Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What does your desk/work area look like? Do you keep your fountain pens on it?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Default Re: What does your desk/work area look like? Do you keep your fountain pens on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wahl View Post
    Desk and pen display

I'd like to know about the camera on the left side, please. It looks like a Leica Oskar Barnack prototype.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Default Re: What does your desk/work area look like? Do you keep your fountain pens on it?

image.jpg

This is the "writing area" of my desk at work. Some of my fountain pens live on the desk, most live in a case in the desk drawer. The desk is usually more cluttered than this.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to datainadequate For This Useful Post:

da vinci (February 23rd, 2017), roguez (February 20th, 2017)

Thanks

Here are two pictures of my messy desk quite a few years ago. Right now it's a nightmare! Sorry about the pics! My desk takes up 70% of my room, ha, ha, ha......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi # 63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE F/P, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado,Genkai Nakaya Decapodl Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain!, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa Fe Style Custom "51" Made by Ralph Prather - president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chi Town For This Useful Post:

Cob (February 15th, 2017), da vinci (February 15th, 2017), datainadequate (February 15th, 2017), roguez (February 20th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahl View Post
    Desk and pen display

I'd like to know about the camera on the left side, please. It looks like a Leica Oskar Barnack prototype.
    Hi Penwash, it´s a Leica If (1951-1956), which I inherited from my father in law.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wahl For This Useful Post:

roguez (February 20th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roguez View Post
    .... I think they now believe I am a bit eccentric lol. It's a mixed bag with others. Some can't stand to hear my small collection of wind up travel alarm clocks tick tocking non-stop ( I love it!) and others like to write with my desktop fountain pens and feather quill. So I thought I would post a photo of my desktop just like it is.
    Great desk. Yes, I'd say you are maybe a bit eccentric. I think this is a forum where that quality is recognized as rare and valuable. I miss having a wind-up travel alarm! May I ask where you got (or get) yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin_Ute View Post
    ... and yes the center drawer has ink stains in it.
    I love to see ink stains on or in an old desk. I grew up with ink-stained desks. It seems right.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi Town View Post
    Here are two pictures of my messy desk quite a few years ago. Right now it's a nightmare! Sorry about the pics! My desk takes up 70% of my room, ha, ha, ha......
    Chi Town (Chicago connections?), you call your desk messy. Hahahahaha! ... It's just as well I don't have any pictures of mine. Actually, right now my work desk is a folding table, as our building is being renovated and we are in temporary quarters. Maybe I can take a picture of my new one in a couple of months; it will probably be hours and hours, maybe even a day or two, before I have it properly covered in heaps of chaos.

I don't have a home desk. Or rather, I have one in the basement that I can't get to. And I've inherited my dad's desk, which is a really nice one, but it's in storage until I can figure out (a) how to get here from the other end of the state and (b) where I can put it when I have it.

Thanks

[QUOTE=R.A. Stewart;200071]

Great desk. Yes, I'd say you are maybe a bit eccentric. I think this is a forum where that quality is recognized as rare and valuable. I miss having a wind-up travel alarm! May I ask where you got (or get) yours?

Thank you! I love my clocks. I have picked them up at various antique stores or estate sales. They are very inexpensive with the most expensive being $8. I love their loud ticking.

Thanks

I played this in the last thread, but recently got a new desk. I stopped at a flea market after lunch with a former co-worker, and found this beautiful wooden desk for $25. This is a fairly normal amount of clutter for me. I have found that I am most efficient when I can keep things moderately organized. The pen I am using (Ranga modified model 8) is shown. The other couple pens I own are in the cup with the scissors and sharpies.
    Attachment 30251
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (February 22nd, 2017), ppmiranda (February 22nd, 2017), roguez (March 9th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dreck View Post
    I played this in the last thread, but recently got a new desk. I stopped at a flea market after lunch with a former co-worker, and found this beautiful wooden desk for $25. This is a fairly normal amount of clutter for me. I have found that I am most efficient when I can keep things moderately organized. The pen I am using (Ranga modified model 8) is shown. The other couple pens I own are in the cup with the scissors and sharpies.
    Attachment 30251
    Wow! What a deal. Well done!!!

Thanks

My desk is always a big cluttered mess of printouts and coffee mugs and general detritus. I could never find a pen right away when I wanted one, no matter how many I had there, until I bought a Platinum Carbon Black pen with a desk stand. Now I can always find a pen in a hurry, as the handle of that one pokes high above the mess

Thanks

Here is where I sit to do journaling and fiddle with my fountain pens. It's our dining room table, by the way. It's been working well for me for a couple of years. The pens are sitting in a pipe rack which sort of limits me to 8 inked up pens; six in the rack, one I'm using for the journal and one over by our grocery list.

20170218_155053.jpg

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BillPorter For This Useful Post:

da vinci (February 23rd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

That looks so comfortable, Dreck! And the chair looks delicious.

I have to say that my desks (I have four--one at work and three in the various areas of the house) are usually cluttered. I keep tidying them up, and stuff keeps creeping onto them! I think it's because I have not found THE ONE DESK. We have a built-in computer desk area, but there's not much room for more than a computer and printer. I can't really sit and write at it.

Then there's the repro Larkin drop leaf desk. I can write at the desk, but there's not much room on the top of it, either. Next to it I have an old desk that mostly just holds stuff out where I can see it.

My desk at work is the least cluttered, but even it gets cluttered. I would write at the kitchen table, but my husband forbids it on the grounds that where I go, clutter follows. I can't blame him. I guess I'm a little like Pigpen, without the dust.
    Last edited by Lady Onogaro; February 22nd, 2017 at 02:22 PM.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

This is mine, it usually looks like this, but with my wife's cats making periodic appearances to rearrange stuff.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WmEdwards For This Useful Post:

da vinci (February 23rd, 2017), Lady Onogaro (February 24th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    That looks so comfortable, Dreck! And the chair looks delicious. (snip)..
    Thank you, it is! The chair was a gift several years ago from the former Academic Dean of the Bible college I attended. It is quite comfortable; both for working and napping. I've done plenty of both in the past decade! The desk measures 6' wide x 3' deep x 31" high, and moving it required removal of the top and the assistance of two burly friends who were paid handsomely in Bourbon and Scotch. The top alone was nearly 100#. Here is a better picture of the setup. I don't care much for light, or direct light (bad for books), so I had to wait until late afternoon, turn on the several dim lamps in my Study, and turn off the desk lamp (Christmas present from my mum, found at a flea market!) to get proper lighting for a picture. Oddly, the desk lamp is almost always on and the others almost always off.

Attachment 30321
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

da vinci (February 23rd, 2017), Lady Onogaro (February 24th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Thank you, it is! The chair was a gift several years ago from the former Academic Dean of the Bible college I attended. It is quite comfortable; both for working and napping. I've done plenty of both in the past decade! The desk measures 6' wide x 3' deep x 31" high, and moving it required removal of the top and the assistance of two burly friends who were paid handsomely in Bourbon and Scotch. The top alone was nearly 100#. Here is a better picture of the setup. I don't care much for light, or direct light (bad for books), so I had to wait until late afternoon, turn on the several dim lamps in my Study, and turn off the desk lamp (Christmas present from my mum, found at a flea market!) to get proper lighting for a picture. Oddly, the desk lamp is almost always on and the others almost always off.

Attachment 30321
    Love the memento mori in the corner.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

22. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (February 24th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Thank you. It's one of several that are in my Study. They're a good reminder for me to make the most of the time I've been graciously given. One visitor remarked that the combination of skulls, spiders, and muted colors are like Halloween year around

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (February 24th, 2017)

Thanks

One visitor remarked that the combination of skulls, spiders, and muted colors are like Halloween year around
    One could hardly ask for a better compliment.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to R.A. Stewart For This Useful Post:

Dreck (February 24th, 2017)

Thanks

Attachment 30321
    Never trust someone with a desk that clean.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

Hawk (February 24th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (February 24th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post

Attachment 30321
    I've heard that Spiders do as he bids them...
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Dreck (February 24th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (February 24th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Dreck's spiders and skulls make up for the desk's clean surface.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Dreck (February 24th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I've heard that Spiders do as he bids them...
    She does indeed. And someday I will discover a way to breed them as large and fierce as wolves...
    Attachment 30362

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

roguez (March 9th, 2017), VertOlive (February 26th, 2017)