Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's make America Grate Again.

Thanks

Default Re: Let's make America Grate Again.

I knew the new bromance would eventually show cracks, but not this soon.

“Narcissists will never tell you the truth. They live with the fear of abandonment and can't deal with facing their own shame. Therefore, they will twist the truth, downplay their behavior, blame others and say what ever it takes to remain the victim. They are master manipulators and conartists that don't believe you are smart enough to figure out the depth of their disloyalty. Their needs will always be more important than telling you any truth that isn't in their favor..”
    ― Shannon L. Alder

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

What's this about, Chuck?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

dneal (November 18th, 2022)

Thanks

How did that go for Stacey Abrams? Well, I guess it is worth a try (although don't ask Trump's lawyers: they ended up facing censure and having to pay all the fees involved)

Kari Lake is going to sue...awesome...never would have predicted this, you know, since when asked she basically said that she would only accept if she won (that should sound familiar, too)...

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midt...fa6a5364bc296f

Thanks
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,325 Posts

I'll give Stacey Abrams credit though, she was tenacious in her first defeat. Kari needs to shut up and take the loss. I enjoyed her sparring with the media, and her experience as a journalist showed in her polished rhetoric; but the time for election denying is over. It's too cliche, if nothing else.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

I did not mind Gore trying to keep the counting going. I believe in counting every fucking ballot.

But I did not like Abrams' suit.

I did not like Hilary's whining.

I HATED Trump's debacle.

ANd I sure don't like this, Recounts are fine, when they are triggered by law. We should be patient and get it right according to the rules of state law. Why not. But throwing these things to the courts is a massive diversion and waste of time and resources and good will in the populace (whatever might be left). It's craven. She literally--like Trump--would not say that she would accept defeat if she lost.

That should disqualify one from office, like it should say on the nomination form, "Once ballot counting is complete, I hearby agree to accept the certified results of the several states of the United States of America (or several districts and counties of my state) Failure to do so means forfeiture of entitlement to the office regardless of the outcome"...etc etc.

Thanks

If you have not seen it in a while (I had not), here is the text of Al Gore's concession speech in December of 2000 (sorry for the lousy format, I fixed as much as my patience could tolerate)

Dec. 13, 2000 -- The following is the text of Vice President Al Gore’s address to the nation, in which he withdrew his claim to the hotly contested 2000 presidential race.

GORE: Good evening.
    Just moments ago, I spoke with George W. Bush and congratulated him on becoming the 43rd president of the United States — and I promised him that I wouldn’t call him back this time.
    I offered to meet with him as soon as possible so that we can start to heal the divisions of the campaign and the contest through which we just passed.
    Almost a century and a half ago, Senator Stephen Douglas (ph)told Abraham Lincoln, who had just defeated him for the presidency,“Partisan feeling must yield to patriotism. I’m with you, Mr.President, and God bless you.”
    Well, in that same spirit, I say to President-elect Bush thatwhat remains of partisan rancor must now be put aside, and may Godbless his stewardship of this country.
    Neither he nor I anticipated this long and difficult road.Certainly neither of us wanted it to happen. Yet it came, and now it has ended, resolved, as it must be resolved, through the honored institutions of our democracy.
    Over the library of one of our great law schools is inscribed the motto, “Not under man but under God and law.” That’s the ruling principle of American freedom, the source of our democratic liberties. I’ve tried to make it my guide throughout this contest as it has guided America’s deliberations of all the complex issues of the past five weeks.
    Now the U.S. Supreme Court has spoken. Let there be no doubt,while I strongly disagree with the court’s decision, I accept it. I accept the finality of this outcome which will be ratified next Monday in the Electoral College. And tonight, for the sake of our unity of the people and the strength of our democracy, I offer my concession.
    I also accept my responsibility, which I will discharge unconditionally, to honor the new president elect and do everything possible to help him bring Americans together in fulfillment of the great vision that our Declaration of Independence defines and that our Constitution affirms and defends. Let me say how grateful I am to all those who supported me and supported the cause for which we have fought. Tipper and I feel a deep gratitude to Joe and Hadassah Lieberman who brought passion and high purpose to our partnership and opened new doors, not just for our campaign but for our country.
    This has been an extraordinary election. But in one of God’s unforeseen paths, this belatedly broken impasse can point us all to a new common ground, for its very closeness can serve to remind us that we are one people with a shared history and a shared destiny.
    Indeed, that history gives us many examples of contests as hotly debated, as fiercely fought, with their own challenges to the popular will. Other disputes have dragged on for weeks before reaching resolution. And each time, both the victor and the vanquished have accepted the result peacefully and in the spirit of reconciliation.

So let it be with us.

I know that many of my supporters are disappointed. I am too.But our disappointment must be overcome by our love of country.
    And I say to our fellow members of the world community, let no one see this contest as a sign of American weakness. The strength ofAmerican democracy is shown most clearly through the difficulties it can overcome.
    Some have expressed concern that the unusual nature of this election might hamper the next president in the conduct of his office.I do not believe it need be so.
    President-elect Bush inherits a nation whose citizens will be ready to assist him in the conduct of his large responsibilities.
    I personally will be at his disposal, and I call on all Americans — I particularly urge all who stood with us to unite behind our next president. This is America. Just as we fight hard when the stakes are high, we close ranks and come together when the contest is done.
    And while there will be time enough to debate our continuing differences, now is the time to recognize that that which unites us is greater than that which divides us.
    While we yet hold and do not yield our opposing beliefs, there is a higher duty than the one we owe to political party. This is America and we put country before party. We will stand together behind our new president.
    As for what I’ll do next, I don’t know the answer to that one yet. Like many of you, I’m looking forward to spending the holidays with family and old friends. I know I’ll spend time inTennessee and mend some fences, literally and figuratively.
    Some have asked whether I have any regrets and I do have one regret: that I didn’t get the chance to stay and fight for theAmerican people over the next four years, especially for those who need burdens lifted and barriers removed, especially for those who feel their voices have not been heard. I heard you and I will not forget.
    I’ve seen America in this campaign and I like what I see. It’s worth fighting for and that’s a fight I’ll never stop.
    As for the battle that ends tonight, I do believe as my father once said, that no matter how hard the loss, defeat might serve as well as victory to shape the soul and let the glory out. So for me this campaign ends as it began: with the love of Tipper and our family; with faith in God and in the country I have been so proud to serve, from Vietnam to the vice presidency; and with gratitude to our truly tireless campaign staff and volunteers,including all those who worked so hard in Florida for the last 36 days.
    Now the political struggle is over and we turn again to the unending struggle for the common good of all Americans and for those multitudes around the world who look to us for leadership in the cause of freedom.
    In the words of our great hymn, “America, America” “Let us crown thy good with brotherhood, from sea to shining sea.”
    And now, my friends, in a phrase I once addressed to others, it’s time for me to go.
    Thank you and good night, and God bless America.

Thanks

I read Josh Hawley's OpEd in the NYT (or WaPo?) today. Wow, do I dislike that guy and his ideas. dneal, did you vote for him in 2018 (or whenever that was)? I not going to bash you for it, I am just curious if he is your cup of tea. He's obviously smart, and has been an effective lawyer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Watching you suck up to @dneal for the sake of engagement. Have you no balls???

Thanks

I read Josh Hawley's OpEd in the NYT (or WaPo?) today. Wow, do I dislike that guy and his ideas. dneal, did you vote for him in 2018 (or whenever that was)? I not going to bash you for it, I am just curious if he is your cup of tea. He's obviously smart, and has been an effective lawyer.
    I’m on the record that I vote, but not for President, representative or senator - those that can declare war or recall me to service. Like most people, he has some things I agree with and some things I don’t. Generally I’m not a fan though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (November 18th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    godsake Chuck

whatever

have a good weekend

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    I’m on the record that I vote, but not for President, representative or senator - those that can declare war or recall me to service. Like most people, he has some things I agree with and some things I don’t. Generally I’m not a fan though.
    What can a senator do with the military?

Thanks

Retired officers can be recalled by the President (under current law passed by Congress), and Congress declares war (or whatever we choose to call it now).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    godsake Chuck

whatever

have a good weekend

Chuck's comments are completely uncalled for.......not to mention mean-spirited.
    But not a surprise. I KNEW sooner or later he would do something like this..........even EoC would not stoop this low (I don't think).

TSherbs, maybe now you can see why I think he is a supreme asshole & as stupid as they come.

Oh, and Chuck, please note I am speaking for myself and no one else.

Thanks

Retired officers can be recalled by the President (under current law passed by Congress), and Congress declares war (or whatever we choose to call it now).
    roger

I thought that war was House only...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Why not join the conversation, Seney?

Thanks

I compliment you & dneal on what you are doing.
    I'm following it / them along and have not really found anything I strongly disagree with or can supplement.
    I have as little an appetite for the Trump candidacy as you do.

Rest assured, if I have something which I believes merits a post, I will do so. As is evidenced by my post, above, in position #213

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    I have as little an appetite for the Trump candidacy as you do
    Who did you vote for in your state? What are you looking for? Are you religious, for example? Libertarian? Fiscal conservative?

Thanks

Will be interesting to see what these Whitmer kidnapping case sentences are.

Meanwhile, retrial motion denied (not unexpected):

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...l/69677945007/

Thanks

Trump, Ye, Yiannopoulos, Fuentes: snakes in a pit turn on each other.

Thanks

Is this a surprise, Ted?