Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comparing three Pilot and Sailor Flat Top pens.

Thanks

Default Re: Comparing three Pilot and Sailor Flat Top pens.

Jar. Thank You for your work on this post. I really enjoyed it.

Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Jar. Thank You for your work on this post. I really enjoyed it.

Bill
    Great. Glad it worked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tseg View Post
    While this thread may be a relic, the data contained is still relevant. So thanks much for the assessment. I recently purchased the KOP Pro Gear Black/Rhodium and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. That is an interesting assessment of the KOP weight that the experience writing posted may be even more enjoyable (or at least balanced) than un-posted. I guess I'll find out in a month or less when my pen arrives. Also, that Custom 845 Vermillion initially caught my attention. Good thing I could not locate it easily... my interest in that pen has waned and your review provides additional reinforcement.

The KOP Pro Gear Rhodium just sung to me. I can't explain it... picked it over a clear demonstrator and the ebonite version and I also picked this over a Pelikan M1000 even though I had a sweet price on the Pelikan, 30% discount to the KOP. But when it sings it sings, when it doesn't it doesn't.
    Glad it helped. Keep us posted on how the KoP does for you.
    I ended up getting the M1000 because my KoP wait has taken forever. And I'm still waiting for the KoP... but now it is in the US. Hopefully this week it will all come together.

Thanks

While this thread may be a relic, the data contained is still relevant. So thanks much for the assessment. I recently purchased the KOP Pro Gear Black/Rhodium and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. That is an interesting assessment of the KOP weight that the experience writing posted may be even more enjoyable (or at least balanced) than un-posted. I guess I'll find out in a month or less when my pen arrives. Also, that Custom 845 Vermillion initially caught my attention. Good thing I could not locate it easily... my interest in that pen has waned and your review provides additional reinforcement.

The KOP Pro Gear Rhodium just sung to me. I can't explain it... picked it over a clear demonstrator and the ebonite version and I also picked this over a Pelikan M1000 even though I had a sweet price on the Pelikan, 30% discount to the KOP. But when it sings it sings, when it doesn't it doesn't.
    I ended up getting the M1000 because my KoP wait has taken forever. And I'm still waiting for the KoP... but now it is in the US. Hopefully this week it will all come together.
    They are truly totally opposite pens. My Pelikan 1050 always felt too long and unbalanced (but that might have just been the Sterling vermeil cap) and awkward when unposted. The nib though was wonderful. The Pelikan also had a bad habit of the cap coming loose when the pen was in my pocket and more the once I pulled it out to find all I had was the cap with an open nib up pen still in my pocket.

The KoP though simply feels as though it was made just for me; the same feeling I always got for my Alfa Romeos.

Thanks

Your assessment of the Pelikan M1000 and the KoP Pro Gear are both spot on. For the M1000 people speak positive of the 3/4 turn to remove the cap but it does not lock tight well and if it becomes loose the cap will quickly pop off. The pen does feel like holding onto a big stick but I have the M nib working like a hot buttered double-broad. I find myself coming back to it a lot because I have invested a lot of energy/time to get the nib and ink working like a dream and the pen has a very different feel than any other pen I own.

But my Pro Gear Black/Iridium/Chrome on Nickel King of Pen (B) really has captured my affections. For writing like a Western Medium it has a very defined sweet spot but now a few months in the pen has trained my hand and arm to land on the sweet spot perfectly every time. When I have that nib cruising over paper like a puck on an air hockey machine there is nothing like it. The girth of the section just fits naturally in my hand and the balance is amazing. I started to use it posted but it was scratching up my resin barrel so I've now learned to use it unposted. Luckily I was able to get the scratches out using Polywatch polisher and numerous 5 minute sessions with a Q-tip. It is such a sharp manly looking pen... and that big beautiful nib. Really amazing. I love the anchor medallion on the finial which is one more reason I liked the ProGear over the ebonite KoP version.

I believe I've gotten over the limited ink capacity through my double-cartridge assembly using stretched Parafilm tape... capacity is pushing 2ml, including the ink feed so can write quite a few pages before needing syringe filled again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Nakaya made me believe I was ALL SET with fountain pens, but chatter about the Pilot's #10 PO nib caught my interest and wouldn't let go. And the Pilot Falcon.

I love these nibs. I have a Sailor 1911 (H-EF), a super smooth nib. I have Nakayas and a Platinum (the 3776 UEF nib in a Nakaya Piccolo). Great nibs! But... these Pilot nibs.... They're my favorite. The #10 PO and the Falcon SEF. Total... love. Loves me my Nakayas, duh, but Pilot makes super fantastic pens. If only Pilot made Piccolo Cigars in urushi/tamenuri. Oh well... just means carrying five pens around and not two. I mean, three.

All three pen-makers -- I have no qualms about buying any of them.

Thanks

Hello Jar, Just discovered this review. Like all of your posts, it is informative and interesting. Thank you for your serious evaluation of two noteworthy fountain pens, as well as the additional photos & information. The KoP Pro Gear has lately become one of my favorite users. These days I find it more comfortable than my 1911-style KoPs in either plastic or ebonite. Since our tastes vary over time, so I'm sure to fall in love with the regular KoP again before long. Thanks again for your post. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Best wishes, Barry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry B. Gabay View Post
    Hello Jar, Just discovered this review. Like all of your posts, it is informative and interesting. Thank you for your serious evaluation of two noteworthy fountain pens, as well as the additional photos & information. The KoP Pro Gear has lately become one of my favorite users. These days I find it more comfortable than my 1911-style KoPs in either plastic or ebonite. Since our tastes vary over time, so I'm sure to fall in love with the regular KoP again before long. Thanks again for your post. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Best wishes, Barry
    Glad you found it and enjoyed. I had totally forgotten that I wrote it but interestingly just refilled the ProGear KoP again recently and surprisingly still feel much the same as I did almost two years ago when this was first written.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

You said that you were going to discuss the pocket-unfriendliness of the Pilot Custom ball-end clip, but if you did I missed it. I have a Custom 74 on the way, and I guess I'll come to my own conclusions regarding it, but I'd like to hear your take on it. Also surprised that you didn't like the vermilion urushi. I've never seen one in the flesh or written with one, but the photos I've seen were enticing. Oh well, I can't afford one anyway, so for me it's moot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    You said that you were going to discuss the pocket-unfriendliness of the Pilot Custom ball-end clip, but if you did I missed it. I have a Custom 74 on the way, and I guess I'll come to my own conclusions regarding it, but I'd like to hear your take on it. Also surprised that you didn't like the vermilion urushi. I've never seen one in the flesh or written with one, but the photos I've seen were enticing. Oh well, I can't afford one anyway, so for me it's moot.
    The Pilot Custom ball end clips are the most difficult to slip over the edge of most of my shirt pockets. The Custom Heritage clips hold every bit as well and are significantly easier to slip on or off the fabric of my shirt pockets.

I was surprised as well. But it was simply the nib that was the issue, I still have the black urushi 845. But then I prefer the Sailor King of Pen Pro Gear over the Pilot 845 urushi.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    The Pilot Custom ball end clips are the most difficult to slip over the edge of most of my shirt pockets. The Custom Heritage clips hold every bit as well and are significantly easier to slip on or off the fabric of my shirt pockets.

I was surprised as well. But it was simply the nib that was the issue, I still have the black urushi 845. But then I prefer the Sailor King of Pen Pro Gear over the Pilot 845 urushi.
    Thank you kindly!

Thanks

Well, the Custom 74 came, and I've had no problems with the ball end clip. Slips right over the pocket fabric, on dress shirts, anyway. I haven't tried it with a heavy flannel Pendleton-style shirt yet, though.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Fantastic. Glad it's working.