Thread: Why do formulas change?

Thanks

Default Why do formulas change?

Was eager with anticipation ordering "Nightshade" again. I went thru a whole bottle. It was business friendly - a darker brown with a pinch of red tinge. Loved the stuff. So I got a new bottle and opened it and it was closer to dark brown than anything else. Wouldn't even be classed in the same color as the last bottle. Darnnit. I don't even know what to add to it to fix this sutff. I don't know why some of the formulas change. Ever happen to you ?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Why do formulas change?

Mainly because it is a small company with lax quality control. Beyond the fact that Noodler's way overfills their bodies there is also the issue that there seems to be large batch to batch variations in any of their inks. I have never found two purchases of any of the Noodler's colors I've tried to really be the same.

Lots of folk love their inks. I stick to companies that have been doing it longer.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Woody (February 20th, 2017)

Thanks

Well as my kids says #fail - $20 bucks from Cnd. Lesson learned.

BUT - I just remembered that Ebony is the same in DA inks. Worth a try.
    Last edited by Woody; February 8th, 2017 at 08:02 AM.

Thanks

Could you contact the maker and see if they would exchange bottles? Show them a swab of what you got. I don't know if that will help, but it's worth a try.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KKay For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    Could you contact the maker and see if they would exchange bottles? Show them a swab of what you got. I don't know if that will help, but it's worth a try.
    Thanks Kay. Worth a try. But there's always that fine print disclaimer that colors may change from batch to batch. If I purchased from a Canadian vendor it might be easier. It may end up in the jug of ink graveyard 😉

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post:

KKay (February 8th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Also to note, not that I'm saying this is the case in this particular instance: some of the ingredients of inks are elements and compounds that either change from the supplier or become unobtainable, and the formula simply must be rewritten. Honestly, I can't remember what or when it was, but I *do* remember some ink being reformulated and also noted as such by the maker when one or more ingredients had ceased to be available.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (June 30th, 2017), Chrissy (February 9th, 2017), Dreck (February 9th, 2017), Woody (February 9th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 4,002 Posts

Noodler's 'Black Swan in Australian Roses' changed so significantly that it ought to have been renamed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 9th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Thanks Kay. Worth a try. But there's always that fine print disclaimer that colors may change from batch to batch. If I purchased from a Canadian vendor it might be easier. It may end up in the jug of ink graveyard 😉
    If you cannot get satisfaction from the retailer, please contact the North American distributor. John or Carol (@luxurybrandsusa.com) should be able to assist you. They are also the best positioned to advise you on what particular security variation shades of Nightshade are currently available from retailers.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chemyst For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

I hear your pain, Woody. I find it advisable occasionally only to purchase samples because I have grown less confident of consistency over time from the smaller individual producers. Some like the random variable; I do not.

Sent from my BLU ADVANCE 5.0 HD using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (February 19th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chemyst View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    If you cannot get satisfaction from the retailer, please contact the North American distributor. John or Carol (@luxurybrandsusa.com) should be able to assist you. They are also the best positioned to advise you on what particular security variation shades of Nightshade are currently available from retailers.
    Great link Chemyst. I never thought they would actually respond, but perhaps. I'm not looking for a free bottle, but the swaps on most vendors don't match the ink. It's an interesting color on the burgundy side. It's certainly not a walnut brown that I received.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (February 21st, 2017)