Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grail Pens

Thanks

Default Re: Grail Pens

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    I really want a Sailor Black Velvet. It's a newer model, but by the time I snag one, it may be vintage....
    Perhaps the lady would consider a Sailor Pro Gear 'Mocha' instead?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

amk (April 2nd, 2018), da vinci (February 12th, 2017), hansdown (March 5th, 2017), Mags (March 6th, 2017), WmEdwards (February 13th, 2017)

Thanks

In vintage I suspect true grail pens have to combine two criteria: first rarity, and secondly something distinctive, whether that's size (Waterman 20), eccentric filling systems (Baignol tank), design, tech (Meteore Pullman with its retractable nib) whatever. Rarity means Parker 51 can't be a grail pen - unless it's a prototype, an original demonstrator, or a particularly unusual model of one of the rarer colours.

I personally don't think price makes a grail pen. There has to be some element of rarity - there has to be some kind of a hunt, some luck involved (and I don't mean winning the lottery). In fact, it might be more difficult to find that last colour Pelikano that I don't have than to find some more frequently touted 'grail' pens!

Alternatively, perhaps a custom pen could be considered a 'grail'. I might go the whole hog and combine the 'grail' theme with a proper pilgrimage to the shrine of Hakase... that would be an interesting way to spend the summer vacation!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

roguez (February 14th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    In vintage I suspect true grail pens have to combine two criteria: first rarity, and secondly something distinctive, whether that's size (Waterman 20), eccentric filling systems (Baignol tank), design, tech (Meteore Pullman with its retractable nib) whatever. Rarity means Parker 51 can't be a grail pen - unless it's a prototype, an original demonstrator, or a particularly unusual model of one of the rarer colours.

I personally don't think price makes a grail pen. There has to be some element of rarity - there has to be some kind of a hunt, some luck involved (and I don't mean winning the lottery). In fact, it might be more difficult to find that last colour Pelikano that I don't have than to find some more frequently touted 'grail' pens!

Alternatively, perhaps a custom pen could be considered a 'grail'. I might go the whole hog and combine the 'grail' theme with a proper pilgrimage to the shrine of Hakase... that would be an interesting way to spend the summer vacation!
    But don't you think that limitation of an edition and price can put a pen out of reach, thereby making it a "Grail Pen"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    Vintage: Lamy 2000 first year of production, with papers and all; Lamy Unic, black with 14 k nib; Lamy Persona titanium; Lamy 27 in mint condition....
    Did you see the solid 14-carat gold vintage Lamy that Christof is selling in the classifieds? It's a bargain.

Fred
    Yes, Fred, I did - beautiful! Momentarily a bit out of my affordability range, but absolutley desirable!

Thanks

Sailor Autumn Under The Stars... I would sell a leg for one... but my leg wouldn't fetch enough
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sammyo For This Useful Post:

amk (February 13th, 2017), JapaG (April 6th, 2017), penwash (May 3rd, 2017), roguez (February 14th, 2017), WmEdwards (February 13th, 2017)

Thanks

My Grail Pen is MONTBLANC's Charlie Chaplin pen

Reactivated penthusiast
    I write letters year-round: http://postable.com/christinao

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristyOTwisty For This Useful Post:

Mags (March 6th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby190 View Post
    But don't you think that limitation of an edition and price can put a pen out of reach, thereby making it a "Grail Pen"?
    Only if it makes it really difficult. For instance, if it's a pen that came out ten years ago in a limited edition and very rarely comes up for sale, AND you want it with a BBB nib, AND you have to sell two pens or save up for months to get it, yet it's a grail. If it's a Pelikan LE where all you have to do is get your order in to the retailer PDQ, and you've got the funds - no, it's not a grail.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Jacoby190 (May 3rd, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby190 View Post
    Only if it makes it really difficult. For instance, if it's a pen that came out ten years ago in a limited edition and very rarely comes up for sale, AND you want it with a BBB nib, AND you have to sell two pens or save up for months to get it, yet it's a grail. If it's a Pelikan LE where all you have to do is get your order in to the retailer PDQ, and you've got the funds - no, it's not a grail.
    I've been busy and forgot this comment came back. Also, I thought up more about what you said in terms of Grail Pens. I would definitely stand by your assessment of it more now. I guess mine is more a pen, (or set) that I would really, really want if I have the funds, but far more mainstream than other pans I have seen or heard about others wanting. Which pen(s)would you call your Grail Pen(s)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

here is my submission, with so few of them around and with the current price on ebay its certainly unobtainable for most

Omas lover, and have a few other pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by notsim View Post
    here is my submission, with so few of them around and with the current price on ebay its certainly unobtainable for most

Good aspirations.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 806 Posts

My grail pen is this one:

ChristofL139.jpg

(pen and picture courtesy of Christof)

Thanks

This is a terrible thread! Making me look at things I really can't afford or even find for sale. :'(

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

As long as we're dreaming together... LOL!
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

For me the question of money does not a grail make.

My grail pen is one made to fit my hand, crafted in Ghost Koi alumilite, and fitted with a medium cursive italic nib.

Of these parts I can only obtain the nib.

In order to satisfy this grail quest both seeker and creator must overcome the prejudices that so beset our modern world and sow discord among us all.

Thus far this has proved to be an impossible task, and may well remain so.

Thanks

Mine is a Visconti London fog. Beautiful!

Thanks

Mmmm, my grail pen is a Hakase flat top in buffalo horn. But what makes it a real grail is... having to go to Japan to order it. I've promised myself the trip. Not in the short term perhaps!

(Yes, I know I don't *have* to go to Japan to order it. But I want to go to Japan, and the Hakase would be something very special for me. Quite a few other pen shops to visit too!)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

penwash (April 2nd, 2018)