Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rocker Blotters

Thanks

Default Re: Rocker Blotters

Here is mine. About $15 on The Bay and a full sized one at around 5" x 3". It's now sporting some fresh for real genuine blotter paper
    courtesy of JBB. It's all glass, even the knob but the part the paper goes against is black painted wood.

Bruce in Ocala, FL
    Last edited by OcalaFlGuy; May 2nd, 2013 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks

Wow! What beautiful blotters! Here's one I snatched up on E-bay a few years ago.

Rocker Blotter.JPG

Thanks

That's so elegant Judybug!
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Oh my gosh, that is so fancy! Thanks for sharing that!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    Oh Holly, I love that inlaid one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post
    Holly - wow, that really is intricate! I am in love with the baby blotter, I need one of those. :thumbup:
    I'm glad you like them, but look at all of the other lovely blotters you and others have! Very nice, and I may spend some time on eBay today drooling over some more of them. (Tempted by the one you are selling, too, Jill.)

I bought the mini blotter from Pen And Ink Arts - they have some pretty cool stuff on that site; check them out if you haven't already.

Now, let's see some more blotters!

Holly

Thanks

Here's some more!
    http://www.collectorsweekly.com/office/ink-blotters
    there's an article on rocker, and blotter history, (Parker, but not ThE Parker), plus examples. click on the most watched, and highest bid, link for a page to see what's currently available on the bay. (NAYY), Some of the advertising blotters have lots of viewers, and command quite a price. (looks like Texaco, and Coca Cola collectors. The top watched is an French Rocker ending soon.
    This paper blotter, The Hair Cut, is charming : )
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/400474819919

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tytoalba View Post
    Here's some more!
    http://www.collectorsweekly.com/office/ink-blotters
    there's an article on rocker, and blotter history, (Parker, but not ThE Parker), plus examples. click on the most watched, and highest bid, link for a page to see what's currently available on the bay. (NAYY), Some of the advertising blotters have lots of viewers, and command quite a price. (looks like Texaco, and Coca Cola collectors. The top watched is an French Rocker ending soon.
    This paper blotter, The Hair Cut, is charming : )
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/400474819919
    Those are pretty cool - thanks for the links, tytoalba.

A bit off topic: I am curious about a statement made in the article in the first link:
    Before blotters were invented, the preferred (albeit expensive) method was sprinkling salt over fresh written text to speed the drying process.
    Salt? Really? I have never heard of using salt for this. Salt was a pretty precious commodity for centuries; if this was indeed a use for it, it must have been a way for rich folks to display their conspicuous consumption! Has anyone else heard of this?

Pounce pots were typically part of desk sets back in the day of dip pens; the "well-dressed" desk had inkwells, dip pen holders and ponce pots on it, everything the writer needed. The pots contained a fine powder - originally made from cuttlefish bones - and were used for drying ink. (And who the heck was the first one to think, hey, if I ground that up, it would be perfect for absorbing ink so I don't smear what I just wrote....?!? Amazing what human beings have come up with; if only they put all of their inventiveness to positive uses....)

Here is an interesting discussion on pounce and what it was used for in the pre-rocker blotter/paper blotter times - and it shows pounce was not only for drying ink but for preparing paper, depending upon what it was to be used for: Pounce Pots

I am sure you have some insight into this, Jill (jbb)!

Holly

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OakIris For This Useful Post:

Judybug (May 3rd, 2013)

Thanks

I've read about pounce pots. Jane Austen's characters are known to use them - or is it Anthony Trollope's characters? No matter. Anyway, I'm wondering if pounce powder would be useful on post cards where it often takes a long time for ink to dry? Can you even buy pounce powder today? I guess I could buy that cuttle bone they sell for birds and grind it up - in my leisure time.

Thanks

I've heard of using cuttlebone and fine sand but not salt for pounce. I've tried fine sand on wet ink and it works. You get little sand crystals stuck in your ink... it's oh so 18th century.

Pouncing paper with gum sandarac will create a better writing surface for dip pen. (It also smells good.) It allows you to get thinner lines. You "pounce" it on your paper before writing. It would probably gum up a fountain pen though.

Thanks

jbb, where do you get your fine sand? Is it available at Home Depot? I'd love to try some on post cards.

Thanks

I steal it from my husband's sand blaster.... the same husband I "borrow" unscented talc from. Home Depot should have it but you might have to buy some silly large amount. Accompanying small children to a playground with a sand box might work if your cagey and bring a vial.

Thanks

WOW! They all make my rocker blotter look so ordinary