Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's make America Grate Again.

Thanks

Default Re: Let's make America Grate Again.

I've read your posts and his posts, Seny. I know my posts have also been inappropriate often. It is a new year, and we all have a choice of how to communicate. Let's find a way to disagree that continues the conversation. Call me out if I forget.
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

I'll start. I think that some kind of term limit or maximum age for the Supreme Court should be written into the Constitution (amendment). I also think that 2-year terms for Reps is too short but that they should also have a term limit (20 years?).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 632 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I'll start. I think that some kind of term limit or maximum age for the Supreme Court should be written into the Constitution (amendment). I also think that 2-year terms for Reps is too short but that they should also have a term limit (20 years?).
    What term would you select for Supreme Court justices?

What about federal district judges and those on appellate circuit courts?

Here's the present status of those on the Supreme Court:

I'd favor a twenty-year retirement, with perhaps a twenty-five year term for the chief justice.

Thanks

I'm worried also about old age. So 20 years sounds good. And perhaps maximum 85 yo.

Thanks

Appellate judges the same? I hadn't hought about them...
    Last edited by TSherbs; January 22nd, 2023 at 08:39 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    What term would you select for Supreme Court justices?

What about federal district judges and those on appellate circuit courts?

Here's the present status of those on the Supreme Court:

I'd favor a twenty-year retirement, with perhaps a twenty-five year term for the chief justice.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your proposal is pretty much "DOA"
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/97th-c...l/6235?s=1&r=3

Of course, I'm sure you will say this is all Donald Trump's fault.............

Thanks

There is no bad news in this post: this law is unconnected to term limits, and any Constitutional amendment would supercede this law anyway.

Thanks

There is no bad news in this post: this law is unconnected to term limits, and any Constitutional amendment would supercede this law anyway.
    I'm not so sure you are right but, quite frankly, it's a moot point.
    Do you really think that Congress would take away what they have given themselves to assure their long term job and financial security?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Do you really think that Congress would take away what they have given themselves to assure their long term job and financial security?
    I asked the discussion question as a prompt for ideas (what each of us thinks would be an improvement). It's an idea-generating idea. What is your idea for an improvement?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    I asked the discussion question as a prompt for ideas (what each of us thinks would be an improvement). It's an idea-generating idea. What is your idea for an improvement?
    Replacing Joe Biden.
    And, to close the loop as a case in point, who has benefitted more from H.R.6235 - Mandatory Retirement Abolition Act of 1982 then him??

Thanks

I also think that we should reform campaign finance: put both a time limit and a dollar limit on expenditures (England does both of these, and I approve).

Thanks

I also think that we should enact a slightly more progressive tax bracket system, and increase the inheritance/estate tax. The movement of wealth up the income brackets is a bad (insecure) indicator for the future.

Thanks

Joe Biden is currently in an elected position with a very strict and short term limit. You'll get your wish in 2 years, or 6.

Thanks

Joe Biden is currently in an elected position with a very strict and short term limit. You'll get your wish in 2 years, or 6.
    True. But he never would have been elected to that Office before H.R.6235 nor would he have become a multi, multi millionaire.
    His many multi million dollars mansions (which now, by the way, are all being discovered to be repositories for classified documents) were purchased with dollars he'd have never had were it not for H.R.6235

Thanks

So, you support the idea of congressional term limits? How about an age limit? I say 85 yo should be tops (and a term limit of 20 years to boot).

I also suggested lengthening Rep terms because two years means a continuous cycle of sucking up and fundraising. 2 years is too short for the modern world.

Thanks

So, you support the idea of congressional term limits? How about an age limit? I say 85 yo should be tops (and a term limit of 20 years to boot).

I also suggested lengthening Rep terms because two years means a continuous cycle of sucking up and fundraising. 2 years is too short for the modern world.
    I am uncomfortable with "age limits" on just about anything. Age is a relative thing, IMO. I know Octogenarians who can run circles around most "40 somethings" and are much sharper, too.
    I think the only exception, for me, would be airline pilots.......

Thanks

Commercial pilots already have this (65).

How about term limits? The point isn't to weed out dementia. The point is to unlock the courts and Congress from entrenched leadership, thinking, and cronyism. The presidential term limit was not put in because FDR was going soft in the head. It was to put a cap on consolidated power and influence in one figure.

Thanks

Commercial pilots already have this (65).

How about term limits? The point isn't to weed out dementia. The point is to unlock the courts and Congress from entrenched leadership, thinking, and cronyism. The presidential term limit was not put in because FDR was going soft in the head. It was to put a cap on consolidated power and influence in one figure.
    Thanks. I was well aware of the age restriction on commercial pilots but thought, in view of my comments, that I should express my support.
    I'd be fine with term limits, too. And a whole lot more scrutiny to prevent the Biden's, Pelosi's, and other like minded scumbags from becoming so filthy rich as a result of their influence peddling, insider trading, quid pro quos etc., etc.

Thanks

Several sources put Biden's net worth between 7-8 million dollars. He owns two houses. His indebtedness sort of surprised me including student loan debt for his children and mortgages. His annual salary as POTUS is $400,000.

Pelosi's net worth might be as much as 250 million, with 90 million in debt. Her husband owns a financial institution. She make approximately $200k per year as a representative.

I personally do not think of them as a scumbag. I don't consider Trump a scumbag. He is many things that I find deplorable, and my opinions come directly from what he has done and spoke. I would not consider any of these people as role models for me. For me, they are US citizens doing a job for which the people did choose for that job. Not everyone is going to like them, but it has to be recognized that the American people voted for them. So, perhaps it would be better to blame them.
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

I was reading todays op-ed by Eric Foner, who wrote, The Second Founding, a book about the 13, 14, and 15th Amendments. Anyway, I checked out some previous op-eds he wrote and discovered one from 2018. Below is an abstract from that article. Since some are being called "scum bags", I could help but think of this thread when I read.

"In an interview with the news program “Axios on HBO,” President Trump announced that he plans to issue an executive order ending birthright citizenship, the principle that everyone born in the United States, with a handful of exceptions, is automatically a citizen of the United States.

“It was always told to me,” the president declared, “that you needed a constitutional amendment. Guess what? You don’t.”

In fact, such an order would undoubtedly be unconstitutional. It would also violate a deeply rooted American idea — that anybody, regardless of race, religion, national origin, or the legal status of one’s parents, can be a loyal citizen of this country."