s lightweight, but doesn’t feel flimsy, and it has a nice size, well shaped grip. The cap is intended to be posted on the barrel for all Sport pens and the pen feels nicely balanced in your hand when the cap is posted on the barrel.

As always with Kaweco Sport pens, the cap and the barrel screw together very well for a close fit, on smoothly machined screw threads.

Kaweco ICE Black _0009.JPG

Weight and Dimensions[/B]

Weight: 10grams. Measurements: Closed; 105mm, Posted; 135mm, Nib; 17mm.

Nib and Performance

The steel nib units for this pen come as a complete front part section, as opposed to the screw in nib and feed units that Kaweco make for their metal Sport pens. So you can swap in any Kaweco ‘Front Part with nib’ into this pen. You can usually buy them from Kaweco stockists. They are available in nib sizes EF /F / M / B / BB. An octagonal clip in chrome to match can be purchased separately.

Unusually, I found this pen to be difficult to start and a dry writer when I first fitted the Smokey Grey cartridge. I had to remove the cartridge again, and clean out the pen before reinserting the cartridge and trying again. it performed much better after I had cleaned it out. Maybe there were some remains of machine oil that stopped the flow of ink before I cleaned it out. On my second attempt, I was impressed with the smoothness of the nib, that needed no tip adjustment at all. It gave me a smooth writing experience that rivalled that of some gold nibs in more expensive pens.

Kaweco cartridges_0005.JPG

There is no flex with these steel nibs, but I don’t really mind that. I don’t particularly buy fountain pens because I want a flexible nib.

Kaweco ICE Black _0006.JPGKaweco ICE Black _0007.JPG

Filling system and Maintenance

Kaweco sent me a couple of pens to review, and in with them are two packs of cartridges in two brand new colours. These are Sunrise Orange and Smokey Grey. I selected a Smokey Grey cartridge for the Black ICE Sport. The cartridges are standard International Short cartridge size.

If you’re looking for a pen with a sophisticated piston filling system, then you might be disappointed with this pocket-sized pen. Kaweco make two different converters that would fit this pen, the Kaweco Squeeze Converter “Sport” and the Kaweco Mini Converter. However, I only used the Smokey Grey cartridge with it for the purposes of this review. I find that both types of Sport converters generally contain less ink than a cartridge, but either one is useful if you want to use bottled ink.

It isn’t a difficult pen to clean out. I just used an ear bulb and pushed some lukewarm water through it to clean out the ink after I had used it. The ink was non staining and it is an attractive addition to the Kaweco range of ink colours for people who like grey inks. I’m not a great fan of grey inks, and found this one a little light for my usual tastes, but I had no performance issues with it.

Cost and Value

I found the Kaweco ICE Sport pen for sale at Hamilton Pen Company for £17.95 in the UK, but black wasn’t one of the colour options in stock. In the US they are available from JetPens for $25 and Pen Chalet for $27. Seitz-Kreuznach, Germany also sells Kaweco pens at reasonable prices via their web-site, Amazon or ebay

Overall Opinion

Kaweco Sport pens have a really good screw cap that prevents their cartridges from drying out, and I have always liked that in these pens. I also like the way they are compact pocket sized pens that extend into good size pens that are easy to write with.

I'm quite a fan of Kaweco Sport pens and have a small collection of them. So, all in all, I really like this pen and I would recommend it especially if you like ICE transparent pens so that you can see the ink colour through the barrel.

Writing sample: Kaweco Smokey Grey ink cartridge

Kaweco Smokey Grey 001.JPG

From the Kaweco web-site: Pocket fountain pen with steel nib and iridium tip for ink cartridges. Closed version has a length of only 10.5 cm and open version 13.5 cm. Available in the nib sizes EF / F / M / B / BB - with and without clip.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 31st, 2017 at 05:18 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

BillPorter (April 28th, 2017), datainadequate (January 31st, 2017), DaveT (February 2nd, 2017), DavidtheGnome (January 30th, 2017), inklord (April 27th, 2017), jacksterp (April 26th, 2017), KKay (February 2nd, 2017), ppmiranda (January 30th, 2017), roguez (February 2nd, 2017), writingrav (February 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: Fountain Pen Review: Kaweco ICE Sport Black

Thanks for your review- I too had hard start/skipping and writing dry issues with a new ice sport until I took it apart for a full cleaning. Did you notice better performance on less expensive papers? I've seen some recent reviews where the reviewer suggested that Kaweco's and also parkers are being intentionally polished to perform better on cheap paper since that is what many first time fountain pen/casual users will have access to.

Thanks

I had been interested in these pens as I see that many people own them and they seem to be reasonably priced.
    Thank you very much for the review!

Thanks

Chrissy, Thanks for the review. I like your style when you do these!
    Please visit my store

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin - Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Whitelines

Thanks

Late to the party, I know.

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate all your efforts with respect to this forum.

I have been on the fence trying to decide if I want to take a chance on one of these. Well, thanks to you I will.

Thanks again!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksterp For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 27th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I just bought one of the entirely clear demonstrator versions, and it writes very well with a blue ink cartridge. I just popped it in, and it was fine. Now, my mint Skyline is an entirely different story. So maybe I will try an entire cleaning like you did, and see if that doesn't straighten it out.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidtheGnome View Post
    Thanks for your review- I too had hard start/skipping and writing dry issues with a new ice sport until I took it apart for a full cleaning. Did you notice better performance on less expensive papers? I've seen some recent reviews where the reviewer suggested that Kaweco's and also parkers are being intentionally polished to perform better on cheap paper since that is what many first time fountain pen/casual users will have access to.
    You're welcome.
    I hadn't heard about Kaweco and Paker pens being intentionally polished to perform better on cheaper papers. That is an interesting concept. I will try out my Kaweco pens on cheap papers to see if it works.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roguez View Post
    I had been interested in these pens as I see that many people own them and they seem to be reasonably priced.
    Thank you very much for the review!
    You're welcome. As reasonably priced pens go, the Kaweco Sport is a good pen for the money. One of it's good features being that the cartridge doesn't dry out for ages and ages unlike some other economically price pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    Chrissy, Thanks for the review. I like your style when you do these!
    Aww thanks. You're welcome.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksterp View Post
    Late to the party, I know.

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate all your efforts with respect to this forum.

I have been on the fence trying to decide if I want to take a chance on one of these. Well, thanks to you I will.

Thanks again!
    You're welcome. I hope you like it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I just bought one of the entirely clear demonstrator versions, and it writes very well with a blue ink cartridge. I just popped it in, and it was fine. Now, my mint Skyline is an entirely different story. So maybe I will try an entire cleaning like you did, and see if that doesn't straighten it out.
    I've had exactly the same thing. Some of my Sports write straight off, and some need a good clean first.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

A very good review! Quite a few Kaweco Sports have passed through my hands and I do like them, especially with a fine nib. They're good pocket or purse pens.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    A very good review! Quite a few Kaweco Sports have passed through my hands and I do like them, especially with a fine nib. They're good pocket or purse pens.
    You're welcome