Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What does your desk/work area look like? Do you keep your fountain pens on it?

Thanks

Default Re: What does your desk/work area look like? Do you keep your fountain pens on it?

Here is the work (ok play) space in my study (ok pen room). Mac to the left, writing space & pens stored in the red tool chest, black file cabinet below is full of ink, and the table to the right is the repair station.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...WtrRHBrb25HcTQ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wade For This Useful Post:

roguez (March 9th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: What does your desk/work area look like? Do you keep your fountain pens on it?

And now for a current view, during today's blizzard.

IMG_6500.jpg

I opened the door for a better photo, but not long enough to freeze the ink inside the pens in my pen rack.

Fred

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 29th, 2021), Cyril (June 12th, 2022), jbb (March 14th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    And now for a current view, during today's blizzard.

IMG_6500.jpg

I opened the door for a better photo, but not long enough to freeze the ink inside the pens in my pen rack.

Fred
    How many inches so far?
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    How many inches so far?
    The local TV stations have their reporters running around with tape measures to stick into the snow on camera. The range is 10"-13" as of 11:00AM EDT. I like everything about snow except other drivers.

Fred

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

jbb (March 14th, 2017), manoeuver (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    How many inches so far?
    The local TV stations have their reporters running around with tape measures to stick into the snow on camera. The range is 10"-13" as of 11:00AM EDT. I like everything about snow except other drivers.

Fred
    I love driving in the snow, especially fresh snow, as long as I'm the only driver out there. We've only gotten about 8 inches so far, but estimated totals are anywhere from 12-30+ for us.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

jbb (March 14th, 2017)

Thanks

Then, there's another little Stickley drop-front desk in the other bedroom. That's where I keep the paper and stationary that I overbuy.

IMG_3467.jpeg

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 2nd, 2020), CrayonAngelss (October 30th, 2020), Cyril (November 3rd, 2020), Hawker800 (October 30th, 2020), jbb (October 30th, 2020), junglejim (November 2nd, 2020), manoeuver (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks

What a beautiful desk!
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

Thanks

My Ethan Allen desk from my husband's side of the family that I took over with penpalling, oh I mean... use for school.
    I store no ink or pens in my desk! I keep it all on my top shelf in the closet away from small hands

IMG_0316.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrayonAngelss For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (November 1st, 2020), junglejim (November 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

This is a piece of my "desk". I say "desk" as it is my Grandmother's kitchen table from the late 1930's. The leaf I quickly made out of plywood as the original was used on the farm for something needed. I took my cigar out to take the shot. There is a Parker and a Conklin desk pen in view. You can see the edge of a box for a Sheaffer set (if you know me I have hundreds of Sheaffer desk sets but, they aren't on my desk generally). I'm dabbling in watches though a couple of my Grandfather's watches are there as well. The pens I'm using most are out of shot to the right (Targa, Cadmium yellow Imperial, black PFM and a lever 1940's Sheaffer). My desk rarely gets better than this. I bought a Targa recently from Peyton Street Pens - Teri's good people. The ship glasses were my sister's - I keep a few pen sin them so I can dump them for a pour as needed. All that Scotch you don't drink at the Chicago Pen Show ends up in my office - you'd think I was an alcoholic. The green school Sheaffer in the glass over the keyboard is the one I bought in 1980 - filled with peacock and still used. The pennies on the keyboard are to open the sterling Dunhill lighter on the upper right. The Sheaffer ink has been refilled with Sheaffer blueblack Skrip from the 1950's. The churchwarden pipe to the left has not found its way back to the rack. Oh, top left is a Waterbury 8 day clock that is a Waterbury desk set No.1 with a Sheaffer socket circa 1930. If you read all this you must be bored. Thanks,

Roger W.
    Last edited by Roger W.; November 1st, 2020 at 12:52 AM.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roger W. For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 1st, 2020), CrayonAngelss (November 1st, 2020), Cyril (November 3rd, 2020), da vinci (January 5th, 2022), FredRydr (November 1st, 2020), junglejim (November 2nd, 2020), manoeuver (January 8th, 2022), Niels (November 1st, 2020)

Thanks

When my work area at work is the way I like it, all needed tools are within reach, but it's basically tidy and sterile. That's how I like it at work, with just one task or project in front of me and none to the side in a queue. No fountain pens because I work in a laboratory. When things are busy or crazy busy., then my work area looks like a sciencesplosion with tubes and tips and reagents and papers all over the place. That's a given that it will be that way at least once a day, but I don't like it.

At home, my desk is just plain a mess. Not interesting, just a mess. My fountain pens live in Girologio 12 or 24 pen black leather cases when they are not actively in use. The chief feature of my desk at home is the cat. He likes to sit on the keyboard tray and supervise. And headbutt. And purr.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (November 1st, 2020), manoeuver (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Roger, I love those watches. My project/personal desk is similarly "organized". With watches, electronics and other hobbies competing.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (January 8th, 2022), Roger W. (November 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Then, there's another little Stickley drop-front desk in the other bedroom. That's where I keep the paper and stationary that I overbuy.

IMG_3467.jpeg
    You have a very pleasent view, FR.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Desk and view both look fabulous but that chair looks like one that you might not want to spend a long time sitting in....
    What is the glass bottle far right top?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Desk and view both look fabulous but that chair looks like one that you might not want to spend a long time sitting in....
    What is the glass bottle far right top?
    The chair is tolerably comfortable for writing a few letters, but I always move my work to my main desk with ergo chair in the earlier photo. The glass sphere is a crystal inkwell with stars cut into the surface and a brass lid.

IMG_3474.jpeg
    Last edited by FredRydr; November 2nd, 2020 at 07:42 AM.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 2nd, 2020), CrayonAngelss (November 2nd, 2020), Cyril (June 12th, 2022), Schaumburg_Swan (January 10th, 2022)

Thanks

Well I'm a little nerdy and I guess you could say I have techie job . You can't really see my pens but they're resting beneath the largest monitor behind the lit up keyboard.

Cogito, ergo sum
    -- René Descartes 1637

Thanks

I worked for the U.S. Gov't some years ago, and then for a large non-profit organization. At that time, I worked in a generic, modern high-rise in an office as soulless as it was grey. So when I left the government I vowed that my own office would be of the old sort.

So my firm is in an 1880s era Queen Anne just off the green in a small town in New England. I set up my own office in the 1920s-30s style with glass shaded lamps and the old style book cases with the glass fronts and flip-up windows. Uncle Sam may like wall-to-wall carpet, fluorescent lights, and plastic trim, but I hate the stuff. I went with traditional plaster walls and dark wood trim. The office is largely original. The building was custom-built for a prominent local family in about 1883. Their uncle had been the governor back before the Civil War and they had some money.

My desk was a hand-me-down from a previous lawyer who practiced from the 1930s-1990s. I've got an old Victrola and an oak filing cabinet sitting in storage that need to be brought in but I never seem to get around to it. I do have a computer and printer in the office and I use both pretty much every day. My great-uncle built a large, wooden display chest for his china, and it ended up in my office because it had nowhere else to go. My fountain pens go in there, with the bottles of ink and nice sets in the glass-front cabinet to simulate an old-school retail display as one might find it in a pre-war pen shop. There are also some home-made wooden boxes of pens around the office on shelves.

There's a fireplace in the office with an oak mantle on the front of it in the Victorian style. While rummaging in the attic I found a predecessor-attorney's photographs of artillery target practice from when he was in the first war in 1918. Clients who want to go to court appreciate the warlike touch. Also a chunk of coal is on the mantle, from back when the building ran on a coal-fired boiler. We use oil today, but I kept one piece of coal as a souvenir from the old system. You get your choices of oil, coal, or wood here in the winter. You get your pick, but cold is a certainty come January. The doorknobs are wonderful, white porcelain things. They're my favorite doorknobs.

In the corner of each room is a large radiator, which are still used for heat. These are easily 100+ years old but still work just as well as the day they were added. They're warm and not nearly as dry as forced air heat.

Nothing ages like good construction. In 20 years fiber board and plastic look like hell, but solid wood with a good finish looks just fine well past 100. They knew how to build these old houses. Don't muck with an old house unless you're going to replace what's broken with something of equal or greater quality. It's hard to believe we had a tenant in here some years ago who wanted to use sheetrock screws to hold in wall-to-wall grey carpet. He was told "no way" on that one. Good call.

The beauty of this is offset somewhat by the natural surroundings of the attorney. That is to say, there are files upon files stacked up on tables and around the corners of the office. The file cabinets are mostly full, but the piles of paper keep coming. Some of these clients are alive, and some are deceased. But whether alive or dead, they generate paper. The generation of a file and stack of paper when you die is as certain as death itself.
    Last edited by Ray-VIgo; November 2nd, 2020 at 03:40 PM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (January 8th, 2022), Ole Juul (November 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

I am moving to a new house built in 1958. Hardwood floors through out and thick bathroom floors so heavy as to cause some minor deflection. I intend to obtain some rugs of the utility type and cozy things up a bit. My desk will be throughtly masculine as much as the daughter allows. It will be my home that I intend to share 100 percent during the years I have left. My only criteria was to live in five points and by able to right the Kona to Star Market. The dream has come true.

My collection is to be used. Recently I have enjoyed using the Lamys as I would a cheap Bic. Maybe I am learning a thing or two.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Bump, since I got my shop office relatively in order.

IMG_1168.jpeg

And my office in the house, while I'm at it. No, the desk is never this clean ordinarily...

IMG_1111.jpeg
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 29th, 2021), Jon Szanto (June 10th, 2022), manoeuver (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks

I'm not taking a picture of my desk. It's scary. It is where I write, draw and do my wood burning. It has partially art supplies, wips, art supplies and whatever else on it.

It wasn't meant to be used how I use it. It was meant to be a computer desk that closes to conceal the computer and make it look like an armoire.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Thanks

I'm currently in the midst of a research project, so my desk is cluttered. There are pens on the right side, and reference books on the left side. The middle has the computer, keyboard, mouse and a number of notepads much of its space. A decluttering is due once the research paper is written. The deadline is a fortnight away.