Thread: The Inoxcrom Caravel. The pen of controversy

Thanks

Default The Inoxcrom Caravel. The pen of controversy

I want to present you a very famous pen in Spain but not so much in the rest of the world. A fountain pen that was very controversial and that therefore it disappeared soon of the market. That controversy is what has made it legendary among Spanish collectors. The Inoxcrom Caravel

Technical features of the Caravel Inoxcrom

Positioned with the cap: 6,535433 inch (16.6. cm)
    Length with cap: 5,826772 inch (14.8 cm)
    Length without cap: 5,23622inch (13.3 cm)
    Maximum diameter in the cap: 0,590551 inch (1.5 cm)
    Diameter the barrel: 0,433071 inch (1.1 cm)
    Material: Black synthetic resin.
    Nib: Large size, # 6 steel in thickness F, M and B
    Dorados: Gold of 23.9 kilátes.
    Load: Universal cartridge (two short or one long) or converter.

In 1992 the Spanish brand Inoxcrom decided to take a step forward in its catalog of writing media of good quality and competitive prices to enter the select group of manufacturers of high range and for it created with great care a pen that should be its flagship , The Caravel. This pen was designed following the trail of the brand that luxury fountain pens par excellence at that time, Montblanc and especially its line Meisterstück , whose forms were fashionable . Coinciding with the 500th anniversary of the discovery of America, the firm chose the name of Caravel and a Spanish caravel is that adorned its nibs. It also accompanied the name 1920 , which refers as the booklet (see photograph) that accompanied the box of the pen, to the decade of maximum splendor of fountain pens, which also wanted to pay homage to this fountain pens.

The nib was redesigned, large, size 6 and compatible with those of German manufacturers like Jowo Bock. It was made in thickness F (Fine), M (Medium) and (Broad or thick) which was new for the mark that always made them in M.

The pen originally had a three-ring decoration, which then passed to two with the inscription
    INOXCROM - 1920 - INOXCROM - SPAIN

As for its operation this was by cartridge-converter, the latter being supplied by the Inoxcrom house.

An enemy appears and the pen disappears.

The pen was a revolution for Inoxcrom because it was a decided bet to enter the high range and changing the American inspiration of its previous models by a German inspiration that did not demerge in quality with a very attractive price. Everything seemed to be great but apparently and here comes the legend of the pen and the mystery, the Montblanc signature got in touch with Inoxcrom and threatened to denounce it for plagiarism. Plagiarism? The resemblance was undeniable, but fountain pens similar to the Meisterstück (form of pure, rings and black) there are several, for example the Sailor 1911 or Platinum 3776 and in fact, fountain pens with that design and there were long before the exit Line Meisterstück. The truth is that suddenly the Caravel appeared redesigned with only two rings and not three, which differentiated it even more from the Meisterstück, and today are more common with two rings than three. It seems that it was not enough and while the Sailor 1911 continues to be manufactured without problems (will it have less Montblanc power in Japan?) The Inoxcrom Caravel disappeared from the catalog.

A japanese Sailor 1911 very similar to the Caravel and to the Montblancs.

Platinum 3776

Was the disappearance of the Caravel something predicted? I do not think so. We have already said that a pen was designed decorated with a caravel specific for this pen; Well, a greater number of nibs was ordered than the number of fountain pens actually made, which is suspect. These "caravel" nibs were not wasted but were used in a few examples of mythical models such as Sirocco, Corinthian and even the most modest Wall Street. These models when they appear with the caravel nib instead of the Inoxcrom nib with the ball of the world that is its own model, have more value.

The sister, the Caravel II

Inoxcrom Caravel II

At the same time, a medium size model was popularly called Caravel II. This one had cap by pressure and a nib also decorated with caravel but of average size and without vent. In his ring also appeared the inscription

INOXCROM - 1920 - INOXCROM - SPAIN

The Caravel II was charged by universal cartridge-converter. He admitted two cartridges or only one long.

Both the Caravel I and the Caravel II could be accompanied by a Caravel pen or a pencil, being the same for both models.

Performance of the Caravel Inoxcrom

Both the Caravel I and the Caravel II have a magnificent mechanical performance, characteristic of a design and a careful construction. The international cartridge-converter system may not be as romantic as a piston, but it is the one that gives the least flaws and needs less maintenance.

Their steel nibs are really good. I have only tried the M and F and I attest that even the F slides in an invidious way. I do not doubt that B has to do the same or even better.

As for its material, the synthetic resin. It is a type of plastic of great resistance to the scratches. The copies of Caravel I know are usually very well preserved and the use marks disappear with just a rag.

Golds are practically pure gold and 6 microns thick, which is unusually large.

The Caravel II also has a great performance, although the cap is not screwed.

Price of a Inoxcrom Caravel

Originally the Caravel I, was sold in 1992 for about 10,000 pesetas (60 euros). In 2017 the second-hand specimens sold in specialized forums are usually for about 150 euros. As you can see, this fountain pen pen has not only retained its price in relation to inflation but has experienced a rise, as it is a very sought after piece by collectors.

The Caravel II is in 2017 around 65-70 euros. This pen is not as coveted as her older sister, but the fame of this influences in its good quote.

My opinion like collector

I love this pen, is not only a great pen but has a interesting history and is becoming a little legend betwen the spaniards collectors. I think that still have a good price for his quality.

All the pics except the japanese pen I did by myself. I use this pics in blogs and will be used by friends in his blogs.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to rizo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (February 2nd, 2017), carlos.q (February 1st, 2017), da vinci (February 7th, 2017), datainadequate (February 2nd, 2017), Deb (August 30th, 2022), Dreck (February 2nd, 2017), kevmid (February 2nd, 2017), KrazyIvan (February 1st, 2017), Lady Onogaro (February 1st, 2017), Marsilius (February 14th, 2017), penwash (February 2nd, 2017), ppmiranda (February 1st, 2017), Robert (February 1st, 2017), roguez (February 2nd, 2017), titrisol (February 2nd, 2017), Yazeh (August 29th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Default Re: The Inoxcrom Caravel. The pen of controversy

Thank you for educating us on this fascinating pen.

What intrigued me is the nib, I love the ship engraving, is the nib made by the same company?
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

rizo (February 5th, 2017)

Thanks

A nib with four numbers on it. Like... 3776 ... or 1911 ... or 4810... where have I seen this before?

Really an intriguing tale, and a very elegant pen.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

rizo (February 5th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Thank you for educating us on this fascinating pen.

What intrigued me is the nib, I love the ship engraving, is the nib made by the same company?
    Yes, the nib was made in Spain by Inoxcrom.

Now the company Inoxcrom is separated in two diferent brands: The Cooperative Inoxcrom (Inoxcrom.es), and the Inoxcrom International IXC (Inoxcrom.com) It is a pity but when the founder of the company, Manuel Vaqué died in 2003 the company went to the banckrupcy and the separation happened. Probably right now both Inoxcrom buy his nib in China or Germany, I am not sure, but until 2003 all the Inoxcrom nibs were made by the Company.

You can find more information about the caravel in this link http://plumahispana.blogspot.com.es/...aravel-ii.html The link is in spanish but here is the translation to english by Google https://translate.google.com/transla...tml&edit-text=
    Last edited by rizo; February 2nd, 2017 at 03:46 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rizo For This Useful Post:

penwash (February 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

Nice pen! I have seen an old ad by Inoxcrom here in Brazil. The pen was called "the freshman", and appears to be a type of student pen. The file name says the ad is from the 50's. I've been trying to find this pen to buy eversince, but could not.

aulas_caneta-tinteiro-inoxcrom-1954.jpg
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frmamede For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (February 14th, 2017), ppmiranda (February 4th, 2017), rizo (February 5th, 2017)

Thanks

"Improve your children's grades..." I wish it were that easy!

The ad says the nibs are flexible with "two grades", perhaps meaning finer/bolder nibs. I hope you find one, they sound interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frmamede View Post
    Nice pen! I have seen an old ad by Inoxcrom here in Brazil. The pen was called "the freshman", and appears to be a type of student pen. The file name says the ad is from the 50's. I've been trying to find this pen to buy eversince, but could not.

aulas_caneta-tinteiro-inoxcrom-1954.jpg
    Maybe we can find one, but I don´t know Inoxcrom The freshman. Do you have a pic of this pic? Tell me how it look like.

Thanks

Always a good pen.

Thanks

I'm rather disappointed in my (new) Inoxcrom Sirocca pen. Perhaps I just got a 'friday arvo dud', but I got it from a reputable dealer.
    It just gives an erratic flow after just an overnight rest. (My 1960's old Pelican would flow immediately after a month or more non-use).
    I'm using good Pelikan ink.
    The Inoxcrom IS a very handsome pen though... I was seduced!
    Perhaps I just need to use it a LOT more, but it doesn't seem right that a new mid-range priced pen should be like this.
    It might be possible to adjust the flow, as it does run rather dry at best. But it shouldn't be necessary with a brand new pen should it?

I'm probably remiss in my comments, as the thread is specifically about the Caravel... Anyway... The seller has generously offered to fix or replace my pen.
    Last edited by joolstacho; August 28th, 2022 at 09:29 PM. Reason: details

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joolstacho View Post
    I'm rather disappointed in my (new) Inoxcrom Sirocca pen. Perhaps I just got a 'friday arvo dud', but I got it from a reputable dealer.
    It just gives an erratic flow after just an overnight rest. (My 1960's old Pelican would flow immediately after a month or more non-use).
    I'm using good Pelikan ink.
    The Inoxcrom IS a very handsome pen though... I was seduced!
    Perhaps I just need to use it a LOT more, but it doesn't seem right that a new mid-range priced pen should be like this.
    It might be possible to adjust the flow, as it does run rather dry at best. But it shouldn't be necessary with a brand new pen should it?

I'm probably remiss in my comments, as the thread is specifically about the Caravel... Anyway... The seller has generously offered to fix or replace my pen.
    It's strange, really, you are the first person I know who has had problems with an Inoxcrom Sirocco. It is a very sturdy pen with a well proven cartridge system. It's hard for it to fail. I hope the seller replaced it for you with a regular one.